PDA

View Full Version : Tent for hunting with a camera gun WANTED

Irina
22-Feb-2007, 05:02
Please give me an advise where to buy a decent tent for hunting with a camera gun? I'm going to make pictures of sea-eagles, they are very clever birds and I must be imperceptible! I need a decent tent, preferable 4-season (for winter). It would be great to bye new or used!

Greg Lockrey
22-Feb-2007, 05:27
Cabaela's or Gander Mountian.

Irina
22-Feb-2007, 08:08
Cabaela's or Gander Mountian.

But I suppose tents for photo deffer from usual hunting tents? How do you think?

Irina
22-Feb-2007, 08:10
Cabaela's.

Do you know their web-site?

photographs42
22-Feb-2007, 08:14
It's Cabela's
http://www.cabelas.com/home.jsp;jsessionid=0MXTYVGZC5KBOCWQNWRCCOAK0BW0GIWE?_requestid=17041
Jerome

John Kasaian
22-Feb-2007, 08:28
If you want a blind, Cabela's and Gander Montain should have a good selection or you could construct one on sight with native materials. Another option might be a ghillie suit (the things are downright creepy!)---most good surplus stores have them in stock

Barry Wilkinson
22-Feb-2007, 08:40
Have a look at...

http://www.wildlifewatchingsupplies.co.uk/

Barry

brook
22-Feb-2007, 08:51
If you are shooting up with 35mm or similar gear look for a blind designed for hunting ducks or geese with openings for shooting up. If you are shooting in a more horizontal way, the Ameristep Doghouse works pretty good, probably on sale now for about 50-100$. Some of the blinds designed for bowhunting deer have a black carbon lining to prevent smell and to kill shadows inside the house, you can wear a black ninja type suit in one of these and not be seen moving.

Jack Flesher
22-Feb-2007, 08:51
I have one of the original Cabellas 2-person blinds I only used once. I would sell it for $50, though depending where you are located, shipping could be an issue.

Irina
22-Feb-2007, 09:20
If you are shooting up with 35mm or similar gear look for a blind designed for hunting ducks or geese with openings for shooting up. If you are shooting in a more horizontal way, the Ameristep Doghouse works pretty good, probably on sale now for about 50-100$. Some of the blinds designed for bowhunting deer have a black carbon lining to prevent smell and to kill shadows inside the house, you can wear a black ninja type suit in one of these and not be seen moving.

I will be shooting with Nikkor 200-400mm or 600mm, I think sitting on the chair, because it will be from mornng till night in this tent!

Irina
22-Feb-2007, 09:28
I have one of the original Cabellas 2-person blinds I only used once. I would sell it for $50, though depending where you are located, shipping could be an issue.

Please tell me will it suit cold winter weather (about -20 or - 30 C)? How many holes does it have? If it's picture is on the site, please, could you give me a link on the photo? If I like it, I will bye yours!

naturephoto1
22-Feb-2007, 09:29
LL Rue sells some of the best blinds for animal photography- The Rue Ultimate Photo Blind. They may be a bit more expensive than some but are quite flexible and quick to set-up. Here is the link:

http://www.rue.com/equip.html

Rue use to sell a chair for use in the blind (I have one of these) but they seem to not carry them anymore.

Rich

Irina
22-Feb-2007, 10:03
LL Rue sells some of the best blinds for animal photography- The Rue Ultimate Photo Blind. They may be a bit more expensive than some but are quite flexible and quick to set-up. Here is the link:

http://www.rue.com/equip.html

Rue use to sell a chair for use in the blind (I have one of these) but they seem to not carry them anymore.

Rich

are these blinds good for winter weather? winter there is very cold!

naturephoto1
22-Feb-2007, 10:11
I do not really think that any blind will be particularly warm or wind free in the temperatures that you are suggesting particularly with the number of snoots and openings. On the other hand the extreme temperatures you are suggesting will be more taxing on you and the camera, lenses, and batteries.

Rich

brook
22-Feb-2007, 16:27
The blinds do warm up nicly in the sun, and keep the wind at bay to a degree. Small propane heaters used in icefishing houses would be nice early and late in the day. I like a wool suit and/or a serious down jacket and bibs. Wearing 2 hats at once helps too. It could only be worse if you were sitting in an uncomfortable tree stand all day instead of a blind.

