PDA

View Full Version : zoom panoramic viewfinders?

Nick
27-Feb-2007, 15:12
Hello all,

First, apologies this is not directly a LF question. I do shoot 4x5, but this isn't exactly related to that. If this in inappropriate, please let me know. I just figure there's a lot of wide format guys here though, so here goes...

I am looking for some sort of zoom panoramic viewfinder that could range from wide to light tele. 6x17 format. I have been shooting a lot of rear-standard shifting pano's with my 5D, a zoerk adaptor, and Pentax 645 lenses. This gives me very similar dimensions to a 6x17 image. Unfortunately however all images need to be visualized, as at no point can I see the entire image until photoshop comes into play.

To enhance the blasphemy of shooting my digital 35mm/645 contrivance I am also frequently using a zoom lens, the quite good and compact Pentax 55-110/5.6.

Any ideas on a finder to use for this rig? I've found the linhof but it's out of my budget. Also, I could use the Fotoman viewfinder but I'd need a gaggle of masks which doesn't sound too useful.

Thanks for any thoughts. I guess one is to just go buy a 4x10 instead :D

Ted Harris
27-Feb-2007, 18:21
You could also try a director's viewfinder that has variable aspect ratios. None will give you exactly 6x17 bot some will come close.

Greg Lockrey
27-Feb-2007, 19:51
Try Gaoersi at http://www.gaoersi-camera.com/htm.php?nowmenuid=3301 They have different size zoom panoramic viewfinders for about $90. Fotoman may have the same thing at Badger Graphics.

Paul Droluk
28-Feb-2007, 08:00
Try Gaoersi at http://www.gaoersi-camera.com/htm.php?nowmenuid=3301 They have different size zoom panoramic viewfinders for about $90. Fotoman may have the same thing at Badger Graphics.

Actually we're embarressed to say that in fact we USED to use the same exact finder that Gaoersi currently uses (in the earliest of our offerings), but abandoned it as soon as we developed our own high quality finder. Once we developed our own, we implimented a trade up program at our actual build cost. I think we still have a couple of boxes of the old Gaoersi ones stored away... anybody want one for $60? BTW, the trade up program is in effect indefinately (for Fotoman customers).

Greg Lockrey
28-Feb-2007, 08:47
That's real good to know. Thanks.