PDA

View Full Version : Horseman FA with Horseman 6x9 lenses

ic-racer
16-Feb-2007, 13:55
I have a Horseman VH-R and all the lenses. I am looking to get a Horseman FA. Since the lensboards are the same 8cm square, and since some of the 6x9 lenses can cover 4x5 I wondered what people's experiences were with this setup. It seems the likely candidates for moderate wide angle use are the 90, 105 4.5 and 120. The 65 probably won't focus at infinity, is that correct?

Problem with the 4x5 converter for the VH-R is that I don't think you can use either the 65 or the 90.

Ted Harris
16-Feb-2007, 14:15
ARe all the focal lengths you mention Horsemanor Super Horseman lenses or ..... if you can be more specific we can be more helpful on coverage. Generally the Horseman lenses in the wider focal lengths won't cover bu tsome of the Super Horseman lenses will; many lenses from other manufacturers will cover easily.

ic-racer
16-Feb-2007, 14:42
Thanks for the reply. Actually it is not the covering power but the physical attachment of the lens to the camera and ability to focus at infinity that I wonder about.

90 is the Super with 150 or so image circle
120 is the Super with 160 or so image circle
105 is the big Super with 150 or so image circle
65 is the Super with 150 or so image circle.

Backfocus distance on the 65 is around 45mm or so, but FA literature requires 60 or so mm minimum.

I dont' have an FA to try but I would really like to use the 65mm on it even if the edges are dark. I just don't know the consequences of violating the 60 or so mm minimum backfocus distance.

Based on the Horseman literature it looks like the 90 will work OK but I wonder if anyone has 'real life' experience with that lens on the FA.
(sorry I have no lens info at my desk presently so I am trying to remember all these important dimensions)

Sam Crater
17-Feb-2007, 09:06
In the case of the 65 it seems that when Horseman introduced the later cameras with slightly greater minimum extension, they changed the lensboard so that the lens sits farther back in the lensboard and still works. The later 65 certainly works with the VHR and 45HF and I'm pretty sure it works with the FA, but it has to be the later 65 and as I remember the quick way to be sure it's a later one is that the lensboard will NOT say "Made in Japan" underneath the lens on the front.

An odd upshot of the change is that the later 65 does not fold up inside the earlier cameras because the rear element sticks back too far.

Ted Harris
17-Feb-2007, 09:16
And ... if it works on the HF it will work on the FA as they are basically the same camera with the excepton that the HF does not have a rotating back ... it is landscape format only.

ic-racer
20-Feb-2007, 13:41
In the case of the 65 it seems that when Horseman introduced the later cameras with slightly greater minimum extension, they changed the lensboard so that the lens sits farther back in the lensboard and still works. The later 65 certainly works with the VHR and 45HF and I'm pretty sure it works with the FA, but it has to be the later 65 and as I remember the quick way to be sure it's a later one is that the lensboard will NOT say "Made in Japan" underneath the lens on the front.

An odd upshot of the change is that the later 65 does not fold up inside the earlier cameras because the rear element sticks back too far.

Yes, I am using the later lenses with the recessed board and the black wrinkle finish (instead of the gray industrial finish).

So you are saying that (presuming some probable dark corners) my 65 might actually fit on the FA/HD and focus at infinity.

Problem now is finding one. There have not been any on e-bay for a few weeks.

Ted Harris
20-Feb-2007, 14:20
ic-racer, call oremail Jim at Midwest, he usually has an FA and an HD or two around, sometimes an HF too .... jim@mpex.com or 1-614-261-1264

Sam Crater
20-Feb-2007, 21:55
Yes, it should work.

KEH has a 45HD at a good price right now and is also a great outfit.

ic-racer
21-Feb-2007, 12:03
Thanks for the leads on the horseman field cameras.