PDA

View Full Version : Orvis bag users (or the like), can u help?

Sam
16-Feb-2007, 20:44
I am in need of reducing the weight I carry because of an injury.

I came accross Ted Harris' article "bags bags bags" and the Orvis reel bag is appealing to me.

Currently I carry a Tachihara 4x5 three lenses, 6 holders, meter, 3 cokin filters, cokin holder, and other misc accessories(also a 35mm rangefinder) in a Lowpro Photo Trekker AWII. I would like a smaller bag to use and these reel bags may fit the bill.

Can I get the above equipment, minus the 35mm camera, in the Orivis reel bag?

Thanks
Sam

matthew blais
16-Feb-2007, 20:55
I keep two hassy bodies, two lenses (80/150), three backs and prism finder in my Orvis reel bag.

Also check out Cabela's.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0036834120770a&navCount=2&podId=0036834&parentId=cat600038&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat20166-cat600038&catalogCode=IH&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat600038&hasJS=true

Claude Sapp
16-Feb-2007, 21:31
I'd say tight fit. Attached is a pic of one of my Orvis bags with my 4x5 on top, and looks like there is room for a couple smaller lenses. The interior measures approx. 10x13x5.

Keith Pitman
16-Feb-2007, 21:49
I think all but the camera will fit. If you can carry the camera on the tripod on your shoulder, it'll work and would make a nice solution for shorter walks/hikes.

Sam
16-Feb-2007, 22:44
Claude thanks for the photo.

I will have to keep looking, I will need to store the camera in the bag.

Any other ideas?

Claude Sapp
16-Feb-2007, 23:35
Sam, maybe the answer is in a better pack. By better I don't necessarily mean quality, I am sure the Lowepro is well made, but better suited to carry weight. A load is easier to carry in a well designed backpack, mostly because of better suspension and padding, and greater adjustability in fit. I use Dana, Marmot, and Kelty packs, and the Dana packs are BY FAR easier to load and carry than the others. I can carry heavier loads for longer periods when I carry the load in my Dana packs. I have carried 75 lbs of winter camping/climbing gear for two weeks in a Dana pack, something I would never ever even think about doing with the Marmot or Kelty. After many configurations, I have found the best combination is Gnass Gear camera and lens bags in a Dana pack. The downside of my Danas is they are top loading, so for short hikes I might carry the Marmot or Kelty front loading packs I have just for the convenience and easy access of a panel loading pack.

So, maybe a different pack would help you carry the same gear more comfortably?

Mark Stahlke
17-Feb-2007, 00:43
Hi Sam,

In this picture (http://stahlke.us/images/Untitled-1.jpg) I have a Tachihara 4x5, 3 lenses (75/4.5, 125/5.6, 210/9), Adorama branded spot meter, quickload holder, loupe, a couple of round filters, a couple of ND grad filters, and minor odds and ends.

I use a ground glass protector I got from Badger Graphics for about 30 bucks. Imagine a piece of clear plastic bent into a "U" shape. It slips over the back and protects the GG on both sides.

I just tried it with six film holders instead of the quickload holder. I put the film holders in the bottom and then put the camera body on top of them. It's a pretty tight fit but I think it will work. If I was going to pack it that way I would look for a thin piece of padding to place between the holders and the camera.

Cheers,
Mark

Sam
17-Feb-2007, 00:56
Thanks guys.

I ordered the Orvis, for the price i figured that even if it does not work out, I can use it for something. I ll just have to see what of my gear I can get in the bag.

Mark you photo helped me a great deal.

Claude I photograph in mostly urban settings and while I have always read and certainly understand that a pack like those you mentioned are better I don't think it would fit my style of photography. At least not right now.

Thanks

Ted Harris
17-Feb-2007, 07:33
Sam,

Sorry I didn't get to this sooner and I hope the reel bag works for you. I have never tried one with a field camera and a fw lenses but may now fiddle. OTOH, the Orvis kit bag, while a bit larger, is perfect for yoru needs as you will see in my View Camera article.

For those that are interested, I have been collecting lots of ideas on yet more fishing and other bags from folks here and elsewhere and there will likely be an update to the "Bags" article in either the July-August or September-October issue.

