PDA

View Full Version : Gaoersi 4x5 Any experience on using it? (Gaoersi vs Cambo)

Irina
28-Feb-2007, 03:45
Dear collegues!
I'm thinking of buying Gaoersi 4x5 camera! Any experience on using it?
I need high professional quality of work. I also have Technar 45 (but today it's very difficult to buy additional lensboards for another lenses), there for I need another 4x5 camera. I know there also i Cambo wide camera, but Gaoersi is much cheaper then Cambo, this is a plus, but what about quality? Will you suggest me to buy Gaoersi 4x5?

GPS
28-Feb-2007, 04:04
It seems to me from the previous postings that you are quite at a loss when it comes to photographic equipment and its choice. I suggest you do first some basic studies on the net about camera equipment, its manufactures, the quality, the characteristic etc. You have a plenty of material in the archive of this forum too. Nobody can do this for you. If not you're in danger of giving in to superficial impressions or simply of very wrong decisions. Putting together a Gaoersi camera with the Cambo wide is like comparing a sick dog to an exhibition dogie.

Irina
28-Feb-2007, 04:40
It seems to me from the previous postings that you are quite at a loss when it comes to photographic equipment and its choice. I suggest you do first some basic studies on the net about camera equipment, its manufactures, the quality, the characteristic etc. You have a plenty of material in the archive of this forum too. Nobody can do this for you. If not you're in danger of giving in to superficial impressions or simply of very wrong decisions. Putting together a Gaoersi camera with the Cambo wide is like comparing a sick dog to an exhibition dogie.

Dear GPS. I'm a professinal photographer and I know all equipment I have. But it's very difficult to choose smth what I can not take in hands before purchase (I'm in Russia, all this equipment itn't available in shops just to come and to see it). But I'm going to the important expedition and I'm afraid of any mistakes. There for I prefer to read another opinions for to make the right purchases! Yes, of course you are right, that Cambo is like an exhibition dogie and Gaoersi is like a sick dog. But could you tell me reasons? Cambo quite expensive and it seems it will be difficult to change lensboards, there for I was thinking about Gaoersi for aerial photography. But if differences in quality are so great - I will choose Cambo of course.

Thank you for your reply!

GPS
28-Feb-2007, 04:50
Dear GPS. ...
Yes, of course you are right, that Cambo is like an exhibition dogie and Gaoersi is like a sick dog. But could you tell me reasons? ...Thank you for your reply!

Of course I'm right? Why of course if you don't know the reasons??

Greg Lockrey
28-Feb-2007, 05:28
Gaoersi like a sick puppy? There is a following for the camera at this website: http://www.photo-i.co.uk/BB/viewforum.php?f=32 perhaps they will be more willing to give you insight. Both look to be a well made cameras, the Gaoersi is made in China where the labor is far less than the Dutch made Cambo. You'll have to study as much as possible to get some insights. To find anyone who has used both in their career for comparison purposes may be slim.

Irina
28-Feb-2007, 05:40
Of course I'm right? Why of course if you don't know the reasons??

Because I can see the differense prise and can quess why this difference exists! :) On the other hand in China labour price is much lower then in Europe! There for I suppose Gaoersi can be ok for many situations and in some situations even more comfortable.

I doubt I will tell you why:

1) In helicopter I need to change lenses quickly. I'm not sure Cambo lensboards can be quickly changed for me to use 2-3 lenses!

2) I can not see all necessary Cambo lenses available right now in Calumetphoto.com

3) While fielding in wild nature it will be very difficult for me to carry more then 2 bodies, there for I need one (4x5) body and 3-4 lensboards with lenses (for example 65mm, 250mm, 72mm), which can be easily changed from one to another.

GPS
28-Feb-2007, 05:45
How about a nice Fotoman 45PS?

Irina
28-Feb-2007, 06:29
How about a nice Fotoman 45PS?

