PDA

View Full Version : Graflock to 35mm mount?

Songyun
22-Feb-2007, 09:00
Is there a product that can mount a Nikon camera(F mount) to graflock back?

Vick Vickery
22-Feb-2007, 09:15
I made my own out of an old Practica 35mm in good working condition, a spare lensboard to fit my Cambo (front and back both use the same light-trap configuration on the board and lock on the same way) by glueing in a short section of extention tube that I had lying around to let me screw the camera in place. Works fine, but remember that you're only gonna be able to use long (for 35mm) lenses due to bellows limitations on your view camera. It DOES make a good center-weighted TTL meter for the view camera, though!

Ernest Purdum
22-Feb-2007, 10:00
I don't know of any commercially made, but I saw one on eBay very recently. It might still be available, search Graflok and all the spelling variations you can think of (Graphlock, etc.).

As Vick Vickery says it is not very hard to make one. A film pack adapter, useless for anything much else, might be as startimg point.

Songyun
22-Feb-2007, 13:42
Thanks. I will use it for close-up.

Jim Jones
22-Feb-2007, 16:13
The 35mm Nikon F back for my 5x7 is made from a T-mount and a panel that replaces the whole back. This might be an easier approach than an adaptor for a Graflok back if your camera is larger than 6x9.

jnantz
22-Feb-2007, 17:36
i used to use a recomar kodachrome adaper.
i bought it years ago from glennview and he fabricated
a graflock board ( so i could attach it to my graflok back cameras )
from time to time they show up on ebay, and places like pacific rim camera.

they look like a 35mm camera back, except they have a hole where the lens would
normally be, and they have a funky ground glass thingy.
if you can find one, they work great!

john

Songyun
22-Feb-2007, 17:59
what is a T-mount? can anyone show me some photos? I am using Discovery now, I think a discovery lensboard with F-mount will work, not necessary graflock.

rob
22-Feb-2007, 19:32
Buy an ugly, cheap graflex 2x3 back for 4x5, and discard all the roll film parts. You should be able to adapt the graflok plate to mount your nikon f.

Dan Fromm
23-Feb-2007, 05:00
Buy an ugly, cheap graflex 2x3 back for 4x5, and discard all the roll film parts. You should be able to adapt the graflok plate to mount your nikon f.Rob, a film pack adapter as was suggested earlier in this thread would be a much less expensive starting point.

Jim Jones
23-Feb-2007, 06:49
what is a T-mount? can anyone show me some photos? I am using Discovery now, I think a discovery lensboard with F-mount will work, not necessary graflock.

Some lenses were made for T-Mount adaptors which permitted one lens to be used on many different types of cameras. A google search will lead to more information than I can give here. One link for a somewhat specialized use of the T-mount is http://www.fli-cam.com/FLIsupport/tmount.htm

Dan Fromm
23-Feb-2007, 08:55
what is a T-mount? can anyone show me some photos? I am using Discovery now, I think a discovery lensboard with F-mount will work, not necessary graflock.The link Jim provided doesn't give a good enough explanation of T-mount specifications.

Lenses in T-mount are threaded M42x0.75 at the rear, as the link indicates and their flange-to-film distance is 55 mm. This is usefully larger than all 35 mm SLRs' flange-to-film distance. So a T-mount adapter for an SLR has a male SLR mount at the rear, is threaded female M42x0.75 at the front, and is (55 mm - SLR's flange-to-film distance) thick. If the lens is collimated properly, the adapter is the right thickness, and the camera body's flange to film distance is to specification, then a T-mount lens plus adapter will be collimated to the body.

If you can make a flat plate that will attach to your camera's Graflok back, then drill a hole ~ 42 mm in it, centered on the camera's gate, and glue a T-mount-to-Nikon adapter to the plate over the hole. Most of the T-mount adapters sold are in fact T-2 adapters. These differ from the original T-mount in having an inner section, retained by three set screws, that can be rotated to orient the camera when the set screws are backed out a little. I have both types, T-2 is much more convenient.

I don't understand how you can attach a lensboard to the back of a Discovery.

Gordon Moat
23-Feb-2007, 13:10
http://cgi.ebay.com/Moveable-Camera-Adapter-For-Nikon-Camera-To-4x5-Camera_W0QQitemZ220083887933QQihZ012QQcategoryZ15215QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is a moveable adapter for Nikon mount to fit on International back of a 4x5 camera. This is only one such listing on EBAY, and I have no connection to the seller. Seems several sellers have these, and they might actually be sourced from the same location. I have no idea on quality.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio (http://www.allgstudio.com)

Songyun
24-Feb-2007, 00:58
The link Jim provided doesn't give a good enough explanation of T-mount specifications.

Lenses in T-mount are threaded M42x0.75 at the rear, as the link indicates and their flange-to-film distance is 55 mm. This is usefully larger than all 35 mm SLRs' flange-to-film distance. So a T-mount adapter for an SLR has a male SLR mount at the rear, is threaded female M42x0.75 at the front, and is (55 mm - SLR's flange-to-film distance) thick. If the lens is collimated properly, the adapter is the right thickness, and the camera body's flange to film distance is to specification, then a T-mount lens plus adapter will be collimated to the body.

If you can make a flat plate that will attach to your camera's Graflok back, then drill a hole ~ 42 mm in it, centered on the camera's gate, and glue a T-mount-to-Nikon adapter to the plate over the hole. Most of the T-mount adapters sold are in fact T-2 adapters. These differ from the original T-mount in having an inner section, retained by three set screws, that can be rotated to orient the camera when the set screws are backed out a little. I have both types, T-2 is much more convenient.

I don't understand how you can attach a lensboard to the back of a Discovery.

On the back frame, instead of attaching a ground glass, I can attach a lensboard, and drill a hole on it and glue a t mount on it.

Songyun
24-Feb-2007, 17:43
Thanks, I found the same item on a Chinese forum. It is a stitch back. but no geared movement. I may have a try.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Moveable-Camera-Adapter-For-Nikon-Camera-To-4x5-Camera_W0QQitemZ220083887933QQihZ012QQcategoryZ15215QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is a moveable adapter for Nikon mount to fit on International back of a 4x5 camera. This is only one such listing on EBAY, and I have no connection to the seller. Seems several sellers have these, and they might actually be sourced from the same location. I have no idea on quality.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio (http://www.allgstudio.com)