PDA

View Full Version : Jobo CPP-2 Back in Production?

Scott Squires
26-Feb-2007, 14:57
I just talked to Jobo Customer Service in MD (410-374-3250) and asked about a brochure for the Jobo CPP-2. I found a nice CPP-2 a month ago and was trying to locate a brochure. She said Jobo had stopped all production of processors 6 months ago which we were aware of, but Jobo may have found that there is an increase in demand for their products.

Six weeks ago Jobo started producing the CPP-2 again. She said they just had 15 units delivered. No brochure, but good news!

Scott
www.scottsquires.com

Eduardo Aigner
26-Feb-2007, 17:09
This is really good news!

AlaBill
26-Feb-2007, 17:55
Scott,

Great piece of information. I'm just getting back into large format, from digital only for 4-5 years, and this is very helpful. I'm calling tomorrow.

thanks,

Bill

John Bowen
26-Feb-2007, 18:47
That's great news. Now, if they would just manufacture those drum inserts so we could process 7x17 film in a 3063 drum.....

Brian K
26-Feb-2007, 19:25
That's good news although I already hedged my bets by buying another new CPP-2 last year and mothballing it in case my current one croaks on me. At the very least it shows that Jobo has made the analysis and have decided that there's still some life in film.

roteague
26-Feb-2007, 21:56
Scott,

Great piece of information. I'm just getting back into large format, from digital only for 4-5 years, and this is very helpful. I'm calling tomorrow.

thanks,

Bill

Let us know what you find out.

AlaBill
27-Feb-2007, 08:30
I talked to customer service this morning about the Jobo processors.

She said that Jobo Germany had made the decision to start back production slowly of the Jobo processor and that they were starting with the CPP-2. She said that their company (Omega Satter) was the US distributor and that to purchase one you would have to talk to a Omega Satter dealer.

To find a dealer check the dealer locater on their website http://omegasatter.com

I haven't checked with my dealer yet but I will later today when I get a chance.
I forgot to ask her about drums, reals, etc., but I will when I talk to the dealer.

Bill

steve simmons
27-Feb-2007, 10:29
There are 12 in stock in the US and that will probably be it. Parts will be made available for repairs for the next 7 years.. Dealers will be Samy's, B&H, Calumet, Adorama, and maybe a couple of more.

steve simmons

AlaBill
27-Feb-2007, 12:01
Steve...

Thanks for the information.

tgtaylor
27-Feb-2007, 22:25
Well, to pass along possible rumors, I purchased a CPA2 new from Keeble & Schuchat Photography in Palo Alto last fall and the salesman there told me that Jobo was going to outsource production of the processors to a third party which would result in a price increase. Has anyone heard anything about the price of the new units??

Capocheny
28-Feb-2007, 16:07
Peggy Beverly from OmegaSatter just sent me a note regarding the price of the CPP-2 (#J4080):

US$1995.00

They have them in stock! :)

Cheers

John Bowen
28-Feb-2007, 17:56
There are 12 in stock in the US and that will probably be it. Parts will be made available for repairs for the next 7 years.. Dealers will be Samy's, B&H, Calumet, Adorama, and maybe a couple of more.

steve simmons

How many dealers do you need to sell 12 items?

roteague
28-Feb-2007, 18:00
US$1995.00

They have them in stock! :)

Cheers

Trouble is, I don't have the cash in stock!! :(

Capocheny
28-Feb-2007, 18:42
Trouble is, I don't have the cash in stock!! :(

Hi Rob,

Sadly, I'm in the same boat as you are now that I'm the proud owner of a new 110XL! :)

Remember though... that's the Suggested Retail price although I don't think they'll sell for much less than $1,995.00 due to the increasing demand for this unit. :>8

Cheers

tgtaylor
28-Feb-2007, 21:55
How many dealers do you need to sell 12 items?

Last fall in October, a used CPE-2 was going for $1200USD on ebay. I gave up trying to get a good used CPA-2 or CPP-2 and bought the last new one from a local store.

Carlos R Herrera
1-Mar-2007, 01:45
For those looking for a used CPA2/CPP2...don't give up.