If only I could see all these cameras in reality, I would understand what I need the same moment, but unfortunately I can choose the camera only according to the pictures on the sites!:confused:

There are some details:

1) To minimize total weight of equipment (in expedition it's very important) I want to use one lens with two cameras. For example I want to use 72mm Super Angulon with 4x5 camera and with my Arca Swiss F-Field Monorail camera as well. That's why I paid my attention to a "sick dog" - I quess it's quite easy to take the lens from Gaoersi lensboard and to put it to Arca Swiss lensboard. For me to use one lens with 2 dofferent cameras.

2) Another detail is that I want to use one 4x5 body with several lenses. There for I need to know hw easy is it to take away one lensboard and to put there another one? Lensboard with clips in corners would be much better then lensboard with screws!

Look, here is Gaoersi 4x5. It posesses 2 screws, I think the lensboard will be changed quickly!
http://bizweb.cn/com/poodley/pic/1138164092.jpg

Now look at the Cambo board.. I can't imagine how to change the lensboard here and to put another one!
http://www.calumetphoto.com/resources/images/prod_tnlg/cb0710k-1.jpg

Low look Fotoman 45PS. Four screws in the corners of the board. I will have to unscrey them. But I think it's easier then in Cambo. And it's wonderful that Fotoman 45PS camera is compatible with 250mm lens.
http://www.fotomancamera.com/product/2006919225204x5-34-up-Lg.jpg

And the topic of possibility to take lens from 4x5 camera lensboard and to moove it to Arca Swiss board.. I think gaoersi or Fotoman are again more comfortable!

So my choice depends on possibility of two mentioned details!

Which one will you suggest me to solve my two needs? If these two needs can be easily solved with Cambo - I will not grudge money and will buy it.

Greg Lockrey
28-Feb-2007, 06:49
For the money and the fact that you aren't sure, I'd put the money into the Gaoersi due to the fact that you can get all of your lens with the proper cones and helix focusing rings for about the price of the Cambo alone. One of the wonderful things about the Net is that you could sell the camera more easily if in fact it didn't meet your needs. Fotoman is another good option, albeit it's about twice the price of a Gaoersi. Fotoman is Chinese (Hong Kong) made as well. Good luck on your expedition! Wish I could come with you.:)

Irina
28-Feb-2007, 06:57
Good luck on your expedition! Wish I could come with you.:)

Thanks for your reply!
By the way I was already thinking on making a hand-made lensboard for my Technar 45 to use with 250mm lens :) a have a very talented man, who can do it, but now I think it's better to buy a new one.

By the way Gaoersi doesn't posess 250mm lens, am I right? There for Fotoman may be even better for me!

Greg Lockrey
28-Feb-2007, 07:04
You can go from 47mm to 150mm. FWIW I never seen a used Goaersi on the market. That could mean one of two things: One: there aren't any out there, Two: those who have them won't part with them.:) Fotoman would be a good choice if you need the 250mm capability. After double checking the price, they aren't that much more expensive than the Gaoersi after all.

Irina
28-Feb-2007, 07:21
You can go from 47mm to 150mm. FWIW I never seen a used Goaersi on the market. That could mean one of two things: One: there aren't any out there, Two: those who have them won't part with them.:) Fotoman would be a good choice if you need the 250mm capability. After double checking the price, they aren't that much more expensive than the Gaoersi after all.

Yes, I agree, they don't want to part with them :)

For me to use 250mm lens from ground and 72mm lens from air - Fotoman camera will be even better then Cambo, because if I choose Cambo, I will have to look for additional camera specially for 250mm lens or to make a hand-made board for my Technar 45 :eek: .

Greg Lockrey
28-Feb-2007, 07:24
Looks like Fotoman will meet your needs. :)

GPS
28-Feb-2007, 07:39
Fotoman has already been tested as an aerial camera. Ask Paul Droluk (he's in this forum some times, or contact him at his address from the Fotoman site). The change of lenses is very quick on Fotoman's 45PS, you have a better choice of lenses there and much better quality than Gaoersi. By all means, contact Paul, you won't be disappointed. Cheers.

