PDA

View Full Version : Any news on Microtek Artixscan M1?

jgsampso
11-Feb-2007, 20:27
Hi all,

I've been anxiously awaiting any news on the Microtek ArtixScan M1 that is supposed to be due this month. I've been holding off on buying a scanner until the M1 comes out and can be reviewed. Does anyone know if it is still on schedule to be released this month?

Thanks in advance
Jason

Kirk Gittings
11-Feb-2007, 20:37
I am reasonably sure it will be announced at PMA, March 8th.

jgsampso
11-Feb-2007, 20:40
Excellent! Thanks Kirk!

Jason

false_Aesthetic
13-Feb-2007, 06:09
Hmm.

I was just about to ask the same question.

Gene McCluney
13-Feb-2007, 17:15
The original press releases on this scanner, from back in October don't specifically mention any film size larger than 4x5. I have the Artixscan 2500f, and it has a glass plate that you can put any size neg on up to about 8x11 or so, in addition to the dedicated film carriers for the smaller sizes. It won't do 2500 dpi with 8x10, just 1250 dpi, but that is plenty from an 8x10 neg for most people.
Sinc this M1`is an update, higher res version, it would be nice if it would do negs and transparencies up to 8x10. Anyone have a clue? Otherwise, at least for me, it wouldn't be a replacement for the elderly 2500f.

Ted Harris
13-Feb-2007, 19:13
It will do negs and trnsparencies up to 8x10 .... thre is no way it will outperform your 2500f (assuming you get it working properly.

r.e.
13-Feb-2007, 19:31
...thre is no way it will outperform your 2500f...

Would you consider expanding on that? I'm interested in this scanner for 35mm,6x7 and 4x5, but so far as I know, nobody has tested it yet in any format.

If you have insights into what the scanner will and won't do, I, and I'm sure others, would appreciate the benefit of your views.

Ted Harris
13-Feb-2007, 19:42
The scanner has not yet been released. The releae date is scheduled of sometime next month. I will have one for review and evaluation at that time. Until then, there is no sense in speculation.

My point above is that the 2500f is in an entirely different class than the M1. The only currently available 'prosumer' scanner that performs similarly to the 2500f is the (recently discontinued) 1800f. The 2500f has superior DMax, color fringing (lack of) and resoution to all of the other 'prosumer' scanners. OTOH, it is not available on the North American Market at the moment and, when it was sold in the range of $2500 ... so not really comperable to the others.

r.e.
13-Feb-2007, 19:58
I will have one for review and evaluation at that time.

I very much look forward to your review.

I'm using a Creo for a professional project, but I'm looking for a scanner for personal, non-professional use for 6x7 and 4x5 and a backlog of 35mm negatives.

sanking
14-Feb-2007, 22:56
The 2500f has superior DMax, color fringing (lack of) and resoution to all of the other 'prosumer' scanners. OTOH, it is not available on the North American Market at the moment and, when it was sold in the range of $2500 ... so not really comperable to the others.

Ted,

Why do you say that the 2500f is not available at the moment in the North American market. I did a google seach and found two places that have the scanner for sale, at around $2800. Would this be some kind of gray market merchandise?

Sandy

Ted Harris
15-Feb-2007, 06:45
Sandy,

Microtek made a corporte decision 2-3 years ago to stop distributing the 2500f in the US.

While the scanners you found doing a Google search could be gray market I would be more inclined to suspect: 1) old stock or 2) old listing and none really available. That said, you have piqued my curiousity so if you wouldn't mind emailing or PMing me the suppliers I'll check it further.

evan clarke
15-Feb-2007, 07:27
Would you consider expanding on that? I'm interested in this scanner for 35mm,6x7 and 4x5, but so far as I know, nobody has tested it yet in any format.

If you have insights into what the scanner will and won't do, I, and I'm sure others, would appreciate the benefit of your views.

If you want a scanner for 35mm and 6x7 there is no way you will come close to the Nikon 9000. My scans from roll film have consistently beaten my 1800f and 4x5. The Nikon software is just the bomb..Evan Clarke

Gene McCluney
15-Feb-2007, 09:50
I remember when I purchased my 2500f, the dealer tried every way he could to get me to purchase the 1800f, which was just introduced. I held my ground, because I needed that added resolution. I now have the 2500f and a Nikon 9000ed. This is a great combination of scanners to get the best possible results in-house from 35mm to 8x10.

sanking
15-Feb-2007, 10:57
Sandy,

Microtek made a corporte decision 2-3 years ago to stop distributing the 2500f in the US.

While the scanners you found doing a Google search could be gray market I would be more inclined to suspect: 1) old stock or 2) old listing and none really available. That said, you have piqued my curiousity so if you wouldn't mind emailing or PMing me the suppliers I'll check it further.

Ted,

Maybe I was dreaming. I did another search this morning and could not locate any suppliers. You are probably right in that it was on old listing.

Sandy

Ted Harris
22-Feb-2007, 10:51
Latest news ::::::::::::::::::sigh::::::::::::::::: a note from Microtek yesterday (the public announcemenet will be next week). From Microtek: "Our press release on October 24, 2006, stated that we expected to release the Microtek ArtixScan M1 scanner in February 2007. Unfortunately, there is still considerable work to be done to prepare this scanner for production. We now expect to begin production at the end of March and deliver the scanner to stores in the United States in early May."

Ed Richards
29-Mar-2007, 19:28
There is now a description on their WWW site:

http://www.microtekusa.com/microtek-artixscan-m1.html

Ted Harris
29-Mar-2007, 19:36
The specs on the website have to be considered preliminary since they have still not delivered a working prototype but I assume they will be to the posted specs. As oted on the website and as I posted earlier this week in another thread .... new releasae date is early June.

