PDA

View Full Version : 11x14 "actual" film size

Pete Skerys
6-Mar-2007, 21:57
Can anyone tell me the actual dimensions of 11x14 film? (metric measurements are preferred but it's not critical)
I have a 12x15 plate camera with a holder for which I'm going to make an adaptor. The film I have is Adox PL25 (from J&C), but I'm assuming there's a standard size.
TIA
pete

Pete Skerys
13-Mar-2007, 02:58
come on! surely someone must know - or at least can tell me where i can find out?
please :)

Barry Wilkinson
13-Mar-2007, 04:04
I have read posts by Sandy King saying this format is to an ISO(?) Standard. Perhaps someone could point us to it?

Barry

Struan Gray
13-Mar-2007, 05:12
Thanks due to Ole:

http://home.earthlink.net/~eahoo/page8/filmhold.html

Ole Tjugen
13-Mar-2007, 05:23
Thanks Struan - I've lost (or at least "temporarily mislaid") my bookmarks following an upgrade. :)

Pete Skerys
13-Mar-2007, 17:34
Thanks for the directions to the site outlining the various film holders' dimensions. I suppose I should have mentioned I'd already come across it in my searches. Unfortunately, for my purposes, it doesn't provide any infomation regarding the (allowable) film dimensions these holders are designed to take. It shows the 'Exposure' window (height and width) but no the size of the slot in which the film sits...

Oren Grad
13-Mar-2007, 18:13
There's no standard, and you're likely to find variation among different vendors.

That said, 1/16" less than the nominal dimension on each side is a reasonable bet for the film itself. You'll need to make your adapter a bit bigger than this in any case to allow the film to slide in.

BradS
13-Mar-2007, 18:32
Thanks for the directions to the site outlining the various film holders' dimensions. I suppose I should have mentioned I'd already come across it in my searches. Unfortunately, for my purposes, it doesn't provide any infomation regarding the (allowable) film dimensions these holders are designed to take. It shows the 'Exposure' window (height and width) but no the size of the slot in which the film sits...

I think the implicit assumption is that the film must be cut smaller than the nominal dimensions and larger than the dimensions of the "exposure' window.