PDA

View Full Version : Tape for filmholders?

Gene McCluney
7-Mar-2007, 07:07
I have been using black photographers tape..an opaque paper tape to re-tape the hinge flaps on my older film holders. This works fine, but since it IS paper, like a high quality masking tape, it certainly isn't as durable as the original fabric tape. I was wondering what other people do when retaping the hinge flaps?

Rob_5419
7-Mar-2007, 07:17
Black rubberised tape (vinyl) - I found mine in a DIY store. The adhesive is not the strongest and requires a little extra adhesive support between the hinge areas.

I like the black vinyl rubber tape a lot - it really is durable and seems to shield light leaks out very well. Comes in various thicknesses, although 1.5cm - 2cm is standard.

You're right - the original fabric tape is a woven cotton compound, with a blackout section and weave behind it. A bit like the original felt fabric light seals, the quality is superior than anything modern we now use, as well as lasting way longer than the expected half-liife of our modern junk....

vinny
7-Mar-2007, 07:22
gaffers tape works find but will eventually need replacing. it's the closest thing to the original that i've seen. maybe someone else has a source. If you need a partial roll let me know as i've got tons of it from work.

Greg Lockrey
7-Mar-2007, 07:28
Fidelity makes the very tape you are looking for. I bought a piece about ten years ago and what I didn't use is still good to go. You can get it at Calumet. http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/FI4506.html

Walter Calahan
7-Mar-2007, 07:45
I was just about to post this same question so I can fix a bunch of 5x7 holders. Thanks Greg for the link! Thanks Gene for asking.

Scott Davis
7-Mar-2007, 07:46
Bookbinders tape is also a viable solution. It is a black opaque cloth tape, intended for hinging joints that see a lot of movement. I believe the roll I got was made by Lineco, the same folks who make the acid-free hinging tape for mounting photos in window mats. It is available at most art supply stores. The roll I got is 2" wide, and at least 30 yards long. This is big enough to do two 8x10 film holder hinges from a single 9" long strip. Utrecht lists it on their website for $13.95, and calls it "Book Cloth Repair Tape". I have seen it in the store at Pearl Paint as well, but they don't list it on their website.

tim atherton
7-Mar-2007, 08:24
I think this is the stuff I got. Used it 10 years ago on a bunch of old holders and they've been going strong ever since

http://www.demco.com/webprd_demco/product_index/SUP_BKC_010.htm

and scroll down to DEMCO Fastape® 3/4"W

(I can't find the roll right now, so I'm not 100% sure it was that one - it could also have been DEMCO Poly-coated Cloth Tape , but I don't think so...

tim atherton
7-Mar-2007, 08:37
BTW, the reason I used the demco tape was I ordered the fidelity tape from calumet and it never came into stock - but that was 10 years ago...

Brian Ellis
7-Mar-2007, 09:03
I'm sure you know that the tape isn't there to block light. Light is kept out by the trap in the holder, not by the tape. The tape is just a hinge for opening and closing the end flap. So you can use any kind of tape you like, it doesn't have to be opaque. You could use clear Scotch tape if you wanted to. FWIW I use some sort of black tape made by 3M that I think I bought at Home Depot. I'm not sure what it's original purpose was, it might be electrician's tape but it looks just like the original and has been on some of my holders for at least ten years. I think it cost about $2 for a roll that will last a lifetime.

Colin Graham
7-Mar-2007, 09:17
Another vote for bookbinder's tape. It's specifically made to be a hinge, and it has the perfect adhesive backing. Fabulously sticky but not gummy.

Herbert A Terbrack
7-Mar-2007, 10:39
I have used the 3M black photographer's tape. The reapir has held up well for me and since I already have the tape I'll continue to use it. I have had a roll of this tape for close to twenty years and the roll is still usable.
Tony Terbrack

Greg Lockrey
7-Mar-2007, 15:13
I'm sure you know that the tape isn't there to block light. Light is kept out by the trap in the holder, not by the tape. The tape is just a hinge for opening and closing the end flap. So you can use any kind of tape you like, it doesn't have to be opaque. You could use clear Scotch tape if you wanted to. FWIW I use some sort of black tape made by 3M that I think I bought at Home Depot. I'm not sure what it's original purpose was, it might be electrician's tape but it looks just like the original and has been on some of my holders for at least ten years. I think it cost about $2 for a roll that will last a lifetime.

