PDA

View Full Version : Just got a view camera

Zach In Israel
9-Feb-2007, 06:23
A friend just gave me a Sinar Camera (Not 100% sure which actual model it is). I've only recently gotten into photography and these friends have been giving me quite a bit of equipment, (so far a Rollei TLR, a Pentax K-1000 and a Bogen 3036 tripod, in addition to this view camera).

While he did give me the camera, it did not include a lens, so I need to get one.

So my challenge now is to find a lens (and some film holders) for this. Right now I've mostly been shooting landscapes (http://www.photo.net/photos/ZachK). Any ideas on lens choice, it has to cover 4x5, and pass muster with my wife (In terms of budget).

FWIW this will be my first time using a view camera.

Ash
9-Feb-2007, 06:36
Wow!! If only my friends were that generous!!

Good luck with the kit. Rollei TLR's are brilliant, and Sinars are meant to be pretty good.

I recently posted a thread on a modification to a Cambo monorail camera - you may want to look into that if your budget is low. It involves really old barrrel lenses that are usually cheaper, and also one old shutter (but they're still available new).

If you have a big budget then you may want to look at the new lenses that have built in shutters. I could never afford it though. Check ebay for film holders

Zach In Israel
9-Feb-2007, 07:07
Wow!! If only my friends were that generous!!

Good luck with the kit. Rollei TLR's are brilliant, and Sinars are meant to be pretty good.

The Rollei is great, I love it. I expect that it will continue to be my main camera, just because it is small enough that I can carry it with me and is a total joy to use. I can also use it hand held, and mostly do. I need to get a smaller tripod for it for when I want to do something that the Bogen would be overkill for, but that i don't want to hand hold.

The Sinar seems pretty solid, I had it up on the tripod in my office to try and figure out the various dials etc.

As for why they are giving me all this stuff, they are an elderly couple who don't really have anyone else to leave stuff to. (Their daughter has downs) and I think they don't want it to go to a total stranger.

Ash
9-Feb-2007, 07:24
That's really sad about their daughter. But at least you are both profiting. You could do some really nice portraits for them, with the cameras they have given you - that way they can see you making use of the gift, and they have something pleasant in return.

Get a low neck strap, so the Rollei (I'm guessing Rolleiflex? or did you get a Rolleicord?) sits aroung belly-height. You can use a cable release and it stops camera shake from pressing the shutter with it held in your hand. I used my rolleicord for some long exposures on a tripod, but otherwise I keep it in-hand.

Edit - look into getting a monopod for the TLR. They're pretty handy for that stable touch but without the bulk of a tripod

steve simmons
9-Feb-2007, 08:28
Sinar has a how-to book on large format that shows how to use their cameras. Try and find a copy.

There are several articles that might be helpful to you in the Free Articles section of the View Camera web site

www.viewcamera.com

steve simmons

Ralph Barker
9-Feb-2007, 09:31
Welcome to the world of large format, Zach.

There are several ways to approach selection of your first lens:

1. choose a focal length generally "equivalent" to what you are using on a smaller format. For example, if you shoot with a 50mm lens on 35mm, a 150mm lens on 4x5 would be close. If you prefer a slightly-wide lens on 35mm, then something in the 125-135mm range on 4x5 might be better than a 150mm. Because of the difference in aspect ratios between formats, "equivalent" focal lengths can be misleading.

2. try walking around with a framing aid doing "air photos" to get an idea of what you like in the 4x5 format (see attachment, the knots are tied at standard focal lengths, and held to the face while looking through the cut-out).

3. buy something "standard" (e.g. 150mm) and add to that as time goes by (note that this approach may have additional "spousal repercussions" ;) ).

Research, of course, helps with understanding the choices. The "LF Home Page" (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/) link in the blue navigtion bar takes you to the home page here, where you'll find various articles about the basics of LF, along with comparison charts of many lenses.

David Karp
9-Feb-2007, 09:57
I don't know what the availability of used lenses is for you locally. If you need to go overseas, I recommend Jim Andracki at Midwest Photo Exchange in Ohio for used equipment. He has used lenses that he will sell you for very reasonable prices. In my experience, no matter how he describes them, they look like new. Very honest as well.

