PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new lens

Fred Braakman
8-Feb-2007, 21:59
Hi,
I am considering buying a new lens, looking for a 120 or 135 mm with good coverage. I currently shoot a 90mm Rodenstock, and the next lens I use is a 150 Rodenstock. I quite often find that my 90 mm is too wide, but the 150 is not wide enough. I shoot landscapes predominantly. Any opinion on which to go for, a 120 or a 135? I can't rent one where I live, since they are not available locally.

Badger has a new Fujinon 125mm F5.6 for $635. The image circle is 204 mm. Kerry Thalman likes the Fujinon lenses, but he does not discuss this lens on his web site. It seems like a real good price.
Badger also lists the Rodenstock APO-Sironar-S, 135mm, 5.6, for $810. Kerry has this lens as one of his favorites. It has 208 mm image circle.

Any opinions on these 2 lenses?

Fred

william linne
8-Feb-2007, 22:08
Hi,

Take my opinion with a grain of salt as I don't know much. I've shot both lenses, however. If I was going to shoot wide open or within a stop or stop 1/2 of wide open, I'd go with the Fuji. It's out of focus characteristics always appealed to me more. Stopped down a bit more, you can't really go wrong with the biting sharpness of the Sironar-S series. I think they might be the sharpest LF lenses I've ever used, if sharpness is your main goal.

W.

David Karp
8-Feb-2007, 22:12
Kerry mentions the 125 CM-W here: http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/wide.htm

Everyone is different, so take this with a grain of salt. I think that 135mm seems closer to a 150mm than a 125mm seems to a 90mm, if that makes any sense. I went with a 125mm Fujinon NW, which is the predecessor to the CM-W you are considering. It is smaller (52mm filters) and one of my two favorite lenses. The image circle is smaller (198mm) than the new version.

I reall like the 125mm focal length. It suits me well.

Oren Grad
9-Feb-2007, 08:21
I don't know whether we're going to be much help. Unlike William, I much prefer the OOF rendering of the Apo-Sironar-S to that of the Fujinon. And unliike David, I prefer the 135mm focal length to the 125.

There's no right answer - just a best match to one's own tastes. Experience is the best teacher. Make your best guess, then buy a used lens in that focal length at a much lower price, so that if it turns out not to work for you you can trade or re-sell it at minimal or no financial loss. Consider it the closest equivalent to renting. You can always buy a new one later once you have a clearer sense of your own needs and preferences.

David Karp
9-Feb-2007, 10:05
I don't know whether we're going to be much help. . . .

There's no right answer - just a best match to one's own tastes. . . .

Oren is right. We can only tell you what we like.

Try buying from Jim at Midwest Photo Exchange. Give him a call. Talk to him. He will sell you a lens, and if you pick a 125 and wish you grabbed a 135, he will take it back in exchange for a 135 he has in stock (so long as you don't drop it or scratch the glass with a nail or something like that). Great guy, great to deal with, excellent inventory of spotless used lenses.

Ralph Barker
9-Feb-2007, 10:33
Or, buy both so you can make a direct personal comparison, with the understanding that you'll be returning one of them for a refund.

Oren Grad
9-Feb-2007, 10:41
Or, buy both so you can make a direct personal comparison, with the understanding that you'll be returning one of them for a refund.

I'd quibble just a bit with this. Especially if one has limited experience, I don't think it's possible to really understand a new lens, or a comparison involving more than one new lens, within the return period reasonably available from a dealer. Yes, if you have a very specific requirement for which you can test immediately against a predefined metric, but no, if you're not really sure what you're looking for.

Mark Stahlke
9-Feb-2007, 11:30
Hi Fred,

I know exactly where you're coming from. I started out with a 90mm and a 150mm and immediately felt a need for something in between them. I went with a Fuji CMW 125mm and I have no regrets.

A couple of points to ponder:
Which lens, the 90mm or the 150mm, do you use the most?
When your 90mm is too wide, is it much too wide or only a little too wide?
Similarly, when your 150 is too long, is it much too long or only a little too long?

Cheers,
Mark

Nick_3536
9-Feb-2007, 11:33
If you can find one a Nikon 120 SW F/8.0 At least you won't have to worry about coverage.

Ed Richards
9-Feb-2007, 11:45
I know this is heresy, but with the 125 you only need to crop a little to have the 135 view if you need it. You cannot go the other way.

It is interesting to see how tastes vary. I find the 90-150 spacing about right, using a 65-90-15-400 lens series. I am usually shooting details in the landscape rather than grand vistas, thus I can move around a bit to reframe.

David Karp
9-Feb-2007, 16:07
If you can find one a Nikon 120 SW F/8.0 At least you won't have to worry about coverage.

Great lens. Much heavier than the Fuji 125 with way more movement - Covers 8x10.

steve simmons
9-Feb-2007, 16:12
The question

"I am considering buying a new lens, looking for a 120 or 135 mm with good coverage. I currently shoot a 90mm Rodenstock, and the next lens I use is a 150 Rodenstock. I quite often find that my 90 mm is too wide, but the 150 is not wide enough. I shoot landscapes predominantly"

The best answer so far

"I know this is heresy, but with the 125 you only need to crop a little to have the 135 view if you need it. You cannot go the other way."

Wish I'd said this myself.

