PDA

View Full Version : Meridian 45A - Accept any rollfilm backs?

Scott --
28-Feb-2007, 11:33
Hey, everyone -

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Crown Graphic as my first step into LF. I'm not set up for developing 4x5 (yet), so I need a rollfilm back of some ilk. I'm wanting to shoot landscapes and some archetectural. I know the Crown is weak on lots of movements; I started into reading on the Meridian 45A today, and am intrigued. Question is, though, is there any way (short of major surgery) to use some kind of rollfilm back on one?

This here article (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/meridian/meridian.html) suggests that a Calumet C2 would work on the Meridian 45B, which (I think) has the same back setup as the 45A. Anyone know this for certain? Or have any other ideas about using RFBs on a 45A?

Thanks.
Scott

Dave Parker
28-Feb-2007, 11:38
A C2 is going to be about your only option on this camera, as it slides under the ground glass like a film holder does. As far as regular roll film holders your pretty much going to be out of luck with just about any camera that does not have a removable ground glass screen holder, such as the graflok or the international back. If you buy a C2, make sure it is serviceable, I have bought two separate ones over the years that actually had broken teeth in the gearing, that sellers claimed they did not know about, personally, this is one of the items, I won't buy off ebay any longer, I would only purchase one that I could handle or from a reputable second hand dealer.

Dave

Scott --
28-Feb-2007, 11:49
Thanks, Dave. I'd take my chances with the C2, feeling that Karma may help me (may not, OTOH... ;) ), but the one thing that worries me is the funky round lens board on the 45A...

Have a few hours to mull it over yet. Crown? Meridian? Crown? Meridian? :rolleyes:

Scott

Dave Parker
28-Feb-2007, 12:05
Scott,

I have heard from a few of my customers that the round board is good, but they are not easy to locate if you need another.

Anyway, what every you decide, I am sure you will have fun, there is nothing like looking at a 4x5 neg or slide on the light table! Except and 8x10, 11x14 or the big boys the 20 x 24!

:D

Dave

Scott --
28-Feb-2007, 12:32
Doh! The Meridian's been bid out of my range. Dagnabbit.

Looks like a Crown Graphic's in my future!