BTW, from what I know the shifting release date is not a factor of technology problems but rather because of an over zealous PR announcement the first time around.

James Bemus
11-May-2007, 11:20
For those looking for the Artixscan 2500f in the US here is a link to a dealer that sells it. Their price is under $1200.

http://salestores.com/micar25fir25.html

I don't know anything more about them.

Gene McCluney
11-May-2007, 11:36
For those looking for the Artixscan 2500f in the US here is a link to a dealer that sells it. Their price is under $1200.

http://salestores.com/micar25fir25.html

I don't know anything more about them.

It says waay down at the bottom of the webpage that this item is brand new, not refurb. So, that is a great deal on a very high quality scanner for LF negs, up to 8x10. I paid over $2500 brand new for mine a few years ago.

Ted Harris
11-May-2007, 17:34
Assuming it isn't an old listing and they really have them in stock. If they do I will likely buy one
to use in our workshops. Has anyone called them?

Ed Richards
11-May-2007, 20:31
Here is what their site says:

Upon receipt of your order, we will contact our suppliers to confirm stock and cost. We work hard to keep our web site updated, but if there has been an increase or mistake in the cost of the product or in the shipping cost, we will probably cancel your order and send you an email asking you if you want the product at the new price.

Doug Dolde
17-May-2007, 20:22
I just got lucky and found a 2500F for $500 in near perfect condition with all accessories and software. I'm anxious for it to arrive.

My Epson 4990 will be heading for Ebay very soon (or maybe I will list it here first). Ironic but I just bought one of Doug Fisher's new wet/dry mount film holder kits for the Epson and haven't even had a chance to use it.

Gene McCluney
17-May-2007, 21:58
I just got lucky and found a 2500F for $500 in near perfect condition with all accessories and software. I'm anxious for it to arrive.

My Epson 4990 will be heading for Ebay very soon (or maybe I will list it here first). Ironic but I just bought one of Doug Fisher's new wet/dry mount film holder kits for the Epson and haven't even had a chance to use it.

You won't be disappointed with the 2500f "IF" you use Microteks scanner software, or Silverfast. The scanner does not perform well with Vuescan for me. You can download the current version of the Microtek scanner software for this scanner and your computer platform at the Microtek website. (free download)

Helen Bach
19-May-2007, 05:25
Assuming it isn't an old listing and they really have them in stock. If they do I will likely buy one
to use in our workshops. Has anyone called them?

Did you have any luck Ted? I placed an order on the 11th, and after chasing them they promised to give me a firm yes or no by the 18th, but no news yet.

Best,
Helen

Ted Harris
19-May-2007, 05:56
Helen, frankly after my initial look at their webs ite I haen't had a chance to follow through ... too busy. I will try and call them Monday but am very skeptical. Similar to a company whose name escapes me that was still listing Ektapan 5x7 film in stock as recently as last year, some 5 years after Kodak had discontinued same.

Robert Fisher
19-May-2007, 06:00
Ted, on Microteck's site this morning:

Note: "Our press release on October 24, 2006, stated that we expected to release the Microtek ArtixScan M1 scanner in February 2007. We now expect to begin production at the end of May and deliver the scanner to stores in the United States in early July. We appreciate your interest and apologize for this delay."

Ted Harris
19-May-2007, 06:46
Yeah :( ...... I know. They really blew it on this one. I was too flat out busy to post last week.

paul stimac
19-May-2007, 09:57
It's listed in B&H's new catalogue that came in the mail yesterday.

James Hoggard
20-May-2007, 19:16
If I may jump in. While we're talking about the M1...

Any word on the M1's optical density? I haven't seen any info on this and wondered if it might compare to the 1800f's advertised depth of 4.8. Thought you insider types may know.

Kirk Gittings
20-May-2007, 20:18
1800f's advertised depth of 4.8. Owned a few, a good scanner, slightly better in some ways than the best Epsons, but maybe about half that max. Like the Epsons, on the MTK 1800f OD max is grossly exaggerated.

Don't expect anything more than an incremental improvement over earlier scanners. I have owned 3200, 4870, 4990, V750 Pro, Canon 9950F, Microtek 1800f. Each was only a slight improvement over the last generation of existing prosumer flatbed scanners. From Epson 3200 to V750 is a big leap, but 3200 to 4870 to 4990 to V750 was just incremental each time.

James Hoggard
20-May-2007, 21:44
Funny you should compare the newer scanners to the 3200. I'm battling the old Epson right now...

Helen Bach
21-May-2007, 09:14
Re the $1100 Microtek 2500f.

"We regret to inform you that nor we nor our suppliers have stock of the product(s) you ordered. The product(s) seem(s) to be discontinued or we cannot get them any more, so we will remove it(them) from our web site shortly."

Oh well, nothing ventured... They did not debit my card, and they did offer a small discount on anything else I might order in the near future. I'll stick with renting an Imacon 949 - which is probably the all-round best option for me anyway.

Best,
Helen

Ted Harris
21-May-2007, 14:21
Helen, if you can amortize the costs over time you might want to consider a factory refurbished CreoIQSmart2 that you can get from Kodak with fullwarranty for ~ 9K.

As for the M1. Latest information as of today from Microtek is that they expect it to go into poduction sometime in the next two weeks and to arrive in the US in the first or second week of July. As Kirk said, it will be an incremental increase in ability over the i900. Will it equal or outperform the V750 .... won't know until I test it. BTW, I also spoke with Microtek's chief US engineer and he has had the opportunity to test one either ....