Irina
28-Feb-2007, 07:57
Fotoman has already been tested as an aerial camera. Ask Paul Droluk (he's in this forum some times, or contact him at his address from the Fotoman site). The change of lenses is very quick on Fotoman's 45PS, you have a better choice of lenses there and much better quality than Gaoersi. By all means, contact Paul, you won't be disappointed. Cheers.

Thanks, I will do this right now!

MJSfoto1956
28-Feb-2007, 10:06
Just FYI, we did an in-depth review of the Gaoersi 4x5 in the premiere issue of MAGNAchrom. (which you are free to download)

Here is the synopsis of the article:

Pluses:

Good value
Very strong
"Rotating" back is a plus
Provides shift for 75mm-90mm lenses (some claim 65mm too)
4x5 graflok will work w/ most 4x5 backs
Easy to order via PayPal

Minuses:

poorly designed website and conflicting information
in-exact tolerances (some parts appear to be hand-made)
hand-grip ergononomics prevent single hand shooting (unless your left wrist is superman's)
I had a bad experience returning an item for repair, which I learned to live with
Zoom finders offered for sale on their website do not compare to European quality

Feel free to pmail me at editor "at" magnachrom "dot" com if you have any other questions. I was very happy with the camera on an outing last summer in Santa Fe where I used the Gaoersi together with a 6x12 Horseman back to enable me to shoot hand-held large format. Within the constraints mentioned above, I would cheerfully recommend this camera.

Ted Harris
28-Feb-2007, 15:30
Give more serious thought to the Fotoman 45PS. I am staring at one right now ... solid and well built, easy to use. Yes, changing the lens cones is a bit of a pain but nonetheless it is far, far better made than the Gaoersi. I have used it with a 58, 75 and 135 lens both point and shoot and on a tripod. See my review of the camera in View Camera ... think it was the November - December issue.

Irina
1-Mar-2007, 04:45
Give more serious thought to the Fotoman 45PS. I am staring at one right now ... solid and well built, easy to use. Yes, changing the lens cones is a bit of a pain but nonetheless it is far, far better made than the Gaoersi. I have used it with a 58, 75 and 135 lens both point and shoot and on a tripod. See my review of the camera in View Camera ... think it was the November - December issue.

Thank you, I will pay my attention to it!

Irina
1-Mar-2007, 04:58
Just FYI, we did an in-depth review of the Gaoersi 4x5 in the premiere issue of MAGNAchrom. (which you are free to download)

Here is the synopsis of the article:

Thank you, this is what I wanted to know about this camera! By the way, which one would you choose Gaoersi or Fotoman?

MJSfoto1956
21-Mar-2007, 16:51
Thank you, this is what I wanted to know about this camera! By the way, which one would you choose Gaoersi or Fotoman?

Depends upon how much you value the following:

1.) shift
2.) vertical/horizontal back
3.) Graflok back

If the above are of primary importance, then go for the Gaoersi.

If you value simplicity, then by all means go for the Fotoman. As far as I can tell, both brands cost approximately the same (especially if you figure in the cost of lenses on the total cost)

Cheers,

GPS
22-Mar-2007, 01:46
Further advantages of the Fotoman cameras over the Gaoersi: the overall quality of the craftsmanship, better ergonomics, a more precise viewfinder, better after sale service.
Since Irina need this camera for handheld shooting from a helicopter she surely doesn't need any shift capability on this camera, my educated guess.

MJSfoto1956
22-Mar-2007, 04:45
Further advantages of the Fotoman cameras over the Gaoersi: the overall quality of the craftsmanship, better ergonomics, a more precise viewfinder, better after sale service.

I would be careful making any generalizations unless you actually have handled both cameras. My guess: you probably have not. As explained in detail in my article, the Gaoersi is a fabulous design with some minor problems. The Fotoman is likewise a fabulous design, but with greater limitations (i.e. no ability to use Graflok, no rise, no rotating back). While priced similarly, the two cameras address different needs. At a high level that is the real difference between the two. I think the my statement is more suscinct and less likely to draw incorrect assumptions about the products as implied by your post.

