PDA

View Full Version : Arca Swiss B1 vs Z1

Songyun
10-Mar-2007, 07:37
Any one have experience with Z1? From the specification, it seems that Z1 can load more weight than B1, while both ball head is about the same weight.

Toyon
10-Mar-2007, 07:59
I don't know about the Z1, but I would certainly avoid the B1. It has a really flawed design. I never found that the ball would move particularly smoothly, though it did stay in position nice and tight. It would often lock up completely, and despite the instructions warning about lockup, I found that they were useless... both at avoiding lockup and in treating it. To make matters worse, small parts would fall off without warning, rendering the device useless. However, I think they corrected this in a later design. I would go with a Wimberly or similar better designed ballhead, although I now use a heavy duty panhead and find it doesn't really take much more time to use than a ballhead.

Jack Flesher
10-Mar-2007, 08:44
Never tried the Z1 but had a B1 for years and had ZERO problems with it. I now use the even larger B2 with my LF cameras because I prefer the dual-axis design.

r.e.
10-Mar-2007, 09:01
Arca Swiss acknowledges that there was a faulty part in some B1 monoballs. Precision Camera Works, which services Arca-Swiss products in North America, explains the problem on its web site: http://www.precisioncameraworks.com/

My own B1, purchased a few years ago, was one of those that had the faulty part. As Precision Camera Works says, the problem was with a piece called the lower colotte. The impact of this part was that the ballhead would sometimes seem to have a mind of its own, locking unexpectedly and not responding as expected. Precision replaced the part on my ballhead free of charge with a turnaround time of about five days.

My B1 has worked perfectly ever since. There should be no problem with B1 ballheads being sold today.

The Precision Camera Works site is a great source of information on Arca-Swiss ballheads.

Brian Ellis
10-Mar-2007, 09:07
I bought my B1 around 1994 and used it off and on until this year, though not with large format cameras because I don't like ball heads with heavier cameras. However, while I did experience the two problems that Toyon mentions, I didn't experience them in quite the degree his message implies. The ball locked up twice in my years of owning it, once about a year after buying it, the second time about four years ago. As long as you have a wrench handy the locking problem is easy to fix.

About 8 years ago the tensioning screw or whatever it's called (the little gizmo you turn with your thumb) fell out in the middle of a photography trip, rendering the head useless for the rest of the trip. I sent it to the authorized Arca repair center (in Illinois I think) for repair and they updated it to the current standards, which seemed to fix the problem, at least nothing else fell out after that. The cost was about $70.

Then my last problem was a lack of ability to gradually adjust the tension in the ball (again, not the right terminology but hopefully you get the idea.) I sent it in again to the Arca service center and that problem was remedied, at a cost of about $100. I then sold the head, not so much because of these problems but because of its weight.

I found the head to be extremely smooth and a pleasure to use. And in fairness to Arca Swiss, there have been several design improvements to the B1 since 1994.

While our experiences have been different in details, I do agree with Toyon's suggestion to at least look at other heads. When I bought my B1 there were no other ball heads of comparable design and quality on the market, or if there were I didn't know about them. There now are a whole bunch. The Acratech has gotten somewhat mixed but generally favorable reviews and the ball head from Really Right Stuff that I use for my digital camera is excellent without, AFAIK, the problems that the Arca had. It's also considerably lighter and quicker to use.

BTW, the B1 is rated for 90 pounds IIRC. How much more weight than that do you plan to use? : - )

Songyun
10-Mar-2007, 09:40
Is Z1 a replacement of B1?

Bill Koechling
10-Mar-2007, 10:13
Arca Swiss acknowledges that there was a faulty part in some B1 monoballs. Precision Camera Works, which services Arca-Swiss products in North America, explains the problem on its web site: http://www.precisioncameraworks.com/

The Precision Camera Works site is a great source of information on Arca-Swiss ballheads.

I just met with the folks at Precision Camera Works in Niles, IL (near Chicago) two days ago. Bob Watkins cares about what he does. Anyone with monoball problems - or problems with any Arca Swiss problems should visit their site or talk to Bob.

Bill Koechling
www.koechlingphoto.com

Kerry L. Thalmann
10-Mar-2007, 10:29
Obviously experiences vary, but I've had my B1 for a decade and never had a hint of a problem. I've used it in temps from sub-zero to > 100 degrees. I've hauled it on hundreds of miles of rugged trails, exposed it to rain, high humidity, sand, and sea spray - bascially every climate and environment you can expect to encounter in North America - and it has always functioned flawlessly. It's been one of the most dependable, most reliable pieces of gear I've ever owned.

If you have had ANY probems with your ARCA-SWISS B1, I urge you to send it to Precicion Camera Works and let them make it right - because when it works right (like mine always has), I can't think of any other ballhead I'd rather use (except for maybe a B2 of the dual axis feature).

Kerry

Jean-Marie Solichon
10-Mar-2007, 11:20
Being completely satisfied with my 10 years old B1, I recently bought a Z1 for a new tripod. The Z1 replaces the B1 and is marginally lighter and less expensive. I can't comment about its load capacity as I only used it with DSLR until now. They replace the panoramic locking knob for a small lever : I'm not sure it's a good idea yet.

Eric Brody
10-Mar-2007, 11:40
Sorry but I have no knowlege of the Z1 though it looks interesting. I am another happy customer of Precision Camera Works. I bought a used Arca B1 locally many years ago and over time the pan function was not tight enough. The camera would rotate with a minimum nudge and I either messed up images, when I failed to notice it, or else spent extra time when I did. I sent it in, had it fixed and it's terrific, even the ball works better.

I also own a used Acratech which I use for hiking with medium format and smaller cameras. It has functioned flawlwssly but seems a bit light even for my Arca F1 Field camera so I use the B1 whenever I am not going miles from the car. A properly adjusted B1 is a superb instrument, rock solid and easy to use.

I saw the Induro line of Chinese heads (I think they are the same as Benro) at my local camera emporium for the first time yesterday. The heads are obvious Arca knockoffs but look nice. I have no information as to their long term reliability.

Good luck.

Eric

Bill Koechling
10-Mar-2007, 12:13
In case anyone is interested there's a B2 for sale here on LF at http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=23861

iskim
13-Mar-2007, 11:07
I'd say you go for the z1. It replaces the b1 monoball and many retailers already stopped selling the b1 head (b1e and b1g are still available). However, I think you have to wait for some time since the z1 is sold out everywhere currently.
As you've probably checked out it's lighter, stronger, and better looking IMHO. I always hated the ugly yellow line around the b1. Check out the double panning version of the z1 monoball if you're interested. For 30 dollars more, you get a 2nd panning base which arca used to sell for like $150 as an accessory for their b1 monoballs.