PDA

View Full Version : Large Format Print Exchange

Capocheny
3-Mar-2007, 22:22
Greetings to all participants...

Why don't we post our images here for the folks who weren't able to participate in the exchange?

Here's my humble submission. :)

Cheers

Jan_6568
3-Mar-2007, 23:11
Great idea - thank you,
I wanted to participate but missed thi thread and when I noticed it was too late.

cheers,

Jan

Brian Ellis
4-Mar-2007, 00:20
I was wondering what happened to the exchange. I thought prints were to go out at least some time in February but I haven't received anything, nor have I had any word of when they might be expected to be mailed. Has anyone else heard anything?

Capocheny
4-Mar-2007, 03:31
I was wondering what happened to the exchange. I thought prints were to go out at least some time in February but I haven't received anything, nor have I had any word of when they might be expected to be mailed. Has anyone else heard anything?

Hi Brian,

I believe Andrew has them all packaged and ready to go... so, as they say, the cheque is (or close to being) in the mail! :)

But, I thought it would be nice to share our images with those folks that weren't able to participate in this exchange. Hence, the posting. :)

Cheers

Carl Radford
4-Mar-2007, 04:04
I too would love to see the image and hopefully participate in a future exchange!

Carl

Ole Tjugen
4-Mar-2007, 04:19
I'm sure many have seen it before, but here's my uncharacteristically colourful contribution:

chris_4622
4-Mar-2007, 05:58
Ole,
I never get tired of seeing this colorful contribution, I hope it is my package when it arrives.

I don't have a scanner so I can't post mine.

alec4444
4-Mar-2007, 07:03
Still a bit of a "noob"...only started in September. This is a cropped 11x14 contact print...(5.5 x 13.75?) Here's the technical info:

Camera: Wisner 11x14 Technical Field
Lens: 360 / 620mm Schneider Symmar Convertible (360mm f5.6)
Film: Efke PL100
Exposure: 1/8sec @ f32
Developer: Agfa Rodinal, 1:50 @ 10 mins.
Paper: Ilford Multigrade IV Fibre
Print: Cropped/trimmed contact print
Print Exposure: Contrast #4 for 11sec

Cheers!
--A

Ed Richards
4-Mar-2007, 07:51
4x5 Technika, Tmax 100, Xtol 1:3. Part of my Katrina series, on 9th Ward New Orleans Churches. (http://www.epr-art.com/katrina/9th-ward-church.htm)

http://www.epr-art.com/katrina/html/000862p_std.jpg

Andrew O'Neill
4-Mar-2007, 10:39
Hey, are we still posting our images on that site that Darr was talking about?? Perhaps we should start doing that...and guys, don't forget to write a bit about your image. Some of you didn't provide me with neg/print info.

Andrew O'Neill
4-Mar-2007, 10:44
:) All the packages have gone out except for a few who haven't paid for postage. The reason for the delay was that a few packages arrived at my house late... some people also sent prints in 8x10 envelops when the rules clearing stated "11x14". Little things like this slowed me down.

alec4444
4-Mar-2007, 10:47
Hey, are we still posting our images on that site that Darr was talking about?? Perhaps we should start doing that...and guys, don't forget to write a bit about your image. Some of you didn't provide me with neg/print info.

Oh, right, I forgot about Darr's site. Darr, can you unlock that new post?

Cheers!
--A

Ole Tjugen
4-Mar-2007, 12:33
I'm sure many have seen it before, but here's my uncharacteristically colourful contribution:

Technical data: Technika III 5x7" with Angulon 165mm f:6.8 at f:32, exposure "sufficient" on expired Ektachrome EPN 13x18cm.

The aperture was chosen to give a 5mm "blur circle" at all distances from the neatby tree to infinity, since no combination of movements could possibly bring everything in focus. I decided I could live with a 5mm blur on the leaves without losing the impact.

Saulius
4-Mar-2007, 15:01
Ok, for those who are not participating here's my image and info. I sent with the print.

Proxy Falls

The image was taken in the spring of 2006. Proxy Falls is located along the McKenzie
Highway 242 in the Three Sisters Wilderness in central Oregon, USA. It is an easy half mile hike to a view of the falls from the car. However access to this area depends on winter snow levels as this scenic road is not plowed and therefore closed at times for six months of the year. The viewpoint from the trail is very nice but to capture this image I needed to get much closer. There's a faint trail leading down a steep embankment requiring navigation over and around fallen trees and lush vegetation. My original idea was to take some images near the base of the falls taking in the flowing stream, moss covered logs and the falls above. However another photographer had beaten me to this area this morning and he was standing within my desired composition. So I decided to look for another vantage point and climbed up the steep hillside along the left side of the falls. The falls are about 100 feet high so I climbed about 70 feet up towards a small outcrop I had seen from below. Once there I saw this beautiful plant blooming and I immediately realized what my composition would be. This was a tight area which allowed me to just set up my tripod and camera so I had to leave my back pack several steps away. So I had to climb up and down several feet each time I needed to access my equipment. Once I had the basic composition set up I went to my pack to find my focusing loupe. I looked in my bag where I usually keep my loupe but it wasn’t there. I searched some more, looked through my entire pack and nothing. I felt an uneasy feeling in the pit of my stomach as I realized I had left it back home. I was about a 2 hour drive from home not to mention the sweaty climb it took to reach this spot. Well, I decided to just do my best in focusing with my naked eye. And what do you know; the image came out pretty well. It was a reminder to me to always recheck my gear the night before heading out on a trip and when adversity strikes to just keep plugging away regardless.

