PDA

View Full Version : NYC Large Format Photography Shoot

alec4444
3-Mar-2007, 17:40
Creating a new thread in the right spot this time...this is a continuation of the thread in the Announcements section...

Hi Alec,

At the next meeting, would it be possible to invite those with recent prints to bring them? Would like to see the 11x14 contact prints (if its not too much trouble to carry them). Have you gotten any suggestions for a location? How about Cold Spring? There's a state park just north of town with views of the river.

Don

Absolutely, I can bring a couple prints. There's still room in the mammoth bag. :) I'm also hoping David will bring his new 7x17 since I'm dying to have a look at that format!

I'm up for going practically anywhere for the next shoot...we certainly don't have to be in the city. Looked up Cold Sping on the map and...well...looks nice on the map! Why not? I'm willing to go anywhere within a reasonable distance.

Have Zipcar, will travel. :cool:

Timeframe? End of April, early May?

--A

Terence McDonagh
4-Mar-2007, 08:30
It's a bit of a climb, but Breakneck Ridge is just north of there and has views up and down the river from the top. Storm King Mountain is directly across the river.

Cold Spring's a great little town with a decent bar/restaurant right by the train tracks.

Pete Roody
4-Mar-2007, 09:19
Cold Spring is about 1 hour north of Manhattan by train or car. It is a popular destination for hiking for New yawkers since you can take the train there.

Some of the hikes to places we could photograph from would be tough with the ulf cameras. Especially if we went by train and had to get the trail heads from the station. I have a car and maybe a few others do also. Driving would give us better access.

Pete

Pete Roody
4-Mar-2007, 09:24
It's a bit of a climb, but Breakneck Ridge is just...

"Breakneck Ridge"? Sounds like the perfect place for large format photography. I can see myself tumbling down the rock face with my 8x10! :eek:

alec4444
4-Mar-2007, 10:36
Any of these locations along the Hudson sound great. With cars we may be able to hit multiple places. Anyone know this area well? We need the Hudson River version of David. :D

Some of the hikes to places we could photograph from would be tough with the ulf cameras. Especially if we went by train and had to get the trail heads from the station. I have a car and maybe a few others do also. Driving would give us better access.

If we go out of the city I plan to do Zipcar, so I can drive and take a few people. I'm not too worried about getting the camera up a trail... As long as I have some idea of the terrain I can figure something out.

David, if you join us are you going to bring that Korona you just got? What a great deal that was!! (IMHO)

--A

David A. Goldfarb
4-Mar-2007, 11:38
If I can make it, I'll probably bring the 7x17" (presuming all is in good order--it should arrive Tuesday), but I'm going to be doing some traveling in May, so it will depend on my schedule.

alec4444
4-Mar-2007, 16:21
If I can make it, I'll probably bring the 7x17" (presuming all is in good order--it should arrive Tuesday), but I'm going to be doing some traveling in May, so it will depend on my schedule.

Well, if you're going on a trip you sure won't need that....so you can just drop it off on the way to the airport and I'll show the lads how it works. =)

--A

jantman
21-Mar-2007, 21:14
Well... I've been pretty much out of photography for the past year or so, and am a bit intimidated at breaking out the 8x10 right now... but if this finally does happen, I'd be more than happy to tag along with the Hassy.

alec4444
22-Mar-2007, 06:29
No reason to be intimidated...put that thing out! You'll have a blast! You're more than welcome to join us in any format, though...we'd love to have you along. PM me with your email addy and I'll add you to the mailing list for updates. (If you want to be added...you don't have to).

So where are we going this time anyway?!? :)

--A

Alex Wei
6-Apr-2007, 12:02
Alec, I know that area ok, did few hikes there. One thing for sure is you don't want to carry camera bigger than 4X5 up breakneck, it's really going to break your back:). The view on top is very rewarding though. Strom king may has some easy hike or walk, I will find out.

I can also drive.

Alex W.