Claude Sapp
17-Feb-2007, 08:55
Samuel, the bag was a good purchase, it is a great bag and you will use it for something. I have two, one filled with fly reels and the other filled with lenses.

In urban settings I recommend and Eddie Bauer soft sided briefcase. They unzip around the perimeter to expand about two inches, and will easily hold a camera, lenses, holders, misc..., and offer great utility. In fact, when I travel by air, I put my backpack in a larger duffle bag and check it, and pack my camera stuff in the Eddie Bauer soft briefcase and carry it on. Much cheaper than photo satchels like Domke.

Amund BLix Aaeng
18-Feb-2007, 15:03
I have two, one filled with fly reels and the other filled with lenses.

Ouch, sounds like you`re in for a surprise one day. I`d at least keep one spare lens in the fly reel bag. ;)

David Karp
18-Feb-2007, 21:39
I bought mine to use with LF, but ended up using it for my Mamiya 645 and most of its lenses and accessories. For hiking, I just dump the Orvis bag into my Redwing.

Allen
20-Feb-2007, 22:24
I bought the Orvis online, I liked it very much so I went down to my local fly fishing shop to get another one and saw the one made by Fishpond they call it the Stowaway Reel Case, I thought the Fishpond one is made better so I bought that one.

Marko
21-Feb-2007, 00:50
Does anybody have any experience with Cabela's Deluxe Gear Bag (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0036738318420a&navCount=3&podId=0036738&parentId=cat600027&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat20431-cat600027_TGP&catalogCode=7IS&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat600027&hasJS=true)?

It's currently on sale for only $24.99

wclavey
21-Feb-2007, 05:49
I did an informal survey of all the reel bags I could easily see in person or get a good visual inspection of on-line last November... I wanted something to replace an old bag I had from 25 years ago that would hold 2 Mamiya TLRs, plus lenses, prisms, light meter, etc. Most of the reel bags, while nicely configurable, were not large enough.

Then I found this reel case at Cabela's:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0036834120770a&navCount=4&podId=0036834&parentId=cat600038&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat20166-cat600038&catalogCode=IH&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat600038&hasJS=true

It comes in 3 sizes and I went with the largest for the complete Mamiya TLR kit and it would easily hold my 4x5, with lenses, light meter, dark cloth, filter case and at least 8 film holders (that's all I have... but room for more).

Fully loaded with the Mamiya kit, I would not want to carry it far... my strategy is to put this bag in the car and take it to where I am shooting, then transfer what I want for a session to my Domke bag or a small photo backpack. It eliminates deciding before I leave home what equipment to take (other than selecting the format: 35mm, 120 TLR, 120 SLR, or 4x5) and getting somewhere only to find that what I really need is 400 miles away. So I have 4 complete kits, ready to take. This strategy has worked well for several trips over the past few months.

I have not seen the Cabela's gear bag that Marko linked, but I wish I had... I could have used someting like that, as well, for one of my other kits.

Ted Harris
21-Feb-2007, 06:08
I tested the Cabela's Gear Bag as part of the "Bags, bags, bags" View Camera article. It was not my favorite but it is cheap and functional. Pluses: inexpensive, good size, lots of pockets. Minuses: zippers don't work as smoothly as I'd like, no padding at all. That said, I did slog it aroundon a couple of airplane trips and took it out in the woods a number of times. If you want adequate and inexpensive this is the way to go.

Ed Richards
21-Feb-2007, 07:26
One issue with the Orvis bag. I find that stuff falls out of the pockets in the lid. You might want to replace those with a mesh bag with a zipper that you sew in. I lost track of some lens caps stowed there, which must have hopped out while I was using it in the field.

