PDA

View Full Version : lens and shutter questions

e. a. smith
7-Mar-2007, 16:42
Can anyone send me to a really complete list that gives coverage areas for older lenses and data as to what lens fit in what shutters.

I've spent a fair bit of time searching this but seem to keep coming back to the same pages.

Thanks

EA Smith

Jim Rice
7-Mar-2007, 18:35
The coverage issues are generally covered in the articles section here: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/ . As a rule though, the coverage numbers are from the manufacturers, so tend to be very conservative. If a particular design catches your eye, do a search on the forum on it's name to try get the real skinny.
As for shutter compatibility, the S K Grimes site reigns supreme. You've got to peck around a bit to find the chart. It may be here: http://www.skgrimes.com/fits/index.htm
Other than that, you're in the same boat as the rest of us, unless someone enlightens me, which I wouldn't mind at all.

Jim Galli
7-Mar-2007, 18:56
First of all if you're talking pre-1970's Copal shutters, nothing fits in anything. Every lens mfr made a series of bushings to adapt their lenses to the different shutters. For instance you can find factory mounted Wollensak Velostigmats in both ILEX and Betax shutters. Same lens in 2 different size and thread shutters and with different bushings to get them in. Goerz made the bushings to put the artar's in the Ilex shutters etc. So unless you're a damn good machinist with a lathe that will cut both metric and US threads, nothing fits inta anything.

Second, the Lens Vade Mecum available on line is of some help but mostly experience and wasted $$ is what teaches you. I know without looking at anything that such and such is a tessar or a dialyte and what the coverage angles of those 2 types are and therefore what image circle and degradation to expect. I'm rarely surprised. There really isn't much written down. Good luck. Have some fun while you're at it.

Ole Tjugen
8-Mar-2007, 02:16
From about 1930 and on the European lenses were "standardised" to fit in a limited number of shutters.

Basically any rim-set Compur 0 has the same threads as a new Copal 0, same for #1.

But there were other sizes too which are no longer made: 00, 01 and 2.

Then there were the big Compound shutters - 3, 4 (two versions) and 5 (two versions). None of these will fit directly into anything modern.