PDA

View Full Version : Off to Yosemite in the morning!

Vaughn
20-Feb-2007, 23:54
Looks like stormy weather -- snow and temps down to single digits...but nicer on the weekend itself. I've loaded up 14 8x10 holders along with some extra film.

See ya!

Vaughn

John Kasaian
21-Feb-2007, 02:13
Thanks for the heads up! They need some new snow up there!

Keith S. Walklet
21-Feb-2007, 13:46
Vaughn,

One needs little encouragement to head off to Yosemite this time of year, but you failed to mention part of your motivation.

Yosemite Renaissance XXII, an annual art competition and exhibit, opens Friday, February 23 in the Yosemite Museum Gallery (adjacent to the Valley Visitor Center) with a gala reception for the artists from 5:30 to 7:30 P.M. I understand you have some work in the exhibit. Congrats!

Darin Boville
21-Feb-2007, 17:26
Vaughn,

One needs little encouragement to head off to Yosemite this time of year, but you failed to mention part of your motivation.

Yosemite Renaissance XXII, an annual art competition and exhibit, opens Friday, February 23 in the Yosemite Museum Gallery (adjacent to the Valley Visitor Center) with a gala reception for the artists from 5:30 to 7:30 P.M. I understand you have some work in the exhibit. Congrats!

Hey, cool. I arrive on Saturday. I'll miss the recpetion but look forward to the show.

--Darin

Hugh Sakols
21-Feb-2007, 19:07
Thanks for the reminder. I hope to be their on friday night. I hope the white stuff will make it to the valley floor. I'm thinking Fri AM could be the magic time - but who really knows???? Congrats to Vaughn!!!!

Jack Flesher
22-Feb-2007, 12:16
Just thought I'd offer a Thursday AM update: I am sitting in a cabin about 30 miles outside Yosemite on highway 120. The cabin is only at the 2500 foot elevation mark, yet snowflakes the size of siver dollars are falling and sticking. Should be an awesome weekend in the park!

ageorge
22-Feb-2007, 13:10
Just thought I'd offer a Thursday AM update: I am sitting in a cabin about 30 miles outside Yosemite on highway 120. The cabin is only at the 2500 foot elevation mark, yet snowflakes the size of siver dollars are falling and sticking. Should be an awesome weekend in the park!

Bastard;)

naturephoto1
22-Feb-2007, 13:25
Bastard;)

I didn't know that Jack was illegitimate. ;) :eek:

Rich

roteague
22-Feb-2007, 13:28

It is sunny, and 75° here. We did have a short rain shower, but it has moved on. Should be good day for the beach. :p

David Karp
22-Feb-2007, 13:37

Awesome. I wish I was there!

John Kasaian
22-Feb-2007, 14:18
I won't be there---
I've got a funeral to attend this week end---my 6th grade teacher passed away and what a paradox---he spent his summers as a ranger in Yosemite. I still remember being kept spell-bound by his stories back at Ruth Gibson Elementary.

Keith S. Walklet
22-Feb-2007, 16:03
Well, it is tradition that the Renaissance opening is always held in the midst of the biggest blizzard of the year. In fact, if I were to put my money on one day of the year that it would snow, it would be the day of the Renaissance reception. Enjoy and take a few for me...

Jack Flesher
22-Feb-2007, 21:18
Well after a few hour break, the snow is falling again (8:00 PM PST Thursday).

From this afternoon:

http://jack.cameraphile.org/albums/album08/pmlsnow.jpg

Vaughn
26-Feb-2007, 14:10
Back from the Mountains!

Arrived Wednesday afternoon to very pleasant warm weather -- took a photo or two before sunset.

Snow all day Wednesday -- walked aound with the Rollei. Thursday -- Great day of photographing, with some more snow at the tail end of the day. Friday, another nice day of photographing (but had to keep an eye out for snow constantly falling out of the trees.

Fun opening that Friday evening! I received a small award -- enough to pay for the show's entry fee as well as my gasoline and film and food for the trip! Ted Orland had a fine photo in the show, though over-all, the show is a little light on photographs this year -- some great paintings and other works!

Some more great photographing on Saturday, quickly disappearing snow. I left the Valley about 2 pm on Sunday while it was snowing (a little wetter than the first snowfall of the week). Hard place to leave! I exposed about 24 pieces of film -- it will be a couple weeks before I develop them all.

Vaughn

PS -- Hello Keith! I had a great host, great food, and a great time. Blackjacket did not arrive while I was there.

PSS -- LOTS of photographers in the Valley. The Word is that Horsetail Falls lit up for the gaggle of photographers ready for it -- and the the Rangers were busy writting parking tickets to those who parked in the road...and their radar guns out for those not wishing to be late for the event! Remember -- be alert, park safely and keep the speed down in the Park!