PDA

View Full Version : Sinar 10x8 on the way!

Paul Greeves
19-Feb-2007, 12:42
Hi. This is my first time in the forum and I'm looking forward to sharing and gaining lots of information on Large Format Photography. I've been using a Sinar 5x4 for some years with lots of success. Now, I feel the desire to move up a league to 10x8. I have a 10x8 camera on offer at a very good price. My first consern is how to process the film? I use Tmax 100 at moment and process using a Combi Plan tank, which is excellent for even processing. What would be a reliable method for 10x8 film. I would like to avoid a deep tank if possible. Does anyone have a method which works for them that they would like to share? Thanks.

Pat Kearns
19-Feb-2007, 14:50
Welcome Paul, happy shooting with your new 10x8. As far as processing the film, Jobo rotary processing, BTZS tubes, Unicolor & Beseler processing tanks and motor bases avoid the deep tank methods. Unicolor & Beseler tanks and motors are available on the online auction sites at reasonable prices. There is also the tray method. On the homepage there is an article on using a Unicolor processing tank.

Paul Greeves
19-Feb-2007, 15:04
Thanks Pat. I'll look into all of your suggestions. At the moment the tray method appeals the most. I did try this with 5x4 but got uneven development and scatches on the film. Could be down to using too small a tray? I'm not looking at processing lots of sheets at a time so trays my be worth another go. I'll check out ebay too for a second hand Jobo. At least with a rotary processor you require little chemistry. Has anyone had a positive experience with tray processing or tips for getting good results?

Paul Greeves
19-Feb-2007, 15:50
I've been doing some research. The Jobo rotary processors are going at an incredibly good price on the auction sites. Unfortunately, you require a Jobo Expert Sheet Film Drum to load 10x8 sheets. This cost nearly £300 in the UK. This may be the way to go but are there cheaper options open.

Gene McCluney
19-Feb-2007, 21:14
Tray processing of sheet film is a learned skill. I have better success with 8x10 than 4x5. It is good to use the right size tray. 8x10 tray for 8x10 film, as this keeps the film organized better. Always do a pre-developer water bath for tray processing of sheet film.

PViapiano
19-Feb-2007, 21:39
Tray processing of sheet film is a learned skill. I have better success with 8x10 than 4x5. It is good to use the right size tray. 8x10 tray for 8x10 film, as this keeps the film organized better. Always do a pre-developer water bath for tray processing of sheet film.

Actually, 8x10 trays are best for 4x5 and 11x14, I believe, are the best way to go for 8x10 negs.

The reason has to do with the high possibility of surge marks and other anomalies along the edge of the negs when they are in same-size trays.

Ken Lee
20-Feb-2007, 07:01
I like using these (http://www.kenleegallery.com/html/tech/index.html#SheetFilm)

John Kasaian
22-Feb-2007, 16:56
Welcome! I use a Unicolor processor. Check out the LF Homepage for an excellent article on souping sheet film in one.