PDA

View Full Version : D.I.Y dip n' dunk tanks

Benito
25-Feb-2007, 02:18
I'm looking at making my own water-jacketed dip and dunk tanks. The improbability of coming across stainless steel containers of the right dimensions means I'll probably have to use plastic. I guess one good thing about plastic is that it's cheap, and there's a huge range of shapes, sizes and compositions available.

Which types of plastic are the most suitable in terms of their ability to withstand and not contaminate photo chemistry?

Would any D.I.Yers like to share anything else of their valuable experiences?

Cheers!

erie patsellis
25-Feb-2007, 03:42
what format? for 4x5 (and possibly 5x7), I"m pretty sure that you can find something off the shelf at walmart or any kitchen store that works just fine.

erie

Neal Wydra
25-Feb-2007, 06:15
Dear Benito,

www.mcmaster.com offers lots of materials. I would suggest using PVC sheets because they're cheap, easy to cut and easy to bond. If you live in or near a major metropolitan area, watch ebay and craig'slist for a while. I've seen tanks come up and most of them are "pickup only". They usually go quite inexpensively.

Neal Wydra

Henry Ambrose
25-Feb-2007, 06:17
Or simply buy plastic tanks made for 4x5 film.
They're about $15.00 each which is probably cheaper than you can make them.
I think Cesco makes them.

I've made vertical paper processing tanks from acrylic plastic. Its fairly easy to work with power woodworking tools and simply glues together with appropriate glue. (it will chip when cutting so wear safety glasses or a face shield) Ask about the glue where you buy the plastic.

vann webb
25-Feb-2007, 18:00
polyethelene has excellent chemical resistance and is inexpensive. Many containers are made of HDPE, which stands for high density polyethelene.

John Cahill
25-Feb-2007, 19:59
Benito,
Check out your local West Marine or Boat Supply. I found that marine battery holders make very good tanks and are acid proof. Not too expensive, right shape and size for 5x7. Dunno how I would go about water jacketing them, though.

KOG
25-Feb-2007, 20:40
What size are you looking for?

For roll film, 4x5 and 5x7 sheet film, you can use stainless steel bain maries found at restaurent supply companies. A 1.5 gallon bain marie measures about 8" diameter and 8.5" deep. Good enough to develop 4 35mm or several 4x5 or 5x7 sheets placed in tubes (4x5 hangers also work). You can also get SS lids to fit them.

Kevin.

poco
26-Feb-2007, 05:19
A low-tech solution:

Go to Sams and buy some of their frozen cream puffs. Eat the cream puffs and you're left with a plastic container that holds roughly a gallon of liquid, is flat bottomed and stable, has a re-sealable lid and a perfect size opening to catch the rails of a maximum of 11 4x5 film hangers. Yes, that's a lot of chemistry, but top-off & replenish after use and you can put the top on with no airspace and it'll keep for a long while. I've held every kind of soup in these tubs, including color fixes and bleaches and they work just fine. The mini cream puffs are just so-so.

Benito
26-Feb-2007, 16:14
Thanks for your advice everyone - some great ideas there.

I'm in South Australia, so the outlets mentioned are not an option. (FYI it's not just the names that are different - retail in Australia in NOTHING like I've experienced in the USA.) I'll have a hunt around for some solutions like that next time we're 'in town' (I'm 1000 km from the nearest reasonable size city).

The LF market over here is very small, and getting more specific gear like this (ie. not home-made) is virtually impossible. Getting things sent through the post from the US or UK is one option, but two 4x5 tanks worth $15 could easily cost $50 postage. I'm sure it would be worth it to get the real thing, but it hurts to pay that much freight on a couple of bits of plastic!

Thanks again everyone - If I end up 'MacGyvering' something worth sharing I'll post some pics.

Cheers!

Alan Rabe
26-Feb-2007, 20:27
try www.usplastic.com. They have a very large selection of tanks of all sizes as well as sheets of just about any plastic as well as adhesives.

Michael Rosenberg
27-Feb-2007, 03:08
Benito,

Try looking for PVC sheeting to cut and make a tank. Many plastics fabrication places have it. You can cut it with a table saw. If you go to the LF home page there is an article on making a sink with instructions on how to cut and glue the PVC. You can make a jacketed tank - double walled, as well as light-tight lids. If you don't have the equipment to cut the PVC the plastics place may cut it for you to your specifications.

Mike

John Cahill
7-Mar-2007, 21:56
Benito,
You are, indeed, batting a sticky wicket. In light of your predicament, you might try building the tanks with plywood, square cut, well glued and screwed. Then pain the inside with several coats of fiberglass paint.
Another inelegant, but highly workable solution, will be old automobile batteries. If you cut the tops off and remove the innards, they are quite useable as darkroom tanks. Be warned: be careful of residual acid--washing them out well with plenty of water then baking soda is an help. And they are tough to cut into. But once done, they are practically indestructable.
Good luck.

John "Rube Goldberg, Heath Robinson, Cahill" Mount Vernon, Virginia, USA

Brian C. Miller
7-Mar-2007, 22:20
Benito, are you handy with Fiberglas? You should be able to make your own mold, then make your own tanks like that. Use a good epoxy resin, and it will be chemical resistant.

steve_geo
17-Mar-2007, 23:46
I'm in South Australia, so the outlets mentioned are not an option. (FYI it's not just the names that are different - retail in Australia in NOTHING like I've experienced in the USA.)
Cheers!
G'day Benito,
Never been to the US, .... but I know what you mean by limited selection in Oz.
You may find something interesting in plastic plumbing, they have store in SA, .. but not sure where http://www.plasticplumbing.com.au

You many also consider howards storage, .. they may have some tubs http://www.hsw.com.au

http://www.clarkrubber.com.au may not be the best place, .. more foams and rubbers, but thought I'd drop that one in ;-)

Thanks again everyone - If I end up 'MacGyvering' something worth sharing I'll post some pics.
Cheers!
look forward to seeing what your get up to.

What processing are you doing B&W ?
What do you photograph?
What equipment are you using?

Steve (Melbourne)

steve_geo
18-Mar-2007, 00:03
Just stumbled over this site for an ACT photo
http://www.robgray.com/about/about_equipment/equip_lf.php

Look down in the darkroom section, he has description on making his own 4x5 dip an dunk. Maybe you can contact him, and see what containers he used.

C'ya
Steve

Richard Ide
18-Mar-2007, 07:16
Some of my stainless tanks leak so I am making replacements using 1/4" acrylic. PVC or Lexan would also work well