GPS
22-Mar-2007, 08:24
From what Irina wrote, she doesn't ask for the Graflock back, neither does she for the rise capability or a rotating back (to rotate the hand held camera in hands makes the same result in a more simple way). A fabulous design with all the defects you described in your article (never heart about in Fotoman cameras) is in your eyes just "some minor problems". The fabulous design of the Fotoman has greater limitations? Greater advantages too, (see above my post) - half full, half empty, we know that.
Personally, if I were recommending one or the other camera to someone who want to use it on a demanding expedition in nature I would never advice a camera with parts that needed to go back to the manufacturer right away and didn't come back corrected even after. Anyway, to each his own.

MJSfoto1956
22-Mar-2007, 19:09
From what Irina wrote, she doesn't ask for the Graflock back, neither does she for the rise capability or a rotating back (to rotate the hand held camera in hands makes the same result in a more simple way). A fabulous design with all the defects you described in your article (never heart about in Fotoman cameras) is in your eyes just "some minor problems". The fabulous design of the Fotoman has greater limitations? Greater advantages too, (see above my post) - half full, half empty, we know that.
Personally, if I were recommending one or the other camera to someone who want to use it on a demanding expedition in nature I would never advice a camera with parts that needed to go back to the manufacturer right away and didn't come back corrected even after. Anyway, to each his own.

Ugggh, this is sounding pitifully like a "my camera is better than yours" diatribe. Hopefully, we can let Irina decide for herself what her real needs are rather than having others interpret her needs for her. One thing for sure: when I get an opportunity to review ANY camera, you can be damn sure I will dig to find annoyances and flaws and problems with them which I intend to bring to the light of day. You will never find me printing a fluff review in MAGNAchrom.

I will say this: it appears that you have missed a critical point of my Gaoersi review -- in that it is truly a great design, very clever and clearly well thought out by someone who understands what photographers want in a portable 4x5. I would say that in comparison, the Fotoman seems like a compromise in regards to design (and particularly with regards to its questionable ergonmics) Again, my measure for any camera would be Linhof when it comes to ergonmics. Hopefully, Gaoersi by now have "fixed" some of their flaws in their manufacturing process (especially after my pointed review).

For all of us concerned on the Large Format Forum, we should be thankful that there are people out there taking the risk in introducing new cameras in this day and age. I would hope you would agree that we *NEED* Gaoersi and Fotoman and others to be successful. Otherwise, we are just shooting ourselves in the foot when we castigate "one of our own".

GPS
22-Mar-2007, 23:30

It seems that those who reviewed the Fotoman camera don't see the Gaoersi as a compromised design camera as you do. You may hope that Gaoersi corrected their flaws in the manufacturing process - as you did when you hoped for a corrected part sent to them for a repair but it seems that your hopes are just that - hopes.
I don't know if you have ever been to an expedition with cameras but you approach to advice material seems to be ridiculous. As I said, to each his own.

GPS
23-Mar-2007, 00:12
Ugggh, this is sounding pitifully like a "my camera is better than yours" diatribe. Hopefully, we can let Irina decide for herself what her real needs are rather than having others interpret her needs for her. One thing for sure: when I get an opportunity to review ANY camera, you can be damn sure I will dig to find annoyances and flaws and problems with them which I intend to bring to the light of day. You will never find me printing a fluff review in MAGNAchrom.

I will say this: it appears that you have missed a critical point of my Gaoersi review -- in that it is truly a great design, very clever and clearly well thought out by someone who understands what photographers want in a portable 4x5. I would say that in comparison, the Fotoman seems like a compromise in regards to design (and particularly with regards to its questionable ergonmics) Again, my measure for any camera would be Linhof when it comes to ergonmics. Hopefully, Gaoersi by now have "fixed" some of their flaws in their manufacturing process (especially after my pointed review).

