PDA

View Full Version : Linhof Technorama 612 vs. ALPA 12 for reportage hand-held?

Henry Carter
10-Mar-2007, 09:11
I use a Linhof Master Technika for 4X5 hand-held reportage, but I would like a smaller dedicated camera for ultra wide angle shooting.

Since it is unlikely that Linhof will ever produce the Technar for hand-held 4X5 wide angle shooting, one must consider roll-film alternatives in current production.

Do any of you have any personal experience in using either the Linhof Technorama 612 II with a 58 mm lens or an ALPA 12 with a 48 mm Helvetar for hand-held reportage?

Brian C. Miller
10-Mar-2007, 22:43
The Hobo 4x5 camera was made for wide-angle shooting. It was fixed-focus, with a 90mm lens and a Graflok back. It would be much lighter than your Linhof.

Schaubild
11-Mar-2007, 10:07
I already answered on apug.

omanoman
15-Mar-2007, 09:08
Get a wica wetzlar 6x9, much faster than a alpa or linhof or horseman, around the same price, same qaulity as alpa, has a electronic shutter and motorized back.

Jose Amado
15-Mar-2007, 15:44
Henry,
You can also use a Mamiya motorized back ( 6x8 ... )
on the Alpa 12.
Alpa is top grade made and quite versatile too, as you can find on its site.
If you want a smaller and very nice wide angle camera for ultra wide shots,
the Alpa 12 with Schneider Kreuznach Super Angulon 5.6/38 mm XL or a Rodenstock
Apo Grandagon 35 mm f4.5 would be a great choice.
Once I tried it with the Apo Grandagon 55 mm f4.5.
No need to focus with a 35.
Unfortunately I have no Alpa, maybe one day...

Henry Carter
19-Mar-2007, 17:00
Thank-you.

The ALPA 12, with a 6X9 Linhof back and a 48 mm Helvetar lens, sounds like a workable solution... but then so does the 612 Linhof Technorama with a 58 mm lens...

GPS
20-Mar-2007, 02:54
Henry, why would you like to do reportage with such extreme wide angle lenses? 58mm on 6x12 gives you full 91 degrees view angle. That's enormous. Even the 48mm lens on 6x9 gives sweeping 86° horizontally! You will get a plenty of lateral vision which is not directly related to the main scene, at least in many cases.
Second question - is there any reason for avoiding the Fotoman cameras?

George Kara
20-Mar-2007, 09:01
I have a fotoman 612 with a schneider 47 xl lens. They are reasonably priced and built from a solid piece of aluminum. For camping you can use it to hammer in the stakes. It makes an excellent block for putting under your wheel if parked on an incline, and oh yeah it is an excellent photographic tool as well. Dont worry about beating it up, I think its impossible to make a scratch on this thing and who cares anyhow? Its not like you have paid $ 10,000 for some littman super duper intellectually laden plastic 4x5 polaroid conversion.

Henry Carter
21-Mar-2007, 05:23
Though I have nothing against the Fotoman, I prefer to invest in a German (or Swiss) engineered product from Linhof or Arca. These are superbly built and robust high quality cameras from some of the most venerable camera manufacturers on the planet.

I want to contribute to the ongoing viability of companies like Linhof, and I am less interested in offshore imitators.

GPS
21-Mar-2007, 05:44
Henry, to each his own taste, but to be honest - Fotoman is in no way an imitator. In many aspects its cameras are superior to the Alpa or Linhof cameras you regard so highly...

Ted Harris
21-Mar-2007, 06:05
Henry, have you actually seen and and held and used a Fotoman? I ask because I was very surprised when i saw and hefted one for the first time. They have among the best git and finish of any product I have ever seen coming out of China. I'm not even sure that of the Alpa or Linhof is better, just different ... well maybe better bu tlook at the difference in price points. I don't imagine a European or Japanese product at the same price or even double the price of the Fotoman would be much different.

BTW, another superb performer that no one has mentioned is the Plaubel Proshift 6x9. If I ever saw one of those avaiable for under $1500 I grab it.

Ted Harris
21-Mar-2007, 06:05
Henry, have you actually seen and and held and used a Fotoman? I ask because I was very surprised when i saw and hefted one for the first time. They have among the best git and finish of any product I have ever seen coming out of China. I'm not even sure that of the Alpa or Linhof is better, just different ... well maybe better bu tlook at the difference in price points. I don't imagine a European or Japanese product at the same price or even double the price of the Fotoman would be much different.

BTW, another superb performer that no one has mentioned is the Plaubel Proshift 6x9. If I ever saw one of those avaiable for under $1500 I grab it.

GPS
21-Mar-2007, 06:40
Or you could just wait for the new handheld Arca Swiss due to be released when -Arca wants...

George Kara
21-Mar-2007, 07:03
The Fotoman is certainly as well built as my swiss and german photo equipment. You wont encourage the European Companies to stay in business by purchasing used equipment either.

julian
21-Mar-2007, 07:13

Not quite in your price but...
https://secure.ffordes.com/index.htm

Henry Carter
25-Mar-2007, 16:54
If one wanted to have rangefinder focusing, there is also the option of the Linhof Technika 23 V, with 55 and 120 mm lenses and a 6X9 back...