PDA

View Full Version : Article on conservation in the (post)modern world

paulr
13-Feb-2007, 21:10
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/14/arts/design/14pain.html?hp&ex=1171429200&en=1361485caeb5c587&ei=5094&partner=homepage

Struan Gray
14-Feb-2007, 04:38
Photo and painting conservators have it easy. Imagine the issues involved in curating a Joseph Cornell box, or a heap of felt and lard.

false_Aesthetic
18-Feb-2007, 14:39
Photo and painting conservators have it easy. Imagine the issues involved in curating a Joseph Cornell box, or a heap of felt and lard.

You should look up Anselm Kiefer's work. The galleries usually have to attend to the floor with a broom and dustpan every few days.
----

One of my photo teachers once said, "If you want to make something archival go make pottery."

I whole heartedly believe in the statement. I think people paint, draw, photograph because they **NEED** to. WE never thing how we'll save this thing while we're doing it. That thought only comes after (a result of commodification? thoughts of people investing hundres, thousands, millions?).

But then again, I believe that the human race will be wiped out by aliens with a big laser and Will Smith won't save us because he's gettin' jiggy wit it. When the aliens are done wreaking havoc, only 1 archival object will exist: A Gursky picture of the Statue of Libery--buried in sand--and only a young Charlton Heston will express the irony by shouting "DAMN YOU!!!!"

paulr
18-Feb-2007, 18:46
When the aliens are done wreaking havoc, only 1 archival object will exist: A Gursky picture of the Statue of Libery--buried in sand--and only a young Charlton Heston will express the irony by shouting "DAMN YOU!!!!"

If I ever make millions on one of my quite perishable prints, count me in as an investor.

Struan Gray
19-Feb-2007, 03:06
Actually, one of the things I thought we would have by now is inkjet 'printing' of stained glass panels.

On the other hand, one of my favourite sources of artistic inspiration is a hole torn in horse chestnut leaves. Archive that.