PDA

View Full Version : Plain sheet glass - 163mm x 118mm

Rob_5419
2-Mar-2007, 09:48
I wonder if anyone can help. I'm looking for around 10 sheets of plain window glass sized to 163mm x 118mm. I guess I can go to a window shop and ask for this to be cut.

These are for traditional half-plate holders. I was thinking about alternative materials -for instance - perspex or hard PVC which can be found in a DIY store.

Is there any other options for materials to make a half-plate?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Ash
2-Mar-2007, 09:53
Don't forget you need it matt-black or you'll have a double image.

C. D. Keth
2-Mar-2007, 09:53
I wonder if anyone can help. I'm looking for around 10 sheets of plain window glass sized to 163mm x 118mm. I guess I can go to a window shop and ask for this to be cut.

These are for traditional half-plate holders. I was thinking about alternative materials -for instance - perspex or hard PVC which can be found in a DIY store.

Is there any other options for materials to make a half-plate?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Are these actually for plates to coat? Are they for "spacers" so you can use plate holders with sheet film?

If they are just spacers, you could use anything, really. Glass, though, is always good and flat and will help keep your film as flat.

If it is to coat (as in with emulsion, collodion, et cetera) that is a much bigger discussion. Glass is good for homemade emulsion. Collodion is pretty cool with glass, black glass, laquered iron, steel, tin, aluminum, et cetera.

Rob_5419
2-Mar-2007, 09:57
I like the idea of pouring liquid emulsion over the glass plates and using them directly that way in the book-form holders.

Other times, I think I will appreciate having the back support for the film sheet. Clearly a plate with a lip for the rest in would be a better idea.

Both really - it's been sometime since I last used liquid emulsion! The problem is I can see myself needing around 100 sheets at a go.

Ole Tjugen
2-Mar-2007, 10:08
I use glass plates as backing on my larger cameras (24x30cm and 30x40cm), since the cameras and holders are heavy enough that a little more makes no difference. I use the by now infamous jam trick to stick the film to the glass - orange marmelade is very sticky, and stays sticky for a very long time. It takes very little jam to tack a 30x40cm film to a plate of glass!

For the "small" formats (6.5x9cm, 9x12cm, 5x7", 13x18cm and 18x24cm), I have managed to get hold of "real" sheet film adapters. I'm sure these exist for half-plate too. But if you do manage to find some, make sure they're exactly the correct size: One of my four 13x18cm plate holders is half a millimeter too wide to hold a 5x7" film sheath. The holders are otherwise identical. And I can never remember which one it is, so I have the choise of using 13x18cm film or suddely discovering which holder i shouldn't have used, and why...

Dave Parker
2-Mar-2007, 10:19
Depending on the thickness you require, a frame shop might be more suited to securing the glass you need, most of the regular glass shops around my area don't carry thin glass, but a bit thicker, but the framing shops carry 2mm glass that should be suitable. You might also see if there is a wholesale distributor in your area that you can by glass by the case from, cutting glass is actually pretty simple once you get the hang of it.

Dave