PDA

View Full Version : Wista 4x5 45DXlll

Cynthia
4-Mar-2007, 14:40
Hello,

I have been reading the endless advice that you all provide, and have a question. I am researching the Wista 4x5 (as a gift) and notice it has not been mentioned by anyone.

This particular camera was requested, however the recipient is new to LF. I am trying to put together a basic kit (body, lens, film, etc). Is there any reason a Wista would be a poor choice for someone starting LF?
Any advice is appreciated.

David A. Goldfarb
4-Mar-2007, 14:54
The Wista 45DX III is a perfectly fine camera. The one potential drawback that stands out is that it is a double extension camera with 12" of bellows--this is plenty for most uses, but if the recipient of the camera is particularly interested in using long lenses or macro work, they might want a camera with more bellows. On the other hand a double extension camera is lighter and more compact than a camera with more bellows, so if it is for someone who plans to go on long hikes with the camera, it might be just right.

Bob Salomon
4-Mar-2007, 15:00
one potential drawback that stands out is that it is a double extension camera with 12" of bellows--this is plenty for most uses, but if the recipient of the camera is particularly interested in using long lenses or macro work, they might want a camera with more bellows. .

Accessory extensions are available from Wista for their cameras as are extension lens boards.

Cynthia
4-Mar-2007, 15:07
Thank you. The recipient would be using it while extensively traveling, so it sounds like it would work. I just wanted to check, since there wasn't much talk of the Wista.
Moving on....I have the Toyo-view film holders on the list. Any advice on what lens and film? I had planned on getting everything at B&H (NYC), unless there are other suggestions.

Ted Harris
4-Mar-2007, 16:38
B&H is fine but you will get the same or slightly lower prices and personal attention and assistance from Jim at Midwest Photo (www.mpex.com or 614-261-1264).

Rob_5419
4-Mar-2007, 17:13
It's a lovely camera - actually had one which was my first field camera too.

Only problems ever experienced was it's lack of rigidity (in the wind) but that's by the by. There's nothing there to dissuade a newcomer to LF in a Wista DX at all - parts are easy to find; universal accessories with an international 5x4" back. You might want to check that out the model with interchangeable bellows, just for future planning.

A standard lens (150mm - 180mm) is a great choice. Most of the modern ones are fine too. Film very much is a personal taste - black and white or colour? Anything from Fuji (B/W or colour) or Ilford (B/W) would be my favourites.

Good luck.

Anupam
4-Mar-2007, 18:51
Nothing wrong at all with the Wista but the Tachihara and especially the Shen Hao deserve consideration for the price range, I think. I went from a Wista to a Shen Hao, and really appreciate the additional movements - sturdier too.

Lenses - 150mm would be a good choice but 90, 150 and 210 make a great three lens setup. You can even drop the 150 at a pinch and have a 90 and 210mm combo.

-Anupam

Capocheny
4-Mar-2007, 22:56
Cynthia,

I second Ted's recommendation that you contact Jim at MidWest Photo... very decent fellow to deal with.

Another good retailer is Jeff at Badger Graphics. His website is:

www.badgergraphic.com

Both of these fellows are great to deal with and won't lead you astray! :)

Cheers

Ron Marshall
5-Mar-2007, 01:22
Cynthia, I have dealt with Badger Graphics and Midwest Photo, on numerous occasions, and have always been completely satisfied with their service and expertise. Jack Dykinga, a well respected LF shooter uses a Wista DX, and he and many others highly recommend it. It is very lightweight.

A good starter lens kit would be 90-150-240 or just a 150 to start. If you buy from a reputable used dealer such as KEH Camera Brokers or Midwest Photo, buy a used lens. It will be as good as new and much less expensive.

brad martin
5-Mar-2007, 01:43
I wouldn't buy anything from B&H unless I was forced to. OK, on occasion I have. But I'd deal with Jeff from Badger Graphic or Jim at Midwest Photo first. No question about it.

Cynthia
5-Mar-2007, 15:47
Wow! Thank you all so much. I will start with giving Jim a call over at MidWest

Harley Goldman
5-Mar-2007, 16:35
My first camera was a Wista DXII. It was a nice wooden field camera, but for the money, I would take a hard look at the Shen Hao. I think you get far more camera at a much, much lower price. As Jim at Midwest about it, he will give you an honest answer.

tombob
8-Jun-2007, 09:02
My first camera was a Wista DXII. It was a nice wooden field camera, but for the money, I would take a hard look at the Shen Hao. I think you get far more camera at a much, much lower price. As Jim at Midwest about it, he will give you an honest answer.

i've just got the wista over the shen hao for 2 reasons, one the wista was cheeper and offers all the movments i want, and also the ground glass on the shenhao is horrible, and i would replace that before even getting a lens

Larry Kalajainen
17-Jun-2007, 09:18
Hello,

I have been reading the endless advice that you all provide, and have a question. I am researching the Wista 4x5 (as a gift) and notice it has not been mentioned by anyone.

This particular camera was requested, however the recipient is new to LF. I am trying to put together a basic kit (body, lens, film, etc). Is there any reason a Wista would be a poor choice for someone starting LF?
Any advice is appreciated.

I have the Wista SW, which is the DXIII with interchangeable bellows. I got it so that I could switch to the wide-angle bag bellows for use with very wide lenses. Also, when I got mine, the SW was the only one available in rosewood, which I preferred to cherry.

It's a great camera; well-built and well-designed. Great value for the money.

Larry