I finally grabbed a used CPA2 upgraded with the latest motor for $240 (no lift). Superb condition. Looks new. I bought a new LIFT and the combo is perfection. Easily the best deal I ever made on eBay. Can't understand why nobody outbid me. Good things come to those that wait. Same guy was selling some Zone VI stuff for giveaway prices.

Just look out for the serial #.

There were a bunch recently that had pre 22000 serial numbers going for big cash. Some probably had suspect motors because the owners were using Expert drums on the lower powered pre 22000 units...like the one Quality Camera was selling/sold even after putting into their description that the unit would handle Expert drums. The serial # was somewhere in the 12000s if memory serves. I think that dates that one back to the early nineties at best. I asked about it. Glad I didn't bid on it.

Don't give up, eventually you might "steal" one.

I don't see Samys reliably selling JOBO stuff in the future. Most of the wet darkroom stock is now in the used outlet store on Fairfax in LA. They want NEW prices on used stuff.

A CPE-2 for $1200?? Must be a typo.

CH

Ole Tjugen
1-Mar-2007, 02:39
Last fall in October, a used CPE-2 was going for $1200USD on ebay. I gave up trying to get a good used CPA-2 or CPP-2 and bought the last new one from a local store.

A year earlier, I paid about one tenth of that - including shipping from Germany to Norway.

I cleaned it, filled it up, turned it on, and developed my first E6 with no hitches or glitches. :)

Greg Lockrey
1-Mar-2007, 02:46
The price they ask is as if it had "rocket science technology" when all it is hot fish tank with a roller.:D

Ole Tjugen
1-Mar-2007, 03:03
The price they ask is as if it had "rocket science technology" when all it is hot fish tank with a roller.:D

From that perspective a rocket is a cylinder filled with slow explosive, with a pointy bit on the top and an opening in the bottom. :p

Greg Lockrey
1-Mar-2007, 03:49
From that perspective a rocket is a cylinder filled with slow explosive, with a pointy bit on the top and an opening in the bottom. :p

:D :D :D Good come back, Ole.

roteague
1-Mar-2007, 10:32

Jobo is a great machine, I used to have one, and hope to have another one day. But, I suspect there probably isn't more than $30 worth of parts in one.

Greg Lockrey
1-Mar-2007, 15:07
Jobo is a great machine, I used to have one, and hope to have another one day. But, I suspect there probably isn't more than $30 worth of parts in one.

BINGO!

Oren Grad
1-Mar-2007, 15:28
BINGO!

Ummm, not. I had this discussion with Sam Proud of Jobo once, specifically in relation to the Expert drums, but I'm sure it applies equally to the processors. The basic problem is that the molds that are needed to make the non-generic parts are very expensive relative to the number of units of product that get sold. Much of the retail price goes to pay for this capital equipment and for the distribution and support system, not for the raw plastic or other generic inputs.

Greg Lockrey
1-Mar-2007, 15:52
I know ....it's supply and demand. There just aren't enough buyers of the product to get the price down like automobiles. Put the title "Photographic" on it and boost another 50% in price.

David Karp
1-Mar-2007, 19:53
The basic problem is that the molds that are needed to make the non-generic parts are very expensive relative to the number of units of product that get sold. Much of the retail price goes to pay for this capital equipment and for the distribution and support system, not for the raw plastic or other generic inputs.

Absolutely. If you have ever been involved in having an injection molding tool made to create a unique product or unique components, it is hard to believe how much it costs. The tool itself is expensive. Then, when you make the parts, you have to run a lot of them, or the per unit cost skyrockets. If you have a low volume item, then you have to recover the cost of running fewer units in the price. If you run a lot of parts, then you have to cover the cost of maintaining a large inventory of relatively slow moving parts. No matter how you cut it, if the sales volume of the finished product is low, then the part cost will be high and the only choice you have is to charge a high price for the final product.

On the other hand, it is true that camera stores often sell things like clamps and other hardware items that are available for a low price at Home Depot or other outlets. The only difference is the place where they are sold and the target market. That is a lot different than Jobo's situation, where the potential market for something like a CPP-2 or similar processor was always pretty small.