Michael, you can't have a cake and eat it. You can't cry about how good you're at describing flaws in a reviewed camera and at the same time minimizing serious problems with the camera in your final judgments. A camera that has miserable finish, a camera that must be "repaired" on several places with a tape (!), a camera that you say has flaws in its design, that holds rollfilm holder rattling and this even after a repair (!) etc. is not a contender to a Fotoman craftsmanship and design. Or it is - but a miserable one. And surely it is not a camera to recommend for a difficult expedition photography from a helicopter and in a very cold environment. Indeed, you comments sound very much like "my camera is better than yours" diatribe. You're shooting yourself to your own foot if you make reviews in one way and make conclusions in the other way and then try to defend yourself with these conflicting comments. Gaoersi as you described it recommended as an expedition camera? A joke or a missed judgment?

MJSfoto1956
23-Mar-2007, 04:14
Gaoersi as you described it recommended as an expedition camera? A joke or a missed judgment?

Gaoersi as I have USED it is a great expedition camera. Again a great DESIGN (you keep missing this point and confusing it with manufacturing) with some manufacturing flaws -- all of which I have been able to live with -- even though I would rather they not be there. Hopefully these will be addressed by the manufacturer, and if not then they will go out of business and you can pat yourself on the back. The Fotoman 45 is not much in the way of a great DESIGN (as you would say, that is its feature) rather its main hallmark seems to be that it doesn't try to do too much. I for one found the camera awkward to use ergonomically (yes those wooden grips are pitiful indeed), but as you say the camera is the utmost in simplicity and the fit and finish were very good indeed -- nothing WRONG with that. Just different needs being addressed.

Most LFers that I know are able to deal with "getting things to work" and aren't too put off with walking on banana peels. But of course, there are those who have to be safe in the knowledge that they bought a camera that got a good review in a magazine and want everything to be perfect -- after all, that is why Linhofs cost as much as they do. The Fotoman and Gaoersi cost as little as they do because they both had to cut corners -- in the case of Fotoman, fewer features. In the case of Gaoersi, the finish. However functionally, the Gaoersi is the better design of the two (FYI I studied Industrial Design in college and I do know what I am talking about). I stand by both my assertions in this thread as well as the content of the review article safe in the knowledge that I have actually handled both cameras and am not merely speculating like others who have posted to this thread.

NOTE: I thought Fotoman's ORIGINAL concept for their 4x5 was a much better design. There are photos of this model floating around the internet if you are so inclined to search. In fact, I was ready to buy one until I saw the final product. Not being able to use a Graflok back was a deal breaker for me. It would appear that after doing their marketing research, they ended up with the current design, which in my book pales in comparison to their original vision. So much for marketing research! They should have stuck to their guns.

GPS
23-Mar-2007, 05:17
[QUOTE=MJSfoto1956;228277]Gaoersi as I have USED it is a great expedition camera. Again a great DESIGN (you keep missing this point and confusing it with manufacturing) with some manufacturing flaws -- all of which I have been able to live with -- even though I would rather they not be there. Hopefully these will be addressed by the manufacturer, QUOTE]

A great expedition camera - repaired with a tape after having been "repaired" in the factory! If that is your idea of a great expedition camera I understand with whom I have this dialog. And yes, hope that the flaws (also the design flaws you yourself found on this great expedition camera) will be addressed by the manufacturer - if not, it still will be a great expedition camera for you, won't it? And if you read the post (Ted) I presented to your attention you could see that you're not the only person in the thread who actually handled the Fotoman camera. Whatever. Happy expedition - oh, don't forget your tapes to "repair" the Gaoersi as you go..!

GPS
23-Mar-2007, 05:21
NOTE: I thought Fotoman's ORIGINAL concept for their 4x5 was a much better design. There are photos of this model floating around the internet if you are so inclined to search. In fact, I was ready to buy one until I saw the final product. Not being able to use a Graflok back was a deal breaker for me. It would appear that after doing their marketing research, they ended up with the current design, which in my book pales in comparison to their original vision. So much for marketing research! They should have stuck to their guns.

