PDA

View Full Version : Toyo 5x7 Film Holders Update

Gary Smith
10-Feb-2007, 18:02
Hi All,

Just a quick update. Toyo has said they are willing to make the holders, prices approximate delivery times are to follow in a few weeks. What they said they would provide in the next few weeks would be a price per holder based upon the interest I have recieved so far; as well as as rough estimate of delivery time.

Once that is known I will make another posting about it, at that point I will need to reconfirm the actual order totals, and then I will give some thought about payment methods. Havent thought about it much yet.

Thanks.

Gary

Michael Kadillak
16-Feb-2007, 19:10
Thanks Gary. As soon as you get the hard numbers, I would recommend a new post to get those that wanted to get on board a chance to commit. Secondly, a Pay Pal account or some other way to get a non-refundable deposit posted to you for a specific order is the only way to go.

I learned a long time ago that only a small percentage actually follow through when payment is the next action item on the agenda. We will find a way to work things out and thanks for all fo your hard work on this project.

Cheers!

Herb Cunningham
16-Feb-2007, 21:01
Amen to what Michael said.

Gary Smith
17-Feb-2007, 05:19
Thank you both for the kind words. When it comes time to make the final order, it will probably be have to be paid up front. I am pretty sure Toyo wont make the holders without cash in hand. Nor do I want to be stuck with several hundred film holders. If in the case of many people backing out then probably the order will probably have to be canceled.

Right now I am leaning toward paypal and a bank account set up just for this purpose.

Thanks again.

Gary

Nick_3536
17-Feb-2007, 06:49
Will you be shipping to us in Canada?

Gary Smith
17-Feb-2007, 07:04
I happy to ship just about anywhere, there are only a few places that I refuse to deal with, and I have never seen anybody from those particular areas posting here so its probably a non issue.

Gary

Kevin Crisp
17-Feb-2007, 08:13
When my current goverment took over my funds in blocked account. $1.7 billion in oil revenue. Found you by internet. As good faith sine will send you cashiers czech...

Kevin Crisp
17-Feb-2007, 08:15
PS: My uncle was oil minster.

Capocheny
17-Feb-2007, 13:04
Hi Gary,

Thanks for the heads-up. And, thanks for all your efforts on making this happen!

Cheers

Gary Smith
17-Feb-2007, 15:27
When my current goverment took over my funds in blocked account. $1.7 billion in oil revenue. Found you by internet. As good faith sine will send you cashiers czech...

This sounds familiar. I just had an email yesterday from a friendly man in Africa saying his father, the ex El Presidente had died and he offered me several million dollars in exchage for my help.

Time to retire!

Gary

John Bowen
17-Feb-2007, 15:54
Several Million dollars in exchange for Toyo 5x7 film holders.....Gotta love those Nigerians

AlaBill
18-Feb-2007, 03:23
I didn't chime in on the first post of the 5x7 order, but I want some as well. Do I need to do anything right now.

Bill

Michael Alpert
18-Feb-2007, 08:11
Gary,

Last week I wrote to you, suggesting that you use an established dealer to handle the sales aspect of this effort. I have not previously initiated private messages through this forum, and I cannot tell whether or not you received what I wrote. If you didn't receive the messages, please let me know how I can contact you. What you do is, of course, up to you. I certainly appreciate your work on behalf of the community. email: alpert@umit.maine.edu

Scott Squires
21-Feb-2007, 08:54
I agree with Michael on maybe using one of the LF dealers like Badger, VCS or ?. I would think one of these dealers would be willing to do it, for a markup of course. It would probably get more people that are interested to pay up front.

Thanks for your effort in all this.

Scott
www.scottsquires.com

Gary Smith
21-Feb-2007, 20:19
Michael,

I never got any pms from you, so I will reply to you off list once I get home. Currently I am at the office, and the mail server is taking a holiday.

Scott,

I am open to suggestions on this, and maybe a little help. Do you think it would be best to contact Midwest or Badger directly. I have done business with Jeff at badger a few times, and had only limited contact with Jim at midwest.

Thanks again.

Gary

Capocheny
21-Feb-2007, 20:36
Hi Gary,

Either Jim or Jeff are really honorable people... you might even offer both of them the opportunity to get involved in this project.

I'd think they'd be really interested now that you've done 99% of the leg work! :)

Cheers

Michael Alpert
23-Feb-2007, 08:25
Gary,

Thank you for your response. I haven't yet received an email from you. I am not sure why my priviate messages did not go through. In any case, I suggest that you contact Jeff at Badger directly. With established dealers involved, the numbers of holders in the order will undoubtedly go up (which could result in a better price) and the whole process of will be more efficient. Again, I appreciate your work on behalf of the large-format community.

Herb Cunningham
1-Mar-2007, 06:49
Second the motion about Badger or Midwest. both are honorable guys, and I would think they would be interested in becoming even more dominant in the LF market with such a service. They have shipping depts, and it would lessen your hassle a lot.

I am going to be in Europe for most of March, but can send a deposit to you now if need be.

Let me know.

Ted Harris
1-Mar-2007, 07:13
Gary ... one more thought on Midwest ... Jim makes frequent trips to Japan, 4 to 6 times a year so could easily meet with and coordinate this with you if you and he agreed.

Michael Alpert
1-Mar-2007, 15:18
Gary,

I am not sure who you are talking with at Toyo. This week, Toyo has informed a reliable source in Japan that they are not going to be making 5x7 film holders. They said that a company that is associated with Toyo (I think they meant a subcontractor) might be making such holders in Taiwan, but that Toyo itself has no plans for making this product. This is not good news, and the situation is confusing to me. Rather than say nothing, I thought it best to inform you. Since private messages do not seem to reach you, posting this information on the forum seems to be the only avenue available. I hope you can clarify this. With best regards.

Gary Smith
1-Mar-2007, 15:44
THis is news to me. My last conversation with Toyo 10 days ago said they would be willing to produce the holders and they would be getting back to me with the final details. However I am currently on business in in the states until tomorrow, I will call them once I get back to Japan.

Maybe they decided there was enough on an interest to market themselves. But this is news to me, and I have had no email from them. But I will double check once I get back. Regardless, I hope either they or a subcontractor makes the holders, whether or not.

Sakai Co, which owns Toyo I believe have plants(or subcontrators) in both Taiwan and China. I could see them making them there.

Regards.,

Gary

Oren Grad
1-Mar-2007, 16:06
It doesn't matter who makes them, only whether they get made at all, to the Toyo design and quality standard.

Gary Smith
1-Mar-2007, 16:10
It doesn't matter who makes them, only whether they get made at all, to the Toyo design and quality standard.

You are exactly right. If they make themselves or through a sub contractor, or if they bring them to mark themselves or they go through this order. As long as they get made.

I have to run, I have to have dinner with my parents and see a few friends before I fly back to Japan tomorrow am.

Thanks!

Gary

marcmccalmont
4-Mar-2007, 11:14
I would be interested in a few 5x7 film holders. Please let me know when you have some
Thanks
Marc
mach1acoustics@hotmail.com