PDA

View Full Version : What Film With Kodak XTOL Developer?

Scott Rosenberg
15-Feb-2007, 13:48
due to a recent move i am now working with a new lab. while my previous lab developed all my film in ilford ddx, and i was very pleased with the results with FP4, my new lab uses Kodak XTOL developer, and i am finding that i am not quite as satisfied with the results. i'm not sure if this is the lab, or just not the ideal pairing of film and chemistry. as such, i am going to start to experiment with various emulsions to see which one i find most pleasing when paired with my new lab's XTOL developer, however, i was hoping that some of you guys that have gone down this road already could offer suggestions and help me narrow the field a bit.

thanks for any suggestions,

Bruce Watson
15-Feb-2007, 14:09
due to a recent move i am now working with a new lab. while my previous lab developed all my film in ilford ddx, and i was very pleased with the results with FP4, my new lab uses Kodak XTOL developer, and i am finding that i am not quite as satisfied with the results. i'm not sure if this is the lab, or just not the ideal pairing of film and chemistry. as such, i am going to start to experiment with various emulsions to see which one i find most pleasing when paired with my new lab's XTOL developer, however, i was hoping that some of you guys that have gone down this road already could offer suggestions and help me narrow the field a bit.

I use XTOL with 5x4 Tri-X and love it. It also has a good reputation with tabular grained films. If you want to stick with Ilford and 100 speed films, why not give Delta 100 a try? Else, there's always 100Tmax.

Scott Rosenberg
15-Feb-2007, 15:18
bruce,

my short list right out of the gate was going to be TMax, which i was previously unhappy with due to very hot highlights, Tri-X, and Across. Based on what I've seen with FP4, I was eliminating Ilford emulsions, hence no delta. I actually have a box of it in my freezer, so will include it as well.

thanks,

Eric Biggerstaff
15-Feb-2007, 15:26
I used Xtol with FP4+, HP5+, Acros, and Tri-X, all seemed to work well. I am not a big tester but I had no problems with any of these films.

Doing film testing when you switch developers is a good idea as you may need to tweek your film ratings, development time, development dilutions, etc.to find how the developer and film will work best with each other.

Henry Ambrose
15-Feb-2007, 17:53
Except that you say you've tried it and not liked it I'd say keep on with FP4. FP4 in Xtol 1:3 is wonderful. But thats in more dilute Xtol than what your lab is using I'm guessing. In deep tanks its likely stock (undiluted) if thats how they do it. I found DDX to give sharper grain and Xtol smoother. 1:3 dilution of Xtol changes this a bit and brings back the crispness. These are subtle differences for sure but it might be what makes Xtol sing for you. And it might be that something else works better especially if the lab can't offer anything else.

D. Bryant
15-Feb-2007, 18:42

thanks for any suggestions,
FWIW, I found most any B&W film processed in XTOL for silver gelatin printing to be excellent once I dialed in my processing time.

In particular TMAX 100 and TMAX 400 printed on the now defunct Agfa Multi-Contrast Classic was an unbeatable combination.

Don Bryant

Sheldon N
15-Feb-2007, 19:30
Scott -

Which lab in town are you using?

davidb
15-Feb-2007, 20:38
I use xtol for 99 percent of my work. FP4+ and HP5+ are superb in xtol. Same with APX 100 but that's gone.

Ron Marshall
15-Feb-2007, 21:16
With XTOL 1:3 in a Jobo, I am very happy with the results with FP4, HP5, Neopan 400, and TMY. It gives me 1/3 of a stop more than D76 (as a reference).

Kirk Keyes
16-Feb-2007, 08:34
my new lab uses Kodak XTOL developer, and i am finding that i am not quite as satisfied with the results.

Scott - just what about the developed negs are you not satisfied with. It could be something as simple as a change in development time with the XTOL and you would be pleased. So what don't you like about it?

Andrew O'Neill
16-Feb-2007, 08:57
FP4+ and Xtol are a great match. Even nice when Xtol is used at 1+1. Why may I ask don't you process the film yourself?? Then you can use DDX.

Armin Seeholzer
16-Feb-2007, 09:32
Yes why you're not doing it yourself?
XTOL is all what I need for every film its only the best if you can do it as you like it!
B+W cry's for selfdevelopment!
Take the controll over to yourself!

Good luck, Armin Seeholzer

Bob McCarthy
16-Feb-2007, 10:50
Scott,

Chatted with ES this morning about your problem, he thought the T-max (specifically 100) products were an excellent match for xtol. I tend to agree with the poster that discussed getting the lab to adjust dev time to "your" exposures, no matter what film your working with. And adjust your exposures (ei rating) to their chemical process.

Most likely adjusting ei and dev time can be found with testing to your satisfaction. Since your scanning, adjust your contrast/dr to the scanner.

Love to see shots of the China trip!!

Bob

Scott Rosenberg
16-Feb-2007, 13:24
Sheldon,
I am using Photocraft.

Kirk,
I'm not sure of the official photo-speak, but the negs seem dull and flat compared to what I expect from FP4+. Sorta tough to verbalize, but the film seems softer - none of that FP4+ POP i love. based on some of the responses here, sounds like a more dilute solution, or switching to TMax, might be the answer.

Andrew and Armin, I'd love to do my own processing, but right now I simply don't have the resources (time, equipment, space, TIME) to commit to doing it properly, so having a lab take care of it and working to optimize my process to their workstream is really my only option.

Bob,
WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON WITH YOUR EMAIL??? Nothing has gone through for the last two weeks!

thanks to everyone for your inputs!

Kirk Keyes
16-Feb-2007, 13:50
It may not need to be more dilute, but maybe it just needs a little more development time. Ask if they will add 20% more time next run.

Are the subjects in flat lighting? Overcast or hazy conditions? (I.e. like much of industrial China or Oregon right now...)

PS - Scott, Sheldon - you want to meet me for sunset at Manzanita tomorrow?

Bob McCarthy
16-Feb-2007, 13:51
[QUOTE=Scott Rosenberg;218112]Sheldon,

Bob,
WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON WITH YOUR EMAIL??? Nothing has gone through for the last two weeks!

QUOTE]

oopps,

use my home address jokker.mcc@verizon.net

I've started a new company and am not available at the old address.

Sorry, I forgot to email you.

Bob

Scott Rosenberg
16-Feb-2007, 14:04
Bob,
You emailed me, but neither address seems to be working.

Kirk,
I'll shoot you a note of the forum.

Sheldon N
16-Feb-2007, 20:44
Photocraft is a great lab, so they should be able to work with what you need.

Just specify the development times that you are after and ask what dilution they are using. You should be able to get what you want with FP4+ without having to switch films.

Jan Pedersen
16-Feb-2007, 23:26
Photocraft is a great lab

I'll second that, although i do my own B&W they do some nice color work.