PDA

View Full Version : suggestions for places for sunset/sunrise shots near Portland, OR

James Chow
24-May-2000, 21:33
Does anyone have any suggestions for favorite spots from which to shoot Mt. St. Helens and Mt. Hood at sunrise/sunset?

neil poulsen
24-May-2000, 23:27
Mt. St. Helens and Mt. Hood.: The Japanese gardens in Washington Park, from near the large Lodge/Tea House. Also from Rocky Pt. in East Portland.

I don't know how much time you have, but it would be interesting to travel to Mt. St. Helens. There are paths that have good view-points of the mountain, the dome inside the crater, the surrounding area, etc. It's about a 6 hour trip. There aren't that many paths, but they're strategically placed.

It might also be interesting to set up your camera on one of the bridges on the Willamette; there are good vantage points on the east side of Portland, facing the downtown area in the West. This same locations makes for some good sunrise shots.

Another worthwhile trip while in Portland is to Powell Book Store on S.W. 11th and Burnside. It's one of the largest bookstores in the country, and they have a large selection of new and used books. (100's & 100's.) They have parking in the building itself.

The Oregon Coast is 1 1/2 - 2 hours away from the downtown area. There's some great places to take photos from Lincoln City and south. e.g. the dunes, Cape Perpetua, Seal Rock is interesting, Cape Foulweather. (Some of these areas are further south, 3-4 hours away.)

neil poulsen
24-May-2000, 23:30
100's of photography books on the 3rd floor.

neil poulsen
24-May-2000, 23:39
Check out the galleries in the Pearl District in N.W. Portland. A good example is S.K. Josefsberg. They've had some great exhibits. Check Friday's Oregonian for the A&E section; the last few pages.

Alex Corbishley
25-May-2000, 03:17
Good luck with the weather when you are there! I was there for four days and tried to capture the mtn from the Tea garden and the rose garden area and no luck - clouds every evening.

There are some good places along the east shore of the river to shoot the city at dusk. There is a large amount of construction along the river but by the OMSI (spelling?) there is a nice walkway that has a good view of the city. Good if you like night shots....

Best of luck!

Saulius
6-Jun-2000, 04:23
Regarding capturing mountain vistas without overcast skies, your best bet is trying from end of July into mid to late September. That is the best time of year in Portland area for clear skies.

Z1X4Y7
6-Jun-2000, 12:32
Well you learn something every day. I have been in Portland 5 times this winter. I wasn't aware that they had a sun :^)

I know that Mt Hood is there; I skied it. I've just never seen it.

Best wishes,,,,,

Z