PDA

View Full Version : How do you treat others?

John Kasaian
12-Mar-2007, 21:21
The 'meeting famous photographers' thread got me to thinking. While I haven't met all that many famous photographers, all the ones I have met were real gentlemen and a genuine delight to speak with---not at all like the stereotypical altruistic "famous arteest" we see portrayed in fiction. So heres my question to us not famous (dare I say---"infamous?") photographers:
How do you treat others when you meet the public, either in the field or when showing your prints?

Claude Sapp
12-Mar-2007, 21:36
I know some get annoyed by curious persons met in the field while shooting, but personally I enjoy the encounter. As long as it is not some "informed" person who just spent a gazillion dollars on a new digital that is in every way better than my analog stuff, and who wants to tell me all about it.

I like sharing the view of the groundglass with someone who has never seen it before. "It's upside down!!!" is usually the first comment. Most are impressed, and I think those of us who shoot B&W forget the groundglass is in vivid color, and quite pretty to look at.

A Polaroid back is fun to share with kids. I helped a kid take a picture of a bull moose in Glacier National, and he was excited to walk away with a print. I think most of us have probably forgotten too that most kids have probably never seen a Polaroid print, and that is kind of gee-whiz to them too.

It should all boil down to that categorical imperative - how would YOU like to be treated?

David Karp
12-Mar-2007, 21:43
I love to show people what you can see on the GG. Unless I am working with fading light, or have to get the photo right then, I always let them take a peek under the darkcloth and explain until they don't want any more explaining. If I am in a rush, I explain politely, and then finish my photo. Then if they stuck around, I will let them take a look if they want.

Who knows? Maybe someone will get the bug, and they can help us keep film around so we can all keep having fun.

Brian C. Miller
12-Mar-2007, 21:57
Respect.

When I am shown a print for critique, I never just trash the print. If there's something wrong and I can't succinctly say what it is, then I don't say it. For instance, years ago a fellow working at a camera store I frequented showed me a print, mountain and trees. I said that it was OK, and asked what camera he used. Something bugged me about that print, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Now I know, years later. Half the picture was the mountain (order), and the other half was the pine trees (chaos). But it wasn't a good chaos, so it didn't quite do anything for the photo. But since I couldn't succinctly say what bugged me, I kept my mouth shut.

Of course, though, there are many photographers that I'd like to ask, "When you make a photograph, what do you think you are photographing?"

Brian Ellis
12-Mar-2007, 23:07
I always try to be polite and like others, I often ask if they want to look through the ground glass. I've only gotten irritated a couple times, when people went on and on and on about something of absolutely no interest while the light was changing and I wanted to get the photograph before I lost it. I used to get stopped all the time with questions about the wood and brass Tachihara. I don't think the Master Technika ever generated a single question, people probably thought I was a surveyer.

Greg Lockrey
13-Mar-2007, 00:25
When I want their opinion, I'll beat it out of 'em.:eek:

walter23
13-Mar-2007, 00:40
I'm about as far from a famous photographer as you can get, but I usually enjoy meeting other photographers out in the real world, whether on the streets or out in the country. Actually I can't think of a single negative experience.

At one spot near Banff that I go to occasionally, I'll see an endless parade of people on tight vacation schedules pulling up, snapping a shot or two, and then taking off, while I'm waiting for sunset. Some of them are quite nice to talk to, I meet quite a few foreigners there from a variety of different backgrounds. It's also sort of amusing feeling like you're trapped in a slow motion time-warp.

MIke Sherck
13-Mar-2007, 06:19
I tell them that I have candy in my car.

Jim Rhoades
13-Mar-2007, 06:27
Some of the best people I've ever met has been through photography. Workshops and the forums allow a country wide net of assistance.

alec4444
13-Mar-2007, 06:29
I've enjoyed chatting with people...the only bummer is that the "speil" gets old after a while. Kinda feels like one of those poor souls that runs a booth at a trade show.

