PDA

View Full Version : lens removel

jj golden
1-Mar-2007, 07:26
hello i was wondering to remove a lens from a board do you have to have special tools? thanks

Ash
1-Mar-2007, 07:31
Depends on the lens and the board I think.

I'm sure some just unscrew with a little persuasion, and others need a special tool. Correct me if I'm wrong.

jj golden
1-Mar-2007, 07:54
the lens is a ektar lens 127mm with supermatic shutter, the board is just some kind of foam board it was mounted on for display i think, thanks

Dave Parker
1-Mar-2007, 08:24
Yous should be able to remove the retaining ring, then remove the lens from the board, if is a foam core board, should not be difficult to remove as there is plenty of give in the board, the best way to mount and dis mount lenses is using a spanner wrench, I picked my set up on ebay.

Dave

Ernest Purdum
1-Mar-2007, 08:33
There are two usual ways of mounting a lens in shutter. There may be a flange on the front of the board into which the assembly screws. You can just screw it out.

More likely in your case, the shutter will be held by a retaining ring at the back of the lensboard. Look at the back for a ring with two or more slots at the ouside, This unscrews and when it is removed the assembly just pulls straight out. The tool made for this pupose is usually called an adjustable spanner. If the ring is really tight, you will need one. They show up on eBay fairly often or can be purchased from www.skgrimes.com. Often, however, the ring is not all that tight and can be removed with an improvised tool.

Ron Marshall
1-Mar-2007, 09:24
This site has photos of a lens being mounted. Some extra steps are pictured, because the lens is being mounted on a recessed board. But with a flat board the main proceedure is the same:

http://www.fourmilab.ch/documents/recessed_lensboard/

David Karp
1-Mar-2007, 10:26
Get one of these. Each side fits into the retaining ring of the shutter shown on the label. They are available from Rodenstock, MPEX, and Toyo.

Unscrew the rear element from the shutter, remove the retaining ring, separate the lens from the board (one or the other will fall off if you are not holding both, so hold them both), then screw the rear element back into the shutter.

Ernest Purdum
1-Mar-2007, 10:50
David, I don't think the spanner you show will fit a Supermatic.

Dave Parker
1-Mar-2007, 10:54
The 3 piece spanner kit I bought off of ebay for about $20 bucks, will cover virtually any size shutter that has been made in the last 125 years, I have used it on the 127mm as well as up to #5 shutters.

Dave

David Karp
1-Mar-2007, 15:27
David, I don't think the spanner you show will fit a Supermatic.

Ernest,

Good point. If you use older shutters, or any not listed on one of the four sides of that flat wrench, a spanner wrench like this will work. Thanks for pointing that out.

Ash
1-Mar-2007, 15:54
David, do you know if MicroTools sells them? I'm thinking I might need one soon for cleaning up an old stiff lens

David Karp
1-Mar-2007, 19:43
No idea if they sell one of these.

Many photo stores have (had?) them. MPEX sells wrenches like the one shown in my last post. I think that S.K. Grimes sells some sort of spanner wrench (probably high quality).

Sorry I can't help more.

Oren Grad
1-Mar-2007, 20:49
I think that S.K. Grimes sells some sort of spanner wrench (probably high quality).

http://www.skgrimes.com/span/index.htm

I own both the pointed and flat tip versions - bought them from Steve soon after he started to offer them. Vastly superior to the inexpensive generic-brand spanner I had tried first.

jj golden
2-Mar-2007, 22:01
can you buy these at home depot or they just made for shutters

Jon Wilson
3-Mar-2007, 00:04
http://www.skgrimes.com/span/index.htm

I own both the pointed and flat tip versions - bought them from Steve soon after he started to offer them. Vastly superior to the inexpensive generic-brand spanner I had tried first.

I totally agree. I have used the cheaper spanner wrenches and they just do not hold a candle to the SK Grimes design. These spanners wrenches are top notch. I recently purchased the set for about $60 (delivered from RI to ID in less than a week...great service and super product). The pointed and flat tip versions are essential tools IMO given their allen wrench tightening nut design feature which ensures the wrenches stay properly adjusted when you use them. This type of security is not possible with the cheaper spanner wrenches.

So if you cherish your photographic equipment, then you are missing out by not having a set of the SK Grimes spanner wrenches, their cost is minimal...especially when you compare their purchase price to the damage one cause by scratching a lens....

Jon

Ron Marshall
3-Mar-2007, 00:58
can you buy these at home depot or they just made for shutters

No. Here is a link to one store but Badger etc. also sell them:

http://www.viewcamerastore.com/product_info.php?products_id=92

David Karp
3-Mar-2007, 01:24
This is not meant to be a poke at any of the prior posters. I am seriously interested in an answer to this.

Is there any advantage to using the S.K. Grimes spanner wrenches instead of the flat 4 sided wrenches with the fixed spans for Copal 0, 1, 3 and Prontor 3 if your lenses are all in Copal shutters, in good shape, and you have no problems loosening or tightening the retaining ring?

Turner Reich
3-Mar-2007, 04:29
I didn't get to say anything on this question so if you tried everything and nothing worked there is always a hammer and chisel.:D

GPS
3-Mar-2007, 05:27
It works much better without the chisel.

Jon Wilson
3-Mar-2007, 09:33
This is not meant to be a poke at any of the prior posters. I am seriously interested in an answer to this.

Is there any advantage to using the S.K. Grimes spanner wrenches instead of the flat 4 sided wrenches with the fixed spans for Copal 0, 1, 3 and Prontor 3 if your lenses are all in Copal shutters, in good shape, and you have no problems loosening or tightening the retaining ring?

Dave, IMO, the advantage of the SK Grimes spanner over the fixed spans you are referring to is that Grimes spanners are more versatile, e.g., can be used to not only be adjusted to remove the various flanges/retaining rings, but can be used in removing or taking apart lens so you can clean the inside of the glass.

Jon

David Karp
3-Mar-2007, 09:38
Gotcha. Its value is as a multipurpose tool as opposed to a single purpose tool. I was focusing on lens removal only. (Its because you could not get me to take a lens apart unless it was otherwise going to be thrown away. If I have to take one apart, its going to someone else.)

Thanks.

Oren Grad
3-Mar-2007, 09:56

Over the years I've handled plenty of lens mountings / demountings where the all-in-one device would have been useless. Between the long taper and the choice of pointed and spade tips, the Grimes wrenches can get into all sorts of awkward spots. The most common problem involves drillings of thick wooden boards that leave little clearance for the spanner. For these, the pointed-tip Grimes wrench is a lifesaver.

If you're doing only routine mountings of modern lenses on flat metal boards, the flat 4-sided tool may be OK. Just stay away from cheap adjustable spanners - those are prone to slip without warning.

David Karp
3-Mar-2007, 16:32
Thanks Oren,

And you are right. I am coming from using flat metal boards and have nothing but Copal 0 or 1 shutters. The flat wrench is easy to store and carry with you wherever you might need it. I can see how having a real tool would be appropriate in other situations, using different equipment.

gary892
3-Mar-2007, 19:37
If you choose a spanner wrench be very careful when trying to loosen the retaining ring. It is possible to scratch the lens with that style of wrench. I prefer the four sided lens wrench.

Gary

Oren Grad
3-Mar-2007, 21:25
If you choose a spanner wrench be very careful when trying to loosen the retaining ring. It is possible to scratch the lens with that style of wrench.

Yes. Even a good quality adjustable spanner must be used with care.