PDA

View Full Version : Which one shall I choose? Toyo 45AII or Wista 45SP?

khtwo
15-Feb-2007, 20:53
It seems that Wista 45SP has more flexibility on front shifting and rising, and back tilting.
I need your opinions and experience. Thanks!

Ted Harris
15-Feb-2007, 21:02
I don't think you will find any functional differences that matter a great deal between the two camras with one major exception ... the Wista has interchangable bellows soif this is important to you your choice is made up. I have used both and currently use a Toyo which I feel is a little bit tighter built than the Wista but that is a very subjective statement. You should really try both if you can. If Jim at Midwst has one of each he will let you do that.

khtwo
15-Feb-2007, 21:30
Thanks, Ted. You are right, the interchangable bellows is some important. Don't you think the front shift of 7mm(Toyo 45AII) comparing to 40mm(Wista 45sp) is a big difference in shooting?

Frank Petronio
15-Feb-2007, 21:45
It might for architecture, less so for landscape. Funny, I would have said the SP I had was tighter than the Toyo I used, so I guess maybe it depends more on the indivdual camera?

khtwo
15-Feb-2007, 21:50
It might for architecture, less so for landscape. Funny, I would have said the SP I had was tighter than the Toyo I used, so I guess maybe it depends more on the indivdual camera?

Why it's said less so for landscape? Because it's 1.xKg heavier than wood field camera? Someone gives opinion which said that metal field cameras normally more steady than wooden ones, especially in the wind. What do you think?

Frank Petronio
15-Feb-2007, 22:23
No, I meant that the need for shift is more likely to be used for architectural or studio subjects. Landscape and portrait photographers will sometimes use shift, but not as often in general practice.

As for the cameras, either one will be excellent. The metal cameras are more robust and stable than a wooden camera of comparable price and quality. The wooden camera will be lighter and maybe more beautiful.

roteague
15-Feb-2007, 22:54
I agree with Frank. I have a Toyo 45AII, which I love, and which I am getting ready to replace with another new one (I dropped the old one in the ocean a couple of years ago, and it has never been the same).

Dave Parker
16-Feb-2007, 01:10
Hey Robert...

When you get ready to sell your old one, please give me a holler.

Dave

khtwo
16-Feb-2007, 01:55
Thanks, everyone!
By the way, can you please suggest any 6x12 holders for 4x5? I don't want to spend more than $300 on this. Does anyone tried the Chinese Da Yi or Guo Hua 612 holder? What do you think of them?