PDA

View Full Version : dazed and confuzed

jj golden
2-Mar-2007, 01:03
i bought a 127mm ektar lens, mounted in my board , installed on my camera omega 45d, ok now what? i cant see anything through the glass, (im sure i must be doing something really stupid here) i fully opend the shutter (that i made sure of) please help, :confused:

Gene McCluney
2-Mar-2007, 01:44
You should not only open up the shutter but open up the aperture to widest, in other words you should see light thru the lens, fully open, you should see no iris blades or shutter blades, just glass. If you then cannot see anything on the ground glass, you have one of two situations....One..your camera is not set near focus..that is your camera ground glass it too close or too far away from the lens by a lot shot, or Two..your lens is missing an element and not capable of focusing. Your Ektar should have glass elements on the back and front of the shutter.

For a 127 mm lens, you wil not need to use all the bellows you have, your front and rear standards should be about 127mm apart (a teensy bit over 5 inches)..in other words for focus at infinity the lens to ground glass distance should be near 5 inches.

I think this covers everything about as simply as possible.

Jack Fisher
2-Mar-2007, 07:56
One last guess: Is there anything between the ground glass and the lens? (a film holder?) With the lens and lens board removed, you should be able to look through the front of the camera and see the ground glass. If so, then what Gene said applies.

Jack

GPS
2-Mar-2007, 08:20
Com'on, take off that rear lenscap...

Brian Ellis
2-Mar-2007, 09:30
(1) Remove front and rear lens caps (one of my favorite tricks is removing the front cap but not the rear); (2) open lens to its widest aperture and keep it there using whatever mechanism the lens has to allow you do do that; (3) make sure you haven't inserted the film holder; (4) remove the ground glass protector if you have one; (5) drape dark cloth or whatever you're using over the camera, get under it, keeping your head about a foot away from the ground glass you should be able to see fine.

Ed Richards
2-Mar-2007, 10:08
> one of my favorite tricks is removing the front cap but not the rear

A killer on the Technika when you are using the rangefinder. I try to remember to look at the GG before I start shooting.:-)

jj golden
2-Mar-2007, 11:26
i had my bellows out to far, once i moved it in,,, poof, there it was, upside down but it was there lol, thanks guys for the replys

SAShruby
2-Mar-2007, 11:51
You know you've been ready for close-ups, betcha you looked very close before the lens and the picture on your GG was there, but you couln't see it. ;)

chris jordan
2-Mar-2007, 11:57
If you want the image to appear right side up on the ground glass, you have to move to Australia.

Ralph Barker
2-Mar-2007, 12:13
LOL, Chris.

Bruce Watson
2-Mar-2007, 12:30
If you want the image to appear right side up on the ground glass, you have to move to Australia.

Will it still be backwards?

Ole Tjugen
2-Mar-2007, 12:51
Will it still be backwards?

Always.

chris jordan
2-Mar-2007, 13:30
To us it is always backwards, but Chinese photographers in Australia see it correctly (because they read right to left).

What I wonder about is photography on the space station. Does the image still look upside down and backwards, or do the image elements all float around randomly on the GG?

Brian C. Miller
2-Mar-2007, 14:08
Does the image still look upside down and backwards, or do the image elements all float around randomly on the GG?
Can't tell, the UFO's are always blocking the shot!

Bruce Watson
2-Mar-2007, 15:21
To us it is always backwards, but Chinese photographers in Australia see it correctly (because they read right to left).

What I wonder about is photography on the space station. Does the image still look upside down and backwards, or do the image elements all float around randomly on the GG?

So if you are from Mongolia, using a view camera just comes naturally since you read right to left and bottom to top? Damn! Just my luck to be born in America and want to use a view camera. Who was it that said: "We always want what we can not have?"

roteague
2-Mar-2007, 15:52

That doesn't work, I go to Australia almost every year. I have learned how to drive on the other side of the road, however. :eek:

John Cahill
2-Mar-2007, 20:07

Totally unneeded trip to the Antipodes: either mount the camera upside on your tripod
or else use a sky hook and hang the tripod upside down. Simplify, Simplify!! (VBG)

jj golden
2-Mar-2007, 21:57
Lol

GPS
3-Mar-2007, 01:44
That doesn't work, I go to Australia almost every year. I have learned how to drive on the other side of the road, however. :eek:

You're completely right! Keep hoping - what didn't work one year can work the next one. Practice is important.

Turner Reich
3-Mar-2007, 04:27
A reflex hood can make it right side up; left to right is better left to NASA.

GPS
3-Mar-2007, 05:37
A reflex hood can make it right side up; left to right is better left to NASA.

If you put a second reflex hood vertically on the first one it will take care of that problem tool. Works like a charm...

Rafael Garcia
3-Mar-2007, 18:04
I can't believe so many smart people have not been able to figure out something so easily solved! The way to get the image right on the GG screen is to photograph upside-down, perfectly symetrical subjects. There!

John Kasaian
3-Mar-2007, 18:40
Rafael,
That take into account everything but the backwards----you've got to either reverse the lens or load the film backwards in the holder ;)

Jack Fisher
3-Mar-2007, 21:07
John, Does that apply to left-handed/eyed people or right-handed? Sometimes I think I am in my right mind. But still it is upside down.

Jack - the leftie.

John Kasaian
3-Mar-2007, 21:24
Jack,
I'm a lefty too. That must make us right ;)