Very wisely the Fotoman is designing yet another camera with a RF holder in use, the Dmax. They know their guns...

MJSfoto1956
24-Mar-2007, 14:36
And if you read the post (Ted) I presented to your attention you could see that you're not the only person in the thread who actually handled the Fotoman camera.

This statement suggests to me that you might not have ever actually shot with the Fotoman and are depending upon the status of others to draw your conclusions. If so, then you would merely be a cheerleader in this conversation. If not, then I would really like to see proof of your own prowess with the Fotoman -- go ahead, post some pix here. We'd love to see 'em.

Another suggestion: cool the rhetoric. Your angry posts are bordering flame-like.

GPS
24-Mar-2007, 14:42
..- go ahead, post some pix here. We'd love to see 'em.

Another suggestion: cool the rhetoric. Your angry posts are bordering flame-like.

We? Plural majesticus?
How about the camera,"repaired" with your tape after being "repaired" in the original factory and recommended by you for expeditions - the tape is still going strong? Any more suggestions for expeditions?

Paul Droluk
25-Mar-2007, 16:50

Well, I guess it's time to jump in here myself. Firstly, our 45PS NEVER entertained the possibility of incorporating a Graflok back. Even the earliest prtotypes were in fact clamshells. The reason for this is purely a weight consideration... we couldn't execute one without exceeding our design goal for weight. The largest single omission from the original design was the ability to change from verticle to horizontal, and have integral rise and fall, by virtue of a dove-tailed intermediary plate. Once again, the ommission was dictated by the excesssive weight factor. Once our Shift Adapter is ready, at least the movement capabilities will be there... if the user elects to add the weight penalty.

Handles... hmmmm. It's obvious JM, that the current handles are not to your liking, though you don't specify if they are the standard or aerial handles. Ergonomics are personal... fact of the matter is, a large number of users have sent me emails complimenting us on the ergonomics of the handles, and the overal ergonomics of the 45PS. I think this is one of the "damned if you do, damned if you don't" sort of things. That being said, never letting idles dogs lay, we are STILL experimenting with new handle executions... maybe we'll come up with one that will please you.

Lastly, the Gaeioursi 45 camera. In essence, I agree with you JM. Needless to say, we carefully examined this camera, long before it was even known outside of China. The design concept is a very good one. Some design elements need improvement, but not many. (I hated the handle) The quality of the build, on the other hand, leaves a lot to be desired. Not a criticism actually... the Gaeioursi market approach is very much different from ours. There are MANY folks (especially in China) who want to get into LF, but who simply have limited budgets. If WE were to have copied this design, (we thougt about it) our camera would have cost considerably more in order to have met our standards of fit and finish.

Oh... lastly, lastly... I am unable to get into Magnachrome, no matter how I try. I would dearly love to be able to do so. Maybe it's a China internet thing, but if you could give me a helping hand, I would greatly appreciate it.

Rob_5419
25-Mar-2007, 18:19
Irina - are you bored silly with everyone hi-jacking your thread to discuss LF cameras now manufactured from China? ;)

J Michael - it's great hearing an editors' perspective, critical and constructive or otherwise. I hear (mostly) what you're saying about comparative lack of features of the Fotoman (I'm thinking about LF movements) although I wasn't paying attention to its original design vision. I use a Silvestri T30 btw and have never owned a Fotoman - only handled a Fotoman before.

The Fotoman 45 is not much in the way of a great DESIGN (as you would say, that is its feature) rather its main hallmark seems to be that it doesn't try to do too much.

http://www.fotomancamera.com/product_list.asp?id=190

Have a look at the lens compatibility charts for the 45PS.