Hard to know what lens to start with. Even if you like wide angles in smaller formats, you might not like them in LF. Probably the most common lens people start with is a 210mm. One of the benefits of starting with a 210 or 150 is that there are so many of them out there, the prices for used lenses in these focal lengths are very reasonable.

My recommendation is to start with a used 210 or 150 to get your feet wet. Any modern lens from Fuji, Nikon, Rodenstock or Schneider is likely to be an outstanding optic if it was well maintained. Use your first lens to learn and figure out what you like. If you are like most of the rest of us, it will be like crack, and you will be addicted to LF.

Vaughn
9-Feb-2007, 10:22
Congrats on getting the equipment and welcome to the world of large format!

I will second David's suggestion of a lens between 150mm and 210mm to start with. Also look for Caltars lenses -- quality lenses made by Rodenstock and Schneider...they just have the Caltar name on them. They are usually much less expensive.

I also own a Rollei TLR -- great cameras!

Vaughn

steve simmons
9-Feb-2007, 10:35
There are several generic books on large format. By generic I mean not specific to Sinar which does have a unque focusing system.

User's Guide to the View Camera by Jim Stone
Using the View Camera that I wrote

But I would suggest the Sinar book because it will be the most specific to the camera you have.

As to specific lenses I would read the articles on the View Camera web site, There is an article on getting started and a lens focal length comparison chart that will be helpful.

If you will be shooting transparencies to give to a client then you should probaby stay with one brand of lens. If not then you can generally mix and matchbrand names to get the focallengths and sizes you want. Don't get caught up in the brandX vs brand y
debates that sometimes go on. Any multicoated lens made in the last 20 years will do fine.

steve simmons
www.viewcamera.com

Enrico Faini
9-Feb-2007, 11:21
as others have said any multicoated lens in a modern shutter from one of the big four will be an excellent choice

Uri Kolet
9-Feb-2007, 17:50
Welcome from Vancouver, Zach. Shabbath Shalom, Uri.
P.S. Are you going to process your own fillm? Who does 4x5 in Jerusalem?

Zach In Israel
10-Feb-2007, 09:31
There are several generic books on large format. By generic I mean not specific to Sinar which does have a unque focusing system.

User's Guide to the View Camera by Jim Stone
Using the View Camera that I wrote

But I would suggest the Sinar book because it will be the most specific to the camera you have.

As to specific lenses I would read the articles on the View Camera web site, There is an article on getting started and a lens focal length comparison chart that will be helpful.

If you will be shooting transparencies to give to a client then you should probaby stay with one brand of lens. If not then you can generally mix and matchbrand names to get the focallengths and sizes you want. Don't get caught up in the brandX vs brand y
debates that sometimes go on. Any multicoated lens made in the last 20 years will do fine.

steve simmons
www.viewcamera.com

I have your book, and a book from Sinar (they may have more than 1). I enjoyed yours BTW. I spent much of shabbat today looking at it, and looking at the photos and figuring what types of things I want to do. From what I can tell I'm thinking 180-210 would be idea.

I'm not doing this for a living, so I don't care about trying to keep all to the same brand of lens. I program computers for a day job, this is how I have fun.

Zach In Israel
10-Feb-2007, 09:36
Welcome from Vancouver, Zach. Shabbath Shalom, Uri.
P.S. Are you going to process your own fillm? Who does 4x5 in Jerusalem?

My wife is expecting, so a home darkroom is right out (she doesn't want the chemicals around the baby, otherwise she would be just as happy to put one in).

As for who does 4x5 in Jerusalem photo prizma on Yaffo right near zion square will do it no problem, though E-6 gets set out to Tel Aviv, Panorama in Talpiot can do it as well, I have had bad luck with them in the past, which is a pity as they are right around the corner from my office.

BTW my wife's cousin was running NCSY in Vancouver for the last bunch of years, but he is now back in Israel.

GPS
10-Feb-2007, 09:39
A nice way to spend sabbath, Zach. But I think that you got good advice with the viewing frame - use it, maybe you will see that you need something wider. After all, Israel is rather wide-photogenic, even with the occasional moutains...

BradS
10-Feb-2007, 11:03
Hi Zach,

It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance. I'm also a software guy by day. I find myself in Israel on business about twice a year. Usually, near Tel-Aviv but also in Teffen occasionally. I'd be very interested to find a place in Tel-Aviv that processes E6 in 4x5.