Technical:
Camera is a Shen Hao HZX45-HA
Lens used is a Fujinon SW 1:8/90
Film Astia 100F 4x5 rated at 100 asa
Exposure I believe was 2 seconds at f 22. When I get caught up in taking an image I often forget to take notes.
I send my color work to be process at a lab in California called A&I Photographic & Digital Lab.
I then scan the image myself on an Epson 4870 photo scanner. I process using Adobe Photoshop. I then sent the digital file to be printed at a lab called West Coast Imaging. They did not alter the image in any way and just print the file as I sent it to them. The image is printed on Fuji Crystal Archive Matte Paper using their Chromira printer. I found this print came out quite satisfactory at 11x14 and 16x20.
If interested here are the web sites to the labs I use:
http://www.westcoastimaging.com/
http://www.aandi.com/

Brian Ellis
4-Mar-2007, 22:12
Here's mine (I hope). Michael Mutmansky was standing right next to me making the same photograph when this was made, hope he didn't submit his version and show me up. : - )

Technical data: Linhof Master Technika camera, 80mm Schneider Super Symmar XL lens, T Max 100 film, processed in D76 1-1, scanned with an Epson 4990 scanner , edited in Photoshop CS2. The one for the Exchange was printed with an Epson 2200 printer using QTR.

John Brady
5-Mar-2007, 07:24
Thanks again Andrew for managing this project!

Hog Key #1
This shot was taken on December 16th 2006 in an area called the ten thousand islands. This is in South West Florida between Naples and Miami. One of my favorite places to spend time and photograph. It's not far from my home so I go there often. I use
a small boat called a Gheenoe, to access the shallow water and remote areas.

This image was the result of two years of hurricanes that ripped up the area. This is the remnants of what was probably once a majestic Black Mangrove. The image was made at about three in the afternoon on a very overcast and rainy day. It was raining lightly when I captured this image, which adds to the texture in the water. The challenge that day was keeping my equipment dry. I shot facing the sun that was trying to break through the clouds. I have a 22x28 matted and framed on my wall that I like a lot. I hope you enjoy this one too.

The camera is the Ebony 45su. The lens is a Schneider 47mm 5.6 super angulon xl. I have a center filter but did not use it for this shot. No filters were used. I used a 1/8 sec
exposure at f-22. The film is t-max 100 ready load. Tray developed in pyrocat hd at 75 f for 13 minutes. Scanned with a microtek 1800f. Printed on an Epson 7800 printer using the Image Print RIP, set up with the Phatte Black ink set. The paper is Crane Museo Silver Rag.

Patrik Roseen
5-Mar-2007, 11:22
Some of you might recognize this photograph. I have also posted on Darr's site as suggested.

"Slow motion"
Linhof Technika 4x5"
Schneider Symmar 5.6/150mm
Efke PL100

Developed in AcuLux2, 1:19, 17 minutes, 20C.
Printed on Ilford Gallerie 3.1K, Linhof condenser enlarger, El-Nikkor 135mm

This bicycle belonged to my grandfather and has been left outside where he put it many years ago. As time passed the bicycle has been subject to wind, water, snow and sunlight, the effect of which can be seen on the seat. I really wanted to photograph it, but it took me a few days of looking at it and determining the lighting before I eventually set out to take this photograph.

The photograph is shot wide open,.i.e f5.6 for short depth of field.

Kind regards,
Patrik Roseen

Capocheny
5-Mar-2007, 13:44
Greetings all,

Firstly, I must apologize to Darr for this posting... I'd forgotten that she had kindly offered to do the same thing on her Gallery.

So, please feel free to post at one or the other, or both, locations. Here is Darr's Gallery:

http://gallery55.org/lfgallery/index.php

Thanks again folks! :)

Cheer

Terence McDonagh
5-Mar-2007, 15:20
Here's mine (I hope). Michael Mutmansky was standing right next to me making the same photograph when this was made, hope he didn't submit his version and show me up. : - )

Technical data: Linhof Master Technika camera, 80mm Schneider Super Symmar XL lens, T Max 100 film, processed in D76 1-1, scanned with an Epson 4990 scanner , edited in Photoshop CS2. The one for the Exchange was printed with an Epson 2200 printer using QTR.

Brian, I'm sure there are many similar scenes all over Ireland, but is that Ross Abbey? If it is, one of the stones to the right is for my cousins' grandparents and aunt, the Kynes.