Now have a look at the one which I use, albeit with some format limitations:

http://www.silvestricamera.it/tabelle_pop_up/tabella_schneider_per_t30.htm

I'm a bit surprised at your comment. The 45PS's advantage is its interface with just about every wide-normal lens on the planet. Although I love my Silvestri T30, you can see it's a wide-angle camera only, a design which I have learnt to accept and love. Look at the limit of lenses. I have precisely .... 1 lens with the Silvestri and that is all I ever owned during my time at work with it. Instead of switching lenses, the format could be switched with a relative shift in angle of view (altering format from 5x4" to 6x12" to 6x9", 6x7" and 6x6" using the same lens. This is a little unconventional....). The wide range of lenses that the Fotoman can couple with isn't something to under-rate...that's all I guess I'm trying to point out.

The Fotoman and Gaoersi cost as little as they do because they both had to cut corners -- in the case of Fotoman, fewer features.

Not sure - I thought the cheaper workmanship overheads were responsible for the cheaper prices and better pricing efficiency for the client/customer compared to Europe. You'll appreciate that manufacture in England is not necessarily the highest quality: it just so happens that the pound is very strong against export currencies, in the same way that the chinese Renminbi (Yuan) has not been revalued.

Btw - the aerial handles on the 45PS are hardly beautiful - when I felt these, I presumed they were functional rather than aesthetic (none of that form follows function stuff ;) ). They are of course, far better than any handle I know of on my Silvestri - (there are none! so handling must be done on a tripod or on a neckstrap).

Best wishes.

MJSfoto1956
25-Mar-2007, 18:32
We? Plural majesticus?
How about the camera,"repaired" with your tape after being "repaired" in the original factory and recommended by you for expeditions - the tape is still going strong? Any more suggestions for expeditions?

You have neatly avoided answering the question: do you, or do you not, own a Fotoman 45?

Cheers,

GPS
26-Mar-2007, 00:40
It's you who avoid to see the real problem here which is not (and has not to do with) the question of my ownership, is it? You're not the only one in this thread that handled the Fotoman camera.By the way, do you need to drive a Lamborghini to see and to understand that it's quicker and more powerful than Honda Civic? You maybe do...
Speaking the Gaoersi camera - I've noticed in your review that they "repaired" your camera with a piece of a tape. Then you repaired it whit yet another piece of a tape. And then you recommend that customers "repair" even the focusing scale with yet other piece of tape. That's a heck of tape there on the camera, isn't it? Now my questions - do you need each time a different tape for each of these repairs? What kind of a tape do you recommend for each of these problems? Couldn't you have one universal tape for all of them? You understand that if people go for an expedition with the Gaoersi camera it would make a big difference if they could just take one roll of a tape instead of three different rolls. You speak of a badly designed viewfinder with this camera - do you think it could be somehow repaired with a tape also? What kind of a tape would you like to see to "repair" the viewfinder with? Thank you for answering the questions.

MJSfoto1956
26-Mar-2007, 06:05
...drivel...

Once again you refuse to answer the question: do you or do you not own a Fotoman 45?

It appears you do not.

So lt me get this straight: you have never shot with a Fotoman. You have never shot with a Gaoersi. Perhaps never used any handheld 4x5 ever. Yet you have the audacity to advise a professional photographer in Russia on what she should consider. There is a word for people who offer expertise when they have none: Charlatan.

It is because of such misinformation that I created MAGNAchrom. There is simply too much bull on the web. To find a single grain of truth requires shovelling through a mountain of trash. MAGNAchrom seeks the truth when it comes to reviewing medium and large format equipment. Our model is Automobile Magazine -- where there is hardly an article that doesn't find fault with the products they review (even when they are wild about them). Contrast that with Popular Photography where it is rare that they ever find fault with the gear they review. They can best be considered mostly "advertorial" lest they upset their advertisers.

You sir, are merely a cheerleader. A poseur. You know not of what you speak. You only want to have the last word, to hear yourself yak, to pat yourself on the back. You are also a bully.

GPS
26-Mar-2007, 08:10
J Michael Sullivan,
so now you also falsify the other's posts? Well, to each his own!

MJSfoto1956
26-Mar-2007, 08:43
<sarcasm>Any more suggestions for expeditions?</sarcasm>

I have been asked by the moderator to answer GPS's question and stop the name calling.

