PDA

View Full Version : Brush Marks on Large Platinum Prints

billschwab
4-Mar-2007, 10:19
Here's a question for you large PD/PT printers. I have been experimenting for awhile with 20 x 20 prints and having pretty good luck, except with images with large and very smooth tonal areas. I'm using a 4 inch Richieson brush, but still having problems with brush marks in these areas. How do I go about getting a more smooth coating? I have read about the use of Everclear with the sensitizer... would this be a soulution? I have also tried double coating which helps, but it is still not satisfactoy. Is there some other trick I am missing?

Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions.

Bill

clay harmon
4-Mar-2007, 10:41
A couple of things to try.

One is to dilute the mix a little bit with distilled water to allow you more time to work it into the paper. Start with an additional 25% distilled water to your 'pour' and see how that works.

Another trick is to add about 2-3 drops per 2ml of coating solution of polyvinyl alcohol. This keeps the solution from diving into the paper too fast and smooths out your coat. I use this stuff on absorbent papers like Cranes quite often.

Also make sure your Richeson brush isn't too dry before you start coating. If the bristles separate on the shakeout after you wet it, it is too dry.

Here's a question for you large PD/PT printers. I have been experimenting for awhile with 20 x 20 prints and having pretty good luck, except with images with large and very smooth tonal areas. I'm using a 4 inch Richieson brush, but still having problems with brush marks in these areas. How do I go about getting a more smooth coating? I have read about the use of Everclear with the sensitizer... would this be a soulution? I have also tried double coating which helps, but it is still not satisfactoy. Is there some other trick I am missing?

Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions.

Bill