PDA

View Full Version : dev. times 1:1 ---> 1:2 ---> 1:3

false_Aesthetic
17-Feb-2007, 12:07
Is there a way to calculate dev. time when going from a 1:1 solution to a 1:2?

i.e. If I'm developing Tri-X in Xtol 1:1 for 8'30" how do I calculate my dev. time for a 1:2 solution?

Thanks
T

SAShruby
17-Feb-2007, 12:13
Go to here (http://www.digitaltruth.com/) and click on "The Massive Dev Chart" link select your film and Xtol, you would get your times for 1:2 dilution.

Cheers,

false_Aesthetic
17-Feb-2007, 13:15
Hi,

I know about digital truth but my question was more about a "rule of thumb" existing.

I guess I should've been a bit more clear.

Thanks

T

Andy Eads
17-Feb-2007, 13:39

i.e. If I'm developing Tri-X in Xtol 1:1 for 8'30" how do I calculate my dev. time for a 1:2 solution?

Thanks
T

There is no good way to calculate the new time. When you change dilution you change the dynamics of the chemical reactions that occur. Because different films are constructed differently, the only sure-fire way to know is to run a test. Have fun!

Bruce Watson
17-Feb-2007, 15:32

Actually, there is. For continuous agitation, development time to reach the same density in the negative varies by the square root of dilution. So, if you have a five minute time for stock, and you dilute it 1:1, your new time is 5(sqrt(2)) = 7 minutes.

With intermittant agitation you can guess that doubling dilution also doubles the time. More or less. It depends on how you agitate, but this will put you in the ball park.

With stand development, all bets are off. Experiment and see.

false_Aesthetic
17-Feb-2007, 15:35
Sweet!

Thanks.

T