So here goes. And more importantly, to directly respond to the OP question of inquiring about any experience with the Gaoersi, below is a photograph I took in Santa Fe using the Gaoersi 4x5 handheld using Kodak Portra 400NC and 47mm Schneider. And yes, this was taken with the "repaired" camera, tape and all!

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/130/324141476_eeb941565c_o.jpg

Needless to say, the camera is quite capable even with its manufacturing flaws. I think this photo also speaks to the immediacy that handheld LF cameras offer. Being free of the tripod can be a real blessing.

Cheers,

GPS
26-Mar-2007, 10:22
What I really like on your picture is the large cumulus cloud. It dominates the picture and the life under it... As the highlights on the building are a little bit washed out it almost suggests that the cumulus is of the primary interest - which I like, being a fervent clouds hunter myself. Thanks for the picture! Cheers!

SAShruby
26-Mar-2007, 15:47
And the winner is .... Come on...This is pointless...Ego vs. Facts.

I think everyone know who is who here.

Paul Droluk
26-Mar-2007, 18:57
J Michael... very nice. PS - can you help me get into the Magnachrome site?

Peter... are you related to Michael Hruby from Australia?

SAShruby
27-Mar-2007, 08:08
J Michael... very nice. PS - can you help me get into the Magnachrome site?

Peter... are you related to Michael Hruby from Australia?

Paul,

Nope, but it's good to know there is one over there. I assume he is an immigrant. Do you know where he was born? He might be a relative I don't know about.

Cheers,

Paul Droluk
27-Mar-2007, 14:19
Paul,

Nope, but it's good to know there is one over there. I assume he is an immigrant. Do you know where he was born? He might be a relative I don't know about.

Cheers,

Not really, Peter. He happens to be one of our 624 users, and a rather gifted one at that. Some of his work appears in our web Gallery if you're interested.

SAShruby
27-Mar-2007, 14:50
Not really, Peter. He happens to be one of our 624 users, and a rather gifted one at that. Some of his work appears in our web Gallery if you're interested.

Paul,

I'll check it out. ;)

GPS
28-Mar-2007, 11:06
Irina left today with her expedition - and a newly acquired Fotoman camera. I'm sure we all wish her the best and many, many excellent pictures!!

Irina
18-May-2007, 10:43
Irina left today with her expedition - and a newly acquired Fotoman camera. I'm sure we all wish her the best and many, many excellent pictures!!

Well, I will use Cambo wide with 72 mm lens instead of Fotoman with 80mm lens! I was lucky to purchase it and of course I will to try it :)
I had difficulties with calibrating of Fotoman. The difference in prise is of course in calibrating! My english is not good - and I had difficulties in understanding how to calibrate! My advise - different languages of manual! ;)

Rafael Macia
24-Jun-2007, 18:12
Thanks for your reply!
By the way I was already thinking on making a hand-made lensboard for my Technar 45 to use with 250mm lens :) a have a very talented man, who can do it, but now I think it's better to buy a new one.

By the way Gaoersi doesn't posess 250mm lens, am I right? There for Fotoman may be even better for me!

Irina,
I own a Technar with 58/90/ and 135 Apo Symmar. Your idea to put a 250 lens on a Technar, would not be a difficult thing to do. The lens cone would be long but the Technar boards are simple to attach and remove.
The other cameras would be a step back if you are used to using a Technar. (Linhof is like Mercedes....)

Any Kardan board will fit the Technar. Your machinist, (Russians are, (I think) )among the world's greatest machinists.
Get your man to fit a tube that puts the 250 at infinity away from the film plane
A Nikon 270 Ed is cheap and great. Fuji makes great small telephotos, in 0 or 1 shuters. Put that into a focusing mount. the focus mount may be difficult to find. The Chinese sell them on ebay. I have been to the camera manufacturers in Shanghai, and the stores there, and all I will say from experience ** PROCEED with CAUTION with Chinese goods.
PM me if you need help. I sold a dealer a Technar board a recently. It still may be there.

Rafael