PDA

View Full Version : Limit FS thread to newbies?

Marko
6-Mar-2007, 10:50
Just a suggestion:

There seems to be an increasing number of sellers with a single digit post counters who try to sell blatantly non-LF stuf - there is one as of this morning selling brand new Nikon D-80s and that is his only post.

Perhaps the moderators should consider introducing the time and/or participation requirement for posting in FS thread?

Ash
6-Mar-2007, 10:52
I don't think many people here are stupid enough to buy from someone with less than 10 post count.

In the same vein there might be someone looking to sell a camera that came from a family member, and doesn't have any other interest in LF. In that respect someone here will lose out on a bargain because of restrictions.

Marko
6-Mar-2007, 11:01
I don't think many people here are stupid enough to buy from someone with less than 10 post count.

In the same vein there might be someone looking to sell a camera that came from a family member, and doesn't have any other interest in LF. In that respect someone here will lose out on a bargain because of restrictions.

Hey Ash,

I'm certainly not the one to support any kind of restriction here, but this is getting really annoying. I don't think this board, commercial-free as it is, needs to become dumping ground for characters with no interest or connection to LF who just want to move something quickly. It's a waste of bandwidth and effort to filter them out, besides beeing purely annoying.

As far as I remember, the mods stated some time ago that it is OK for members to occassionally sell non-LF stuff as a courtesy for them, not as a matter of free-for-all policy. All I am saying is that it seems the time has come to enforce that stance a bit. :)

Ron Marshall
6-Mar-2007, 11:18
I agree. Have a minimum post and membership time for anyone wishing to post adds for non-LF gear, and no restrictions for LF.

That is not unduly restrictive, since they have the option of posting on Photo.net or APUG.

Ralph Barker
6-Mar-2007, 11:19
We try to keep a fairly close eye on the FS section, but we're not online 24/7, so the stray post will slip through.

Mark Sampson
6-Mar-2007, 13:20
Let's not get our knickers in a twist here. There's a minimal amount of rules, a great deal of courtesy, and a minimal amount of inappropriate postings, on this forum. I like it that way. The moderators are doing a fine job, and I'd like to thank them for that.

Ash
6-Mar-2007, 13:36
you guy's do a great job here. you don't want to be like peanut or the dribbling dog.

vann webb
30-Apr-2007, 09:29
Let's not get our knickers in a twist here. There's a minimal amount of rules, a great deal of courtesy, and a minimal amount of inappropriate postings, on this forum. I like it that way. The moderators are doing a fine job, and I'd like to thank them for that.

I agree. This site is by far the best run of the various ones that I like to visit. As for newbies, if you like film and you like LF, we can use all the newbies that we can get. I get a lot out of this site and pay nothing for the knowledge that I gain. I would never have been interested or gotten started in LF if not for the great service that LF Forum provides in helping introduce new users to LF. As for post count, some of us who aren't experts will never pile up an impressive post count, as we mainly lurk, seeking to learn rather than postulate. I have picked up some valuable items in the FS section with my rather modest post count. What sense does it make to run off people who are just getting started? Please leave it like it is and let the mods do their job. Just my two cents.

Dave Parker
30-Apr-2007, 09:32
Really all you need to do when a F/S posting or any other type of posting that is inappropriate, is to click the report post icon and let the moderation team make the choice...pretty simple.

David A. Goldfarb
30-Apr-2007, 09:40
But you can stitch images with a D-80, correct perspective and add blur in PS, can't you? It's obviously LF.

Orgnoi1
30-Apr-2007, 13:36
Not all newbies are bad... or dont have accountability for their selling abilities... obviously "buyer beware" if the seller doesnt post information about themselves in a sale. But now all the apples in the bunch are rotten....LOL

Marko
30-Apr-2007, 15:18
But you can stitch images with a D-80, correct perspective and add blur in PS, can't you? It's obviously LF.

Silly me, I forgot about that! And I can even simulate a proper x-ray fog in PS after an airplane trip, can't I? ;)

Bob Jones
30-Apr-2007, 15:59
As a newbie to the forum, I would point out that there are probably people out there like me who have dabbled in LF for years, but for one reason or another have never gotten really serious about it. People like that have often accumulated LF gear with the hope of finding the time or motivation to use it, and at some point say to heck with it and sell. You might find that useful.

Further, my own first (or maybe second) post here was to buy a lens. So I'm OK to buy but not to sell? I can understand barring non-LF stuff, but people who don't have the time to spend hanging out can still be honest people with good gear to sell.

Eric James
30-Apr-2007, 16:35
Many new members here have good deals to offer on their gear. There is a gentlemen who has roughly 50 posts for mostly sale items (and his follow up responses). I don't look at this as "taking advantage", because the sellers have something to offer forum members.

Marko
30-Apr-2007, 19:59
It makes sense, Eric. It's just that in this day and age of over-aggressive marketing and spamming, it's too easy to perceive someone who's selling several non-LF items in his very first few posts as yet another one of those.

Eric James
30-Apr-2007, 22:48
I agree, we have to be very careful out there, and it would be unfortunate for the forum to develop a reputation for being an easy target.

Robert Hughes
1-May-2007, 10:24
Perhaps we should limit newbie posts to the Lounge for the month, and force them to submit to threads on politics and religion. Kinda like an initiation...

Orgnoi1
1-May-2007, 19:41
Perhaps we should limit newbie posts to the Lounge for the month, and force them to submit to threads on politics and religion. Kinda like an initiation...

LOL that will certainly ween membership... I dont even go to the "Chit Chat" section of my own site...LOL

Clay Turtle
21-Jun-2007, 15:14
Newbies need a place to listen (read) what oldies are discussing that is one way short of trail & error to learn. A non-photographer looking for a place to sell were photograhers can access their items, probably don't make such distinctions of small, medium or Large format. It's just camera equipment to them & some of those into cameras are here so yes it attracts them. [which may or may not be a blessing]
It is hard even to get honest information so why make it harder? So limit the extent of non LF items but then some old lens or lab equipment may not exchange hand to both benefit?
Lounge? Not much of a drinker so I don't normally go there.

Bob Gentile
21-Jun-2007, 17:01
Whenever I come across a thread that doesn't interest me, I hit my browser's "Back" button.

Am I missing something?

seawolf66
21-Jun-2007, 20:01
to:Orgnoi1 Railroad Photographer: to you I say this will you folks quit picking us apples when something goes sour how about grapes, us apples have enough bruise's[ROTFL] take care: Mr Lauren MacIntosh

village idiot
27-Jun-2007, 19:37

If I submit proof of a recent root canal, can I get a pass on this one...?

Robert Hughes
28-Jun-2007, 07:51
Either that, or proof you've listened to the Paris Hilton CD. We can feel your pain...

Michael Jones
1-Jul-2007, 17:23

I agree. But there seems to be a growing trend of newbies flaming threads with comments that were once reserved for one camera manufacturer and one publisher. In my opinion, that type ongoing warfare made another forum tedious and distracted from what was its announced goal of "analogue" photography. The fact that newbies and certain regulars there engaged in that type of discourse regularly lead me to cease participating there. I agree the moderators here do a terrific job, I just don't want this forum hijacked. Just my two cents. Thanks.

Mike