I've typically found that if I'm in a pinch situation and I don't have time to yap that wearing headphones usually keeps people from approaching me. Whether you listen to music or not is your choice. A lot of people don't want to talk, they'd rather sit back and watch.

Most of the people I've met have been really nice. NYC is a great place to shoot.

--A

Ash
13-Mar-2007, 06:32
I don't really meet anyone through large format work, since I'm only starting out. I do meet a lot of people because of small format though.

To be honest a lot of people I'm introduced to, I'm introduced as a photographer - for example a friend will introduce me to someone they know as "This is Ash" followed by a compliment about my photography - probably because there's nothing else you could compliment me on :D

If I meet people on the street who ask about my cameras or something like that I'll usually be nice and friendly, but I'll underestimate the cost of my gear so no-one feels it necessary to relieve me of anything I own :)

I love talking to other people who have a passion for photography and know what they're talking about, or are eager to learn. Course at my age I've met too many people in my generation (younger or older) who believe they know everything and talk like they do - it's painful having to correct them without seeming more big-headed than they are.

Maybe I just have a lot of impatience :)

Frank Petronio
13-Mar-2007, 06:34
If someone is bothering me, I just ask em to pose naked for me. That usually gets rid of them quickly.

Greg Lockrey
13-Mar-2007, 06:44
If someone is bothering me, I just ask em to pose naked for me. That usually gets rid of them quickly.

How many have said "yes"? ;)

Scott Davis
13-Mar-2007, 07:20
I do my very best to be a gentleman and talk to anyone who is interested enough to ask me about what I'm doing. I've met some very interesting people that way, and it has even gotten me on TV in Argentina. I was out shooting photos of this one historic neighborhood, and a TV crew came up and interviewed me. It is a lot of fun, most of the time, with the previously noted exceptions of trying to get a shot with changing light. I really enjoy showing kids the view on the ground glass. I even get "It's like a TV!" when showing people the viewfinder on a Hasselblad.

Cameras are a great way to meet people in a foreign country. All over Argentina, I got lots of friendly attention with my 5x7. In Spain, I met a number of people with whom I had extended conversations around my Hasselblad. I think it is the different form factor of medium and large format cameras that piques curiosity and gets people engaged. The whole "you can still get film for that???" line of discussion does get tedious, but I still like doing it because it helps evangelize for film.

Walter Calahan
13-Mar-2007, 08:22
The way I want to be greeted.

Eric Biggerstaff
13-Mar-2007, 09:02
I am a people person and really enjoy getting to know others.

That said, I tend to give what I get. Most people are polite and interested in what I am doing, so I take the time to explain and let them look ( unless the light is going fast). By and large, most people are honest, polite and respectful so I return their kindness with mine. Every once in a while there are jerks in the world, and I don't tend to tolerate them very well.

Ralph Barker
13-Mar-2007, 10:33
I try to treat everyone,regardless of their "station" in life, with civility and respect, often with a touch of humor.

For example, the other evening I was driving down Central Avenue in Albuquerque. I pulled over to the curb near where an attractive, but provocatively-dressed young woman was standing. She came over to my vehicle, leaned in the passenger window, and said, "Hello, handsome. Are you looking for a date?" To which I politely replied, "No thank you, Miss. I just stopped to see if you had heard any good large format photography jokes lately." ;)

Scott Davis
13-Mar-2007, 10:52
I try to treat everyone,regardless of their "station" in life, with civility and respect, often with a touch of humor.

For example, the other evening I was driving down Central Avenue in Albuquerque. I pulled over to the curb near where an attractive, but provocatively-dressed young woman was standing. She came over to my vehicle, leaned in the passenger window, and said, "Hello, handsome. Are you looking for a date?" To which I politely replied, "No thank you, Miss. I just stopped to see if you had heard any good large format photography jokes lately." ;)

Ralph- are you sure she was really a she? There's been a rash of that kind of thing happening to celebrities lately.

jnantz
13-Mar-2007, 14:06
john

i try to treat others the way
i would like to treat me ...

that is more than i can say for others i have met ...