John Kasaian
22-Feb-2007, 17:02
Polypropolyene long underwear!, electric socks, a big thermos of hot chocolate with a few jiggers of brandy or creme de menthe!

Jack Flesher
22-Feb-2007, 17:20
Please tell me will it suit cold winter weather (about -20 or - 30 C)? How many holes does it have? If it's picture is on the site, please, could you give me a link on the photo? If I like it, I will bye yours!

It looks just like the LLRue version linked to below. None of these have floors, so wind can sneak in under the base and through the windows -- but they are warmer than no tent at all. Windows can be closed and I guess snow could be piled along the bottom edge to limit cold air flow.

Ted Harris
22-Feb-2007, 17:41
Irina, with all due respect Rich hit the nail on the head. If you are not experienced with these sorts of temperatures ... keep in mind wind chill could easily take it down another 5-10 degrees you likely to miserable at the least and (seriously) dead at the worst. You are talking about temperatures where frostbite becomes a problem after 5 mionutes or less and where batteries die nearly instantly, etc. You are going to have to search and be sure you have clothing rated for these sorts of severe conditions nottomention you will want to have yoru lenses and shutters serviced by a very competent technician who will remove the regular lubricants and replace them with ones mproe attuned to these conditions.

I shoot in very severe conditions all the time but the warmest parka I own is legitimatly rated to -30 C (if money counts this parka cost over $350 some 25 years ago). I seldom try to shoot in anything colder than -15 ... just can't stay out long enough and it is flat out too hard.

If this sort of thing is all old hat to you please excuse .... if not then please reconsider.

Steven Barall
23-Feb-2007, 10:38
Tents lined with carbon?? That's just plain scary. Maybe I could get a dark cloth lined with carbon because my pictures stink.

eddie
24-Feb-2007, 16:03
Irina, with all due respect Rich hit the nail on the head. If you are not experienced with these sorts of temperatures ... keep in mind wind chill could easily take it down another 5-10 degrees you likely to miserable at the least and (seriously) dead at the worst. You are talking about temperatures where frostbite becomes a problem after 5 mionutes or less and where batteries die nearly instantly, etc. You are going to have to search and be sure you have clothing rated for these sorts of severe conditions nottomention you will want to have yoru lenses and shutters serviced by a very competent technician who will remove the regular lubricants and replace them with ones mproe attuned to these conditions.

I shoot in very severe conditions all the time but the warmest parka I own is legitimatly rated to -30 C (if money counts this parka cost over $350 some 25 years ago). I seldom try to shoot in anything colder than -15 ... just can't stay out long enough and it is flat out too hard.

If this sort of thing is all old hat to you please excuse .... if not then please reconsider.

shooting my large format rig i can go to about -10C. if i was shooting 35mm film i could go about -20C. it all depends on what i am shooting and how i am moving. try those temps just out walking around and see how you do. then try it sitting in one place for 1 hour. a tent should make it a bit warmer....but at the temps you are talking about and the times you are talking i do not think it matters. you will be cold. go ice fishing with somebody once. it is about he same thing except the ice fisherman bring fires and heaters with them!

you should be able to get a blind or a tent to do what you want at the above mentioned stores.

let us know what your experience is like.

eddie

GPS
24-Feb-2007, 16:47
There are other issues than just the cold. If the blind is relatively closed, the condense from your breath will inevitably cover whatever camera system you have inside - the tripod, the lens, metal parts etc. If you want to breath inside for a day you will encounter this problem.
Each winter I sleep for some individual nights in nature, on snow, with no tent, no sleeping bag (Norwegian army style), at high altitudes, -12°C is no problem. In the morning I take pictures but the equipment is never inside a tent. It seems to me that you would need a double room blind but even so the condense problem will be serious.

brook
24-Feb-2007, 17:50
The hunting type blinds tend to have enough windows to see/shoot out of that condensation isnt a problem in practice.

Sleeping on snow with no sleeping bag? Ouch!

GPS
25-Feb-2007, 03:59
The hunting type blinds tend to have enough windows to see/shoot out of that condensation isn't a problem in practice.

A nice try but I'm afraid it's just wish thinking. Before your breath has the chance to escape through the nice windows it will already freeze on the midway, i.e. on the most thermally conductive surface (the metal parts of you camera) it finds. In fact at those extreme temperatures even you eyebrows catch the condense before it had time to escape.
The best solution would be to have the blind heated (gas heaters?).