Actually it does block out the light. I had to replace mine due to the pinholes that were shinning through the tape. It took me a long time to figure out where my light leak was coming from. BTW 3M (303) electrician's tape will not do it for you. It has to be wound over it self to stick. (I was an electrician in the NAVY).

Bruce Watson
7-Mar-2007, 15:49
I was wondering what other people do when retaping the hinge flaps?

You can buy actual film holder hinge tape from Calumet. At least, I did a couple of years ago.

Greg Lockrey
7-Mar-2007, 15:54
You can buy actual film holder hinge tape from Calumet. At least, I did a couple of years ago.

http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/FI4506.html :)

Brian Ellis
7-Mar-2007, 18:50
Actually it does block out the light. I had to replace mine due to the pinholes that were shinning through the tape. It took me a long time to figure out where my light leak was coming from. BTW 3M (303) electrician's tape will not do it for you. It has to be wound over it self to stick. (I was an electrician in the NAVY).

Actually it doesn't block out light. Holders have a light trap to perform that function, the tape serves only as a hinge. If replacing tape fixed your light leak it was because there was something else wrong with the holder that you patched over by applying new tape. But pin holes in the tape by themselves won't let light in the holder because it isn't the tape that prevents light from entering the holder.

Greg Lockrey
7-Mar-2007, 19:51
Actually it doesn't block out light. Holders have a light trap to perform that function, the tape serves only as a hinge. If replacing tape fixed your light leak it was because there was something else wrong with the holder that you patched over by applying new tape. But pin holes in the tape by themselves won't let light in the holder because it isn't the tape that prevents light from entering the holder.

I removed the tape entirely as I recall, the piece that your talking about that is a hinge is a light trap but the tape does block light under the hinge (from bottom of the holder). Maybe something else was wrong like a warped hinge piece...I don't know it was about ten years ago. They work fine now that's all that matters.

Paul Fitzgerald
7-Mar-2007, 21:02
Hi all,

Any U.S. hardware store for "Gorilla Tape" from the makers of "Gorilla Glue", $10 per roll. WARNING: it is seriously heavy-duty, will likely never need replacement.

Good luck with it.

Paul Fitzgerald
28-Mar-2007, 18:47
Hi All,

Forget 'Gorilla Tape', it is far too thick and stiff for film holders. It peels back from the edges and leaves a sticky mess.

Sorry about that.

Michael Graves
28-Mar-2007, 18:54
3M Core 2-0300. Looks, feels, smells and tastes like the better tape used on film holders.

MIke Sherck
29-Mar-2007, 10:44
In the past I've used linen tape, the sort you get for mounting prints (hinges, make corners, etc.) I used the stuff you have to wet, not the newer self-adhesive kind. It's worked well for many years now. Once the adhesive dried I colored it black with a magic marker.

Mike

jnantz
29-Mar-2007, 17:03
Another vote for bookbinder's tape. It's specifically made to be a hinge, and it has the perfect adhesive backing. Fabulously sticky but not gummy.

make it 3 ... (made for bending)

Stan. L-B
8-Apr-2007, 13:47
The complete answer to revovating the fabric hindges on film slides or any other situation where flexability and light sealing is of essence is: Neoprene Adhesive and the Nylon Tape used in the making of diving suits. I have used this method for years and it has never let me down. Stan. L-B. Ex Diver RN.

Stan. L-B
8-Apr-2007, 13:49
The complete answer to revovating the fabric hinges on film slides or any other situation where flexability and light sealing is of essence is: Neoprene Adhesive and the Nylon Tape used in the making of diving suits. I have used this method for years and it has never let me down. Stan. L-B. Ex Diver RN.