PDA

View Full Version : Super Speed Graphic - First Picture!

Scott --
12-Mar-2007, 12:58
Hey, all -

The Super Speed arrived today!
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j185/bliorg/IMG_1654.jpg

This is my first step into large format. Figured out straight away how to load up the film holder with some Fortepan 400, set the camera up, and sat my daughter Maddie down in front of it.

My first large format frame (large version here (http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j185/bliorg/crop218a-1.jpg?t=1173728846)):
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j185/bliorg/crop218.jpg

I have much to learn, but I'm hooked. Have to figure out the movements on this thing still. Glad I didn't bother with the roll film holder yet - don't think I want to use it any time soon. Just wondering now if 4x5 is big enough... :rolleyes:

Ok, the film holders came loaded. Anyone able to identify the type of film from the notches?
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j185/bliorg/IMG_1656.jpg

I'm trying to decide where I'm going to drag Maddie off to tomorrow to give this thing a proper test. Too much fun!

Thanks for looking.
Scott

Eric Biggerstaff
12-Mar-2007, 13:01
Way to go Scott!

You will have a lot of fun and I look forward to hearing more about your results.

Congrats!

Eric

Ben Hopson
12-Mar-2007, 13:09
Looks like you are off to a great start in LF. Enjoy!!!

BradS
12-Mar-2007, 13:36
Good job Scott!

Looks like a nice camera too.

I can't id the notch code. I know it is not Kodak TMax-100, TMax-400, 320TXp, Ilford FP4+, Delta 100 or Fuji Provia.

Ole Tjugen
12-Mar-2007, 14:49
Not sure exactly which film it is, but it's Ektachrome. :)

Scott --
12-Mar-2007, 14:54
Thanks, guys.

Mike Kovacs on nelsonfoto.com pointed to Kodak E100SW (http://web.archive.org/web/20030208093848/http://www.srv.net/~vail/notch.htm). Looks right to me. Wonder if it's exposed... :rolleyes:

jj golden
12-Mar-2007, 19:02
great image Scott, very sharp, Im looking forward to taking more with mine. How did you process it?

naturephoto1
12-Mar-2007, 19:09
Scott,

Looks like a great start. Good luck and welcome to the forum. :D

Ric

Gene McCluney
12-Mar-2007, 19:31
l have a Super Speed Graphic also, and have been using it extensively. I have 65mm, 90mm, 135mm, 150mm and 180mm on lensboards right now. It is my favorite kit for location field photography in 4x5 right now. I love it.

Photomax
12-Mar-2007, 21:26
Gene,

Do you know of any place to buy the distance focusing scales for these kinds of cameras? I have a Busch Pressman and am waiting on a "fresh" 135mm lens from MPEX.

Max

John Kasaian
12-Mar-2007, 22:28
Great shot! Enjoy!

J Peterson
13-Mar-2007, 05:32
THere's a bunch of focus scales on ebay at the mo. They quite regularly come up.

Scott --
13-Mar-2007, 05:44
Thanks, everyone. I'm going to have a lot of fun learning this. Going to spend some time cleaning up the camera today, and maybe see what else there is to shoot around here. ;)

JJ, this was Fortepan 400 in D76 1:1 12 minutes at 24C. One sheet in my Omega daylight roll film tank. I used about 800mL of developer solution 'cause I wanted to make sure I had the film covered (I also got a couple bottles of HC-110 cheap yesterday, so I kind of want to get rid of the D76), then did my normal agitation routine for roll film. Worked pretty well. I have a Unicolor roller and drum on their way here right now, though. Looking forward to being able to do more than one sheet at a time. :rolleyes:

Scott

Alan Davenport
13-Mar-2007, 09:26
Exactly right: the film is Ektachrome E100SW. I've shot almost nothing else for the past 2 years, and I've got a sheet with that notch code in front of me.

BTW, welcome to the club. Or the asylum... :)

Scott --
13-Mar-2007, 12:22
Holy cow - just figured out how to open the battery door on this. Not only were there two old 22.5V batteries installed 90 degrees to the proper orientation so they wouldn't corrode, but they're fully charged! Installed them correctly, and the solenoid fires the shutter perfectly! Now, how stinkin' cool is that?! :D

Ralph Barker
13-Mar-2007, 16:43
Great, Scott. (A case where punctuation is critical. ;) )

Looks like you're well on your way. All you need now is a crumpled hat, a well-chewed stogy, and a (bulb) flash attachment, so you can "f/8 and be there". ;)

John Cahill
13-Mar-2007, 19:14
Scott, That is a beeeuuuutiful camera. I think I just have to have one like it.
Love the photo, too. Glad your daughter is pleased to pose. What produced that very nice lighting? Film and developer? I would like to get such result with my 5x7 Ansco Universal View. Thanks for posting the photo. And best wishes for great fun in large format.

Gene McCluney
13-Mar-2007, 21:51
This was shot on Arista.edu (Hungary) film, developed in HC-110b. An orange filter over the lens. The lens was the 90mm Optar.

John Cahill
14-Mar-2007, 04:54
Great, Scott. (A case where punctuation is critical. ;) )

Looks like you're well on your way. All you need now is a crumpled hat, a well-chewed stogy, and a (bulb) flash attachment, so you can "f/8 and be there". ;)

Don't forget the press card--reading in big type PRESS, stuck in the hat band of the crumpled fedora.

Man, I just gots to get me oneofthem Super Press Graphics. They were made in Japan, correct? Who was it made them?

naturephoto1
14-Mar-2007, 05:35
Don't forget the press card--reading in big type PRESS, stuck in the hat band of the crumpled fedora.

Man, I just gots to get me oneofthem Super Press Graphics. They were made in Japan, correct? Who was it made them?

I believe that Toyo had bought the rights and manufactured them.

Rich

Scott --
14-Mar-2007, 07:43
Thanks again, guys! Just got back from shooting at a few local places. I am hooked!

Gene - that's a great shot. I have a line on a 90/6.8 Optar right now. Wasn't sure about it, but after seeing your shot, I think I'm going for it.

John - this is Fortepan 400 in D76 1:1. Just sat Maddie down in the front hall in our house. We have a large window facing east opposite the stairs; this was taken in early afternoon, so there was nice diffuse light coming in.

Gene McCluney
14-Mar-2007, 08:38
Gene - that's a great shot. I have a line on a 90/6.8 Optar right now. Wasn't sure about it, but after seeing your shot, I think I'm going for it.

Thank you. The 90mm 6.8 Optar is not really sharp at the corners, as compared to a 90mm Super Angulon, however it is so small and tiny it is easy to carry along as part of your kit. It is still quite good enough for most things stopped way down.