Claude Sapp
21-Feb-2007, 08:22
Ed is right, I think the pockets in the lid are useless because stuff falls out when you flop the lid open. I thought about sewing a bit of velcro to keep the pocket closed, but have never gotten around to it. My only other complaint would be that the lid tends to bow out when you are carrying the case by the handle. Nothing has ever left its compartment inside, but a less flexible lid would make me more comfortable even though I use this bag for storage and not travel. Minor complaints though, like I said, I have and use two of these bags. And the 2 bags are different colors so one day I won't have to figure out how to focus and stop down a fly reel, or strip and cast an Artar.

naturephoto1
21-Feb-2007, 09:06
For those that are interested in something about the size of the Orvis Bag and similar cost, and are intending to carry the bag in a backpack and have no need of a shoulder strap an alternative may be the Kinesis Gear V092. This $63 bag is made of somewhat lighter outer fabric (because intended to be carried in a pack) probably has much more padding than the Reel cases. With 2 extra dividers, my case weighs about 17.2 oz. The posted cu in of the bag are incorrect on the websie; according to my calculations the bag has about 772 inner cu in of space. I need to borrow a digital camera to post the contents in my bag. Here is the link to the bag:

http://www.kgear.com/p/V092.html

I have the following loaded into my case:

Modified Toho Shimo FC-45X- broken in 2 pieces in separate compartments
Rodenstock f5.6 150mm Apo Sironar S MC on the camera bellows
Congo f6.3 90mm WA MC
Rodenstock f9 240mm Apo Ronar MC
Rodenstock f9 300mm Apo Ronar MC
Zone VI modified Sologor DigiSpot II meter
4 cable releases attatched to lenses
Horizon 4X Loupe in Bubble Wrap on top of Camera Rail
Prinz Hurricane Air Blower Bulb- on tope of Camera Rail
2 Way Bubble Level in Fuji 35mm Canister- on top of Camera Rail
BTZS Dark Cloth- on top of the Camera Rail
Cokin P Adapter Ring- above the 3 lenses
Singh-Ray LB P size Warming Circular Polarizer in Case on top of Cokin P Adapter Ring
Singh-Ray LB P Size Color Intensifier in Case on top of Circular Polarizer

I can also remove the Dark Cloth and put about 5 other Sing-Ray or Lee P size filters Grad type/size on top of the Camera Rail in their cases along with a Cokin P Holder.

Additionally, I can place my Notebook, Pen, Rodenstock/Linos Lens Wrench, Linhof DOF Card, Black
Cat Low Light Card, Microfiber cloth, and many extras in a zip lock bag on top of the contents in the bag.

Rich

Marko
21-Feb-2007, 10:10
I tested the Cabela's Gear Bag as part of the "Bags, bags, bags" View Camera article. It was not my favorite but it is cheap and functional. Pluses: inexpensive, good size, lots of pockets. Minuses: zippers don't work as smoothly as I'd like, no padding at all. That said, I did slog it aroundon a couple of airplane trips and took it out in the woods a number of times. If you want adequate and inexpensive this is the way to go.

Thanks, Ted. That's the kind of response I was hoping for. My problem is that neither Cabella nor Orvis have stores in my area, so I can't really see the bag in question. Comparing Ted's description with the one on the website there is an obvious discrepancy regarding padding of the main compartment:

Padding inside the main compartment protects reels, cameras and other items from bumps and dings.

But I think I am going to order it anyway, given the price.

On the other note, I would also appreciate an advice for a shoulder bag in which I want to carry the following for short walks away from the car (up to a mile or so):

- 4x5 Shen-Hao
- Two to three lenses on Linhof/Wista style boards, one of them could go on the Shen if need be
- 6-10 film holders
- Fuji QuickLoad holder and a box of film
- 2-3 Cokin Filter pouches (sqarish, similar in size to a smalish lens with a board)
- Spotmeter
- Lightmeter (both Minolta, similar size)
- Darkcloth
- Loupe
- Lots of small stuff such as flashlight, extra batteries and such.

Thanks in advance,

Marko

Sam
25-Feb-2007, 21:54
I received the Orvis bag and tried it out today.

I was able to pack three lenses, tachihara 4x5, 6 holders, meter, 3 filters and holder, and a t-shirt darkcolth (the harrison I use would not fit). I protected the GG with the long black foam piece that comes with the bag, and used dividers from another bag to arrange and secure everthing.

As mentioned by others, the pockets are useless, everything falls out of them. Perhaps some velcro will help with that.

I think the bag will work just fine for what I want it for. Walking trips or to carry in the truck. I would prefer my Lowepro for more protection when traveling, but the Orvis bag is hard to beat when lighter weight is needed.