The 135, IMHO, is too close to the 150. The 120-125 is a much better split.

steve simmons

walter23
9-Feb-2007, 17:42
Consider saving yourself a few hundred dollars and looking at Caltar branded lenses on ebay. These are big name lenses rebadged for calumet photo - they're exactly the same lenses. I only have caltar lenses (caltar-II N 90/6.8 and caltar-II N 210/5.6) and they're fantastic.

With some research you can figure out which rodenstock (or occasionally schneider) a particular caltar corresponds to.

I think there's a caltar 135 listed right now.

David Karp
9-Feb-2007, 18:05
With some research you can figure out which rodenstock (or occasionally schneider) a particular caltar corresponds to.

The best way to know for sure who made a Caltar lens is to read Kerry Thalmann's article on Caltar lenses in View Camera magazine. I think it ran a few years ago. It will tell you how to identify any Caltar. I have three of them. One is a Schneider, the rest are Rodenstocks, all fine lenses.

Keith Pitman
9-Feb-2007, 18:25
I have a 120 Super Angulon that was my favorite lens for a long time. I stopped carrying it because it is large, heavy, and uses 82 mm filters. Nevertheless, I would recommend this lens highly. I really like it's perspective. Now I am using a 135 Caltar II (aka Rodenstock Sironar N). It works very well for me and it's very small and lightweight. I forget its filter size, but I have it adapted to 67 mm. For what it's worth . . .

Fred Braakman
9-Feb-2007, 22:06
Hi Guys,
Thanks for the input. I am leaning to the 125 Fuji, since the 135 Rodenstock may be too close to the 150. I shoot about the same number with my 90 as I do my 150, but I tend to print more of the 150 mm shots. I feel that the 90 mm shots appeal to me more if they are close ups. The grand vista shots seem to be more appealing to me using the 150 than the 90.
I will also look at the Caltars. Are they as lightweight as the Fuji and the Rodenstock?

Thanks

naturephoto1
9-Feb-2007, 22:15
Hi Fred,

Be aware that a disadvantage of the Fuji f5.6 125mm lens is that it takes 67mm filters.

Rich

Sheldon N
9-Feb-2007, 22:31
If you buy an older version of the Fuji 125mm (not the CM-W) then you get a much smaller lens with 52mm filter size.

Here's a nice one on Ebay for $265 buy it now. Auction 320080805043.

If you must have a new lens, get the 120mm Schneider APO Symmar-L.

David Karp
10-Feb-2007, 08:35
If you buy an older version of the Fuji 125mm (not the CM-W) then you get a much smaller lens with 52mm filter size.

Here's a nice one on Ebay for $265 buy it now. Auction 320080805043.

If you must have a new lens, get the 120mm Schneider APO Symmar-L.

Fred,

Remember, you gain in smaller filter size with the older Fujinon NW 125mm f/5.6, but you lose because the image circle is smaller, under 200mm. I have an older one, and really like it a lot. I have seen these lenses selling for more on EBay than I paid Jim Andracki at MPEX for mine. I would give him a call first. If he does not have one in stock, he can usually find one for you. He also sells new Fujinons.

Matus Kalisky
11-Feb-2007, 06:34
Hi Fred,

I do own Fujinon 125/5.6 CMW and I like it. I did not use any other lens in the similar focal lenght and my only other lens is Caltar E II 210/6.8. My experience with LF is up to now rahter small (some 40 - 50 photos). I have to admit I was considering Apo Symmar L 120 as it is a really small lens (It was out of my price range - I was buying used), although the coverage noted is a bit smaller - but the users confirm that the actual one is somewhat more. The think to consider is the filter size of the fuji 67mm - but this is also thi filter size of the 75/5.6 lenses I am considering to get, so it does not bother me. And I can still fold it inside my Tachihara 45.

I personally do not thing that there will be much difference wisible once comapred to other lenses, but if I were you I would not hesitate to buy used. Caltars in this focal range - called Caltar II N - are up to my knowledge all Rodenstock Apo Sironar N lenses.

Matus

naturephoto1
11-Feb-2007, 16:39
Does anyone recognize if the lens that Sheldon referenced is multicoated and the correct filter size of the following:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=011&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=320080805043&rd=1&rd=1

When I queried the seller, he indicated that the lens had more than one coating, but not the latest EBC multicoatings and that the filter size was about 49mm.

Thanks very much.

Rich

Matus Kalisky
12-Feb-2007, 01:21
Hi naturephoto1,

according to this (http://members.aol.com/subgallery/) web page this lens is EBC multicoated and it covers 198mm. Note that Fuji was never putting th "NW" label on the lens. Both "W" and "NW" lenses were marked only "W". But the main difference is that the "N" lenses are in most cases mounted in the Seiko shutters and are marked inside the filter thread and and are singlecoated. The multicaoted (EBC) ones are usually in Copal shutters and marked on the lens barrel. Interesting difference that the older and singlecoated lenses usually cover a bit more than the newer ones.

Concerning the lens you are asking about - there are 2 different 125 "NW" lenses on this webapge with the filter thread size being the only difference (46mm versus 55mm) For the larger one there is a pic and is seems to be the same as the one you mentioned.

I hope this helps. Keep in mind that all of the information I have mentioned here comes from this forum and the mentioned webpage. No experimence of mine.

Matus.