Zach In Israel
10-Feb-2007, 12:47
Hi Zach,

It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance. I'm also a software guy by day. I find myself in Israel on business about twice a year. Usually, near Tel-Aviv but also in Teffen occasionally. I'd be very interested to find a place in Tel-Aviv that processes E6 in 4x5.

I'm sure there are a few places in TA that can do it, try www.sby.co.il, not sure if they can but worth a shot. phone 972 3 566 0135.

To be honest I work in Jerusalem, and don't get to TA very often.

And its a very pretty country, right now where I live (in the hills north of Jerusalem) the almond trees are in bloom, which is just very pretty.

dominikus bw
14-Feb-2007, 14:35
Hi Zach, welcome to LF
I also used Sinar, F1 model, it's one of the solid monorail cameras.
If you constantly used 50mm in format 35mm or 75-80mm in medium format, i think 150mm by any brand is good enough to start.
And if you need Instuction Manual for Sinar Camera, just visit Sinar website and ask them, they will send you free manual, my manual arrived last month.

regard
Dominikus BW

Zach In Israel
16-Feb-2007, 04:32
Hi Zach, welcome to LF
I also used Sinar, F1 model, it's one of the solid monorail cameras.
If you constantly used 50mm in format 35mm or 75-80mm in medium format, i think 150mm by any brand is good enough to start.
And if you need Instuction Manual for Sinar Camera, just visit Sinar website and ask them, they will send you free manual, my manual arrived last month.

regard
Dominikus BW

My Rollei has a 80mm lens, and I love it, so yea I figure a 150-180mm lens should work, now I just need to find one I can afford.

neil poulsen
16-Feb-2007, 06:13
Your photos are wide angle. If this is what you prefer, you might consider a 120mm super-wide, like the 121mm f8 single-coated Super Angulon or the 120mm f8 multi-coated lens. Nikon and Rodenstock also have their equivalents. Super-wides in this focal length have tremendous movement. The 121mm will cover 8x10 on axis. The 120mm is almost the same.

By the way, this focal length is a moderate wide-angle lens on 4x5. It's called a "super" wide because of it's large image circle.

Ben R
10-Apr-2007, 15:00
Hi Zack,

I actually just posted a thread on the resources forum looking for somewhere in Israel that sells sheet film (4X5), where are you buying it from, what is the cost and what is available?

I used to manage a lab in Bet Shemesh and came away from it with a serious lack of respect for labs in Israel (gloves, who needs gloves!) but would love to be able to develop there if you have a decent lab that does B&W sheet film and you can actually discuss it with the guy, not have it sent away to a faceless lab in Tel Aviv somewhere.

I'm going to be moving back to Jeru in December, maybe we'll get in touch and go shooting sometime.

Beni

Zach In Israel
10-Apr-2007, 22:32
Hi Zack,

I actually just posted a thread on the resources forum looking for somewhere in Israel that sells sheet film (4X5), where are you buying it from, what is the cost and what is available?

I used to manage a lab in Bet Shemesh and came away from it with a serious lack of respect for labs in Israel (gloves, who needs gloves!) but would love to be able to develop there if you have a decent lab that does B&W sheet film and you can actually discuss it with the guy, not have it sent away to a faceless lab in Tel Aviv somewhere.

I'm going to be moving back to Jeru in December, maybe we'll get in touch and go shooting sometime.

Beni

I get my film at Prizma, which is on Yaffo across from Kikar Tzion (Zion square). They have 4x5 and a decent selection of 120 format film. The box of Velvia was 151 NIS. If you are dependent on something very specific probably best to call them before you head over. They are quite friendly and helpful. I don't think they develop B&W or E-6 in house. If you are doing B&W I would think that your best bet is to develop it yourself. They do have chemistry if you need.

I would love to shoot together. despite the fact that I have a good bit of equipment I'm really quite a newby.

BTW where art you now?
--Zach
(I work in Talpoit)

Ben R
11-Apr-2007, 02:19
Hi Zach, seems we're working on two different threads here!

I'm currently in the UK but am moving back in December. I've been shooting full time as a pro for some 7 years or so but am a complete newby at LF.

Zach In Israel
11-Apr-2007, 05:56
OK moving over to the other thread (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=24860)