PDA

View Full Version : Walker Evans interview

tim atherton
7-Feb-2007, 18:24
I was just putting together a blog on Walker Evans and came across a short 5 minute interview with him. I've looked at so many of his photos and read his words, it was interesting to actually hear him speak. Nothing terribly profound, but interesting nevertheless

It's at the bottom of the post:

http://photo-muse.blogspot.com/

Brian Ellis
7-Feb-2007, 20:17
I got a "web page cannot be displayed" message when I clicked on it.

Oren Grad
7-Feb-2007, 20:30
Brian, clicking on the link automatically opened the RealOne player on my PC and started playing the interview file. Is it possible that you don't have a compatible AV player installed on your machine?

tim atherton
7-Feb-2007, 20:40
yes - it's a Real Player file - you need Real Player to get it to work

I'll see if can find the old link to the Getty page as well - it had a slower connection version as well I think

Ken Lee
7-Feb-2007, 20:44
Thanks for the link !

John Flavell
7-Feb-2007, 20:52
Great link and a great blog scheme going on. Damn, that takes work.

Turner Reich
8-Feb-2007, 02:33
I can only say thank you very much, I have read so much of the original photographers and this one is a gem. Walker Evans in that short clip, to hear his voice, is fantastic. The entire film on Edward Weston was shot without the benefit of hearing his voice. Again, thank you for the link and the site.

Scott Knowles
8-Feb-2007, 05:09
Is the real player file yours or elsewhere? If it's elsewhere, it's usually better to just link to the file, letting the viewer decide to go there to get the file. I suggest this because most audio and all video files are in Mbytes which are slow to load, especially along with the many images you have on the Web page. Downloading 60+ images and a large audio file hiccups some connections, and in my case, I can make and eat breakfast, and wash the dishes before it finishes.

But in the end, I like the Website, writing and images. And thanks for finding the interview. I like Walker Evans work.

Gudmundur Ingolfsson
8-Feb-2007, 06:26
Thanks to Tim Atherton for feeding us with his interesting blogs.

Patrik Roseen
8-Feb-2007, 08:30
Thanks for the link!

As part of the LF-Gathering in Stockholm July 2006 (Thanks Teddan for organizing!) we visited one exhibition of 'Walker Evans meets Sune Jonsson' and another one of 'Garbo portraits'.

With only a few hours between the exhibitions it struck me that the 'share croppers of W Evans' and many of the Garbo promotion photos originated from the same time (early 1930's).

I'm not sure if the share-croppers ever had the opportunity to see any Garbo pictures in the cinema, but the difference in worlds was striking. I'm sure Walker Evans new the difference...I wonder if Garbo did?

Do I know the difference in life situations around the world today? Hmmm....

tim atherton
8-Feb-2007, 09:04
Is the real player file yours or elsewhere? If it's elsewhere, it's usually better to just link to the file, letting the viewer decide to go there to get the file. I suggest this because most audio and all video files are in Mbytes which are slow to load, especially along with the many images you have on the Web page. Downloading 60+ images and a large audio file hiccups some connections, and in my case, I can make and eat breakfast, and wash the dishes before it finishes.

But in the end, I like the Website, writing and images. And thanks for finding the interview. I like Walker Evans work.

it's a streaming video or whatever it's called - all you can do is link to the site and let it run through your real player

you can click on the "Walker Eavns in his own words" link at the bottom of the page here and, I think, opt for a slower connection which might help

http://www.getty.edu/art/exhibitions/evans/

Bill_1856
8-Feb-2007, 17:54
Thanks.