-john

Marko
13-Mar-2007, 14:24
Me, I just try to NOT treat others the way I wouldn't want to be treated myself.

I hate rudeness and arrogance of any kind, as well as violence and profanities. So I try hard to abstain from those.

As for "the greats", we're all human and we are all really good at something or the other. Well, most of us anyway. I see no reason why being very good at one thing would give anybody a licence to look down at others.

Alan Davenport
13-Mar-2007, 18:25
I get under the darkcloth, then hold a .44 magnum revolver in front of the camera and try to hold a sight picture through the camera lens.

Never seen any visitors when I come up for air. :eek:

Rakesh Malik
14-Mar-2007, 09:09
Nearly everyone who's commented about my cameras has expressed curiosity about them. One guy was pretty surprised to see a Kiev camera when I was shooting alongside a street in Ukraine :)

The Ebony 4x5 tends to attract attention when I have it set up, though. It's always been fascination, and quite a few people ask to look through it, but that's been about it. I've never had anyone bug me during quick-changing light conditions, probably because I tend to shoot those from hard-to-reach places that ordinary folks don't attempt to get to ;)

Marko
14-Mar-2007, 09:13
Rakesh,

Your links are not working. Looks like you have pasted your local (HD) address or something like that...

Robert Hall
14-Mar-2007, 14:28
I find that using a view camera is a performing art. I love the groups that gather, and for that matter, those that don't, but stand behind with a most puzzeled look.

I've yet been let down by peoples kindness and try to return the same.

Unless I am driving to work. ;)

Rakesh Malik
15-Mar-2007, 13:56
Rakesh,

Your links are not working. Looks like you have pasted your local (HD) address or something like that...

D'oh! Hopefully, they're fixed now... thanks for letting me know!

I don't know how that happened... probably from selecting the wrong block of text when I was cutting and pasting out of laziness :o

JW Dewdney
15-Mar-2007, 14:06
I'd really love to be able to chat with people and enjoy the cameraderie - but, I have to admit with shame - that, when I'm in 'the zone' and setting up for a shot... I find it pretty irritating. To say the least. I think there's a time and a place for meeting new people - but when I'm shooting is not one of them. I have a hard enough time remembering to pull the darkslide when I'm alone....!

Eric James
15-Mar-2007, 14:10
I'd really love to be able to chat with people and enjoy the cameraderie - but, I have to admit with shame - that, when I'm in 'the zone' and setting up for a shot... I find it pretty irritating. To say the least. I think there's a time and a place for meeting new people - but when I'm shooting is not one of them. I have a hard enough time remembering to pull the darkslide when I'm alone....!

Ditto!

"cameraderie" :)

Ralph Barker
15-Mar-2007, 14:32
How about a t-shirt or jacket that says, "Quiet, please. I'm in The Zone." ;)

Rakesh Malik
15-Mar-2007, 14:52
Emblazon that on the darkcloth :)

Doug Dahl
15-Mar-2007, 14:56
Thats a cool idea there Ralph! The darkcloth idea rocks too!

Alan Davenport
16-Mar-2007, 13:28
I find that using a view camera is a performing art.

That may be the most accurate capsule description of public reaction yet.

Robert Coenen
16-Mar-2007, 14:03
I know my girlfriend gets a kick out of watching me with "spectators". She comes with me on a lot of shoots as a third hand for some of my camera gear, while toting here TLR Yashica.

I greet people as they look oddly at me and welcome questions. Adults tend to be more timid than children. But I always end up inviting kids and reluctant adults to look under the darkcloth. Which tends to lossen both up and starts the questions flowing.

I always have to watch their faces closely, as there is usually that point where I begin to provide more information than any non-photographer would ever want to know. Or my girlfriend will step within my field of view and give me that look that tells me it is time to wrap up the "class", because I'm loosing them. But I love being able to share my passion for photography with others.