PDA

View Full Version : Velvia 50

Robert Fisher
13-Feb-2007, 09:44
received in a Fuji newsletter this morning:

Velvia 50 is back!
We’re delighted to announce the re-introduction of Fujichrome Velvia 50. Production of Velvia 50 was halted at the beginning of 2005 when vital raw materials used in the production of the emulsion became unavailable.

In response to requests from photographers, Fujifilm’s research and development teams have been working hard to develop substitute raw materials and find new manufacturing technologies that have enabled the restart of production of this famous emulsion. The launch of new Velvia 50 is planned for the spring of 2007. The characteristics of the new emulsion will mirror that of the previous product.

Leading landscape photographer, Charlie Waite, made this comment on the news: “When we heard of the demise of Velvia 50, many of us experienced considerable withdrawal symptoms! After some 15 years of using the same emulsion we had got to know all the film's character and personality and always relished looking at a transparency on a light box - still a visual and emotional experience that’s hard to beat. Now Velvia 50 has returned and amidst the hills and valleys, I hear trumpet voluntaries and chiming bells sounding throughout the landscape photography fraternity. Hurrah we all sing!"

An announcement of specific details, including price, formats and availability schedule will be made as soon as they are available.

Daniele Minetto
13-Feb-2007, 11:44
still a visual and emotional experience that’s hard to beat
I couldn't agree more.. thanks God Velvia is coming back.

Alan Davenport
13-Feb-2007, 12:45
I sure hope they package loose sheets, and not just those lousy Quickloads...

naturephoto1
13-Feb-2007, 13:35
As has been discussed on this subject several times already, we will have to see what the new Velia 50 is like in comparison with the original. It will not be the same film.

Rich

Robert Brummitt
13-Feb-2007, 17:47
This sounds like "New Coke" Vs. Coke Classic. I'll buy a few rolls of 120 to see and do a comparison. Anyways, new Velvia will always beat Koduck for me.:rolleyes:

steve simmons
13-Feb-2007, 18:02
View Camera is in contact with people at Fuji USA and will do a comparison as soon as we can get some film.

steve simmons

roteague
4-Mar-2007, 22:59
According to the Fuji guys running choose-film.com, the new Velvia 50 is in the final stages of development and should be in stores in the UK by late May/early June, and US in about the same time frame. The news is that the new film will have the same characteristics as the old tried and true RVP 50, only sharper!

Did someone say "film is dead"?

Renee Galang
4-Mar-2007, 23:31
Am just hoping that it will be available in 11x14, that is all I want to hear.

Capocheny
4-Mar-2007, 23:41
Good news indeed!

Anyways, new Velvia will always beat Koduck for me.:rolleyes:

Couldn't agree with you more Robert! :)

Cheers

Sergio Caetano
5-Mar-2007, 06:49
One more reason to forget Kodak (and with pleasure).

alec4444
5-Mar-2007, 13:30
Production of Velvia 50 was halted at the beginning of 2005 when vital raw materials used in the production of the emulsion became unavailable.

LOL, I have this image in my mind of them slaughtering endangered species to produce this film. "Sorry guys, no more Dodo birds left... But don't worry, we've found a new way to make it using the Blue Macaw."

--A

steve simmons
19-Mar-2007, 07:18
I talked to a US Fuji rep over the weekend and this film should be available mid-summer.

steve simmons

Alan Davenport
19-Mar-2007, 10:17
It'll be good to see Velvia 50 back in production. I just hope the "new" version really does match the performance of the old.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here, but I don't remember hearing any mention of a lack of "vital raw materials" at the time Fuji discontinued the original Velvia? My cynical self wants to believe that they expected the photographic community to eagerly embrace the then-new 100 speed Velvia films, and that they (Fuji) were taken aback by the response they received.

Dave Parker
19-Mar-2007, 10:46
Actually Alan,

I got an email from Fuji at the time the ISO 50 was discontinued stating that there was a difficulty in securing the raw materials which is the reason they were discontinuing it, that is the information that many of us was getting at that time, whether it was true or not, I have no way of knowing, but that is what we were told when we emailed them..Also, as far as I know, the ISO 100 version actually has been a pretty good seller for them, not the F version, but just the regular 100, I never liked either of the 100 versions, but was able to do some good stuff with the straight 100 shooting it at ISO 80, but it was still not the original.

Dave

Ted Harris
19-Mar-2007, 13:13
Agree with Dave. Fortunately, I have a stash of the original from one of the last batches produced. Frozen since I got it and doesn't evenexpire until late this summer (August IIRC or later). When the new stuff comes in I will do some side-by-side comparison shooting for the magazine and you can look at the results. I'll put a couple up here too.

Alan Davenport
19-Mar-2007, 13:34
Thanks, Dave. I hadn't seen Fuji's statements at the time, and I admit I'm pretty darn cynical about corporate motives. (In my defense, I'm usually right: most corporations are driven by greed.)

Robert Fisher
19-Mar-2007, 13:57
A question for you seasoned 8x10 shooters.

Besides Badger and B&H, where can I secure 8x10 E6 film?

Thanks!

Eric Leppanen
19-Mar-2007, 16:12
A question for you seasoned 8x10 shooters.

Besides Badger and B&H, where can I secure 8x10 E6 film?

Thanks!I believe Calumet stocks a few 8x10 E-6 emulsions (Provia 100F and E100VS among them); Adorama might still stock some too (haven't checked with them for a long time). Hunt's in Maine sometimes has short-dated film. Otherwise most dealers do not stock 8x10 color film and must order it, which normally takes a few days. Samy's Pasadena store is a retailer I still work with, although these days they stock little 8x10 and usually have to order film for me.

Our local Fuji rep has told us that Fuji USA will be stocking Provia 100F, the new Velvia 50 (a conservative estimate is that this film will be available in sheets by the end of this year), and Pro 160S in 8x10. All other film emulsions in 8x10 will have to be special ordered, presumably with a $10K minimum order size. Alternatively, you can import film directly via Megaperls (http://www.unicircuits.com/shop/), which is run by Dirk Rosler. The good news about Megaperls is that they carry virtually all Fuji emulsions in 8x10 and have an excellent reputation; the bad news is that they are expensive. But they provide a fallback if local sources are out of stock.

At this point, Kodak is still shipping a variety of E-6 emulsions in 8x10 (including 100VS and E100G).

Dirk Rösler
14-Apr-2007, 17:05
New Velvia 50 (RVP 50) is available in Japan from today and worldwide via the site quoted above. Formats are 120, 220, 4x5, 10x8 and 5x7 (on special order).

Gary Smith
14-Apr-2007, 17:11
New Velvia 50 (RVP 50) is available in Japan from today and worldwide via the site quoted above. Formats are 120, 220, 4x5, 10x8 and 5x7 (on special order).

HI Dirk,

Actually my local Yodobashi had it in 120, 220 and 4x5 yesterday. I actually bought 4x5 and 120, will be going out to give it a test today.

I am going to compare it to the old 50 and the Velvia 100. Though my test will be in 120, if there is any interest once I get the film developed I can post some scans.

Hope it helps.

Gary

Ted Harris
14-Apr-2007, 17:35
Thanks to Dirk I'll have some for the View Camera article/review in the next week or so. I'll shoot it side-by-side with the original and post some of the first results here as well as in the magazine. Hehehehehe, if weather continues it will be Velvia snow scenes.