PDA

View Full Version : Napa - Sonoma Mustard Grass

Sideshow Bob
10-Feb-2007, 15:15
Does anyone know if the Mustard is blooming in the Napa/Sonoma valleys? Is it none yet, just starting, peak, or past peak? Does anyone know whom I could call to find out?

Thanks for any input.
Gale

Ralph Barker
10-Feb-2007, 15:30
I don't know if there is a specialized group that follows this, but I'd guess the Sonoma Chamber of Commerce or tourist bureau might be a place to start.

jmcd
11-Feb-2007, 10:06
It is just starting, but will come in fast.

Sideshow Bob
11-Feb-2007, 17:32
Thanks Ralph and John. John, what would be your guess? Another week or two?

Thanks,
Gale

jmcd
11-Feb-2007, 18:17
I think a week or two sounds right. Some rows here and there are fully filled in, some not at all, some just getting started. But it has rained, and the sun has also been out. Things are starting to grow fast.

Peter Langham
11-Feb-2007, 21:05
I live in Napa. The mustard has started blooming, as are some of the trees. With the weather forcasted to getr warm later in the week, it will go crazy.

Peter

Sideshow Bob
22-Feb-2007, 21:27
So peter, how’s it looking? My bags are packed and I ‘m ready too go!
Thanks for your imput.
Gale

Peter Langham
22-Feb-2007, 22:13
Bob,
I think it is getting better Up Valley (toward St Helena). It still has a way to go down here in Napa. I have been going crazy getting ready for my show (it opens tomorrow) and haven't been out checking it out. I might take a ride up valley tomorrow. If I do, I'll let you know. I'll try to keep you posted.

If you get up here, check out my show in Napa.

Peter Langham

Peter Langham
22-Feb-2007, 22:20
Gale,
My apologies for calling you Bob. I saw the Sideshow Bob screen name and didn't read to the end.
Peter

Sideshow Bob
23-Feb-2007, 09:58
Peter,
No problem. Good luck with your show, where is it being held?
Gale

Peter Langham
23-Feb-2007, 13:04
Gale,
The show is at Artissimo Gallery, 3372 Solano Ave in Napa. Trancas off from 29. Right turn and 1st left then into the parking lot.

Thanks,
Peter

I'll try to update the mustard report as soon as I can.

Peter Langham
25-Feb-2007, 00:29
Gale,

I still haven't gotten out and about too much, but I am seeing some good mustard. I asked several friends who have been upvalley in the last week and they say it is looking good just north of Yountville. I think if you come up in the next week or two when the weather is good, you will be able to find good stuff happening.

Peter

Sideshow Bob
25-Feb-2007, 23:03
Peter,

Thanks for the update. It looks like most of this week is going to be wet so I’m planning on coming up next week. One more question, do you know where “Muir’s Barn” is located? I saw in in a book and it is a red barn located in the “Carneros region” where ever that is?

Thanks,
Gale

brad martin
26-Feb-2007, 00:51
I would think the window for a mustard show would be rather wide. And that April would be a prime month anywhere here in california. And what are those plants that look identical to mustard but they have white to purple flowers and if not for roadsides they would not exist?

Sideshow Bob
26-Feb-2007, 14:45
The mustard is a cover crop planted between vineyard rows to hold and replenish the soil during winter rains and is mowed in early spring so the window is kind of short. I’m hoping the wildflower will happen this year but unfortunately, it has been a dry winter (so far) in California.

Gale

Vaughn
26-Feb-2007, 20:10
While one is in Napa Valley, check out the photo show at the Mumm's Winery. A lot of AA photos along with other known (and lessor known) photographers. The theme is a celebration of the John Muir Trail.

I have a platinum/paladium print in the show.

Vaughn

Sideshow Bob
27-Feb-2007, 10:23
Vaughn,
You keep good company! I'll be sure and stop.
Gale

Peter Langham
27-Feb-2007, 15:30
Gale,
I have finally been out and about. The mustard is rounding into form. Some is very good, some not so much yet. Should be good for a few weeks, then it will get overgrown and it is cut down. It is wet, but the storms have been coming and going...outstanding light at times. I would get up here for some of these showery days.
I haven't been at the current show at Mumm, but I highly recommend going. They are almost always fantastic!! (except maybe the mustard festival show). The wine ain't bad either.

Vuagn, I will try to get by and check it out. Sounds great.

Peter

Wilbur Wong
27-Feb-2007, 18:40
Sorry didn't notice the post until tonight. I was through there Sunday, (25th) coming down from calistoga. It was pretty outrageous in places but probably still developing at the time. I don't know what the current cold spell will do, maybe it will slow the bloom down.

Peter Langham
28-Feb-2007, 14:46
Was out and about again today, actually taking pictures for a change. I would get up here soon. The mustard is getting high in most places. I would say it is not a great year. The density (??) of mustard seems low in alot of places, but it is high (height).

The weather is great....morning fog (what got me out), sun and clouds!!

Also got a friendly reminder from a vineyard manager...ask for permission. I was only about 10 feet from the roadway, but was indeed on their property. He seemed really willing to have me take pictures, just wanted to be asked so he could set any limits.

As for Muir's barn, I am afraid I am not familiar. I should be as I live only 5 minutes from the Napa Carneros region, but I'm not sure.

Peter

Sideshow Bob
28-Feb-2007, 17:05
I’ll be up there next week, weather permitting. I saw the photo of Muir’s barn in a small book called “Hidden Napa Valley” with photographs by Wes Walker. If you see it in a bookstore, the barn is on pages 12 & 13.

Thanks again,
Gale

Scott --
28-Feb-2007, 17:43
Wow - what a depressing thread. Wife and I spent time in Sonoma and Napa last year. Now I'm stuck in Pennsylvania... :(

Vaughn
1-Mar-2007, 10:10
Wow - what a depressing thread. Wife and I spent time in Sonoma and Napa last year. Now I'm stuck in Pennsylvania... :(

But don't ya have culture and history and stuff like that back there?;)

Just a general note...the Muir Trail/Sierras Photography show at Mumm's closes on March 11th. Worth seeing if you are anywhere near the area (and not in Pennsylvania) -- lots of early AA prints, Kerik has a gum-over platinum print in it, a couple by Geir Jordahl.

Vaughn

Scott --
1-Mar-2007, 13:44
But don't ya have culture and history and stuff like that back there?;)

Hmm - 18th century historical sites? Or wineries in Sonoma? ;)

Wish I was there with you guys.

Peter Langham
1-Mar-2007, 22:17
Vauhgn,

Thanks for the heads up on the Mumm show. I rarely miss them, but I had not heard about this one. I will try to make it a point to get up there before it closes. Sounds like a winner!!

Peter

Vaughn
2-Mar-2007, 11:39
Vauhgn,

Thanks for the heads up on the Mumm show. I rarely miss them, but I had not heard about this one. I will try to make it a point to get up there before it closes. Sounds like a winner!!

Peter

Keith Walklet (LF Forum member) also has images in the show! The images are well selected and grouped -- a very nicely curated show...and a fun opening reception as well. Mumm's charges for tasting their sparkleing wines, but the show is free -- best bargain around!

Hope you can make it to the show....man, where did February go to?!

Vaughn