PDA

View Full Version : Graflex Crown Graphic Finder Mask

J Peterson
12-Mar-2007, 06:26
Hi all,

I have a Graflex Crown Graphic. It has a 135mm Schneider and it's "appropriate" #4 finder mask but it is much wider than the ground glass and final image. I was wondering what others do to get around this. Are other masks any better? I was going to bodge up my own mask but though someone here might be able to suggest an alternative.

Thanks,

JP

Dan Fromm
12-Mar-2007, 07:05
You're stuck. See http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/rapidvance/p7.html

One suggestion. Your mask's open area should be a rectangle with four little triangles sticking into the image area. The triangles' points are supposed to define the frame. But I've seen masks without the triangles.

J Peterson
12-Mar-2007, 07:14
You're stuck. See http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/rapidvance/p7.html

One suggestion. Your mask's open area should be a rectangle with four little triangles sticking into the image area. The triangles' points are supposed to define the frame. But I've seen masks without the triangles.

Hi Dan,

That's what I was hoping really - trying to track one down. I have the mask with the triangles which I've gathered is pretty close to the actual area of a 135 but still seems a little wide to me. Will have a go at it with some tin foil for now. IS it just me or does anyone else hate the integral viewfinder of the crown? It's so distorted!

Walter Calahan
12-Mar-2007, 07:16
Since these are old press cameras, the masks were never intended to be too accurate. The working press photographers would rather be too loose and crop later, than be too tight and miss the shot.

Kevin Crisp
12-Mar-2007, 07:45
The wire hoop sports finder is plenty accurate. And you can't imagine a brighter image.

J Peterson
12-Mar-2007, 08:24
I'll have to have another play with the wire hoop sports finder. It just seemed to have the same problem. I really don't want to crop as I'm shooting polariods and want them to look perfect.

Walter Calahan
12-Mar-2007, 08:38
When I shoot Polaroid Type 55, I try to use the ground glass to frame. If I can't then I accept that I might not be 'perfect'.

Jim Rhoades
12-Mar-2007, 09:04
I agree with Kevin about the sports finder. I like night scenes in the rain. The sport finder is pretty accurate and it works with front rise too.

Bill_1856
12-Mar-2007, 11:13
For the 135mm lens, I just remove the mask entirely, and the finder is very close to 100% if you don't get closer than 6', (that's when you need the mask). The sports wire finder is not intended to be accurate, since it leaves a lot of "wiggleroom" when printing the negative.