PDA

View Full Version : 5x7 camere advice needed

Jan_6568
6-Feb-2007, 13:57
I am thinking of selling my both 4x5 Tahichara and 5x7 Century Grand to repleace them with one 5x7 camera that I could add reducing back to. I think I need some advice and opinion form experts/users.
I need a camera which would be portable enough for a day hikes but on the other hand would be flexible for studio work and close-ups.
I think of two: the new 5x7 Shen-hao and Gowland 5x7 monorail. The latter is, as far as I know, no longer in production so it might be pretty hard to get one. I am also not sure if there is a reducing back for Gowland. I think I prefer Shen-hao over Tachihara for more movements it gives. Maybe some of you could share an opinion, or may be there is another camera out there I did not think of. I am limited to some 1200-1300 budget.

Jan

Scott Davis
6-Feb-2007, 14:30
I would recommend the Shen-Hao, based on my (very satisfied) experience with their 4x5. The Shens are very rugged, very pretty, and thoughtfully designed. The little 4x5 has more movements than some monorails, folds up nicely, and can even keep a lens mounted when closed, depending on the lens. Mine has been taken to some pretty rugged places and held up extremely well. Another good feature about the Shens is the accessories - they are very inexpensive, and well made. The bag bellows is quite cheap, and is made of real leather. They take the Linhof/Wista lensboards, so odds are you already have lensboards to fit.

I would also keep my eye out (and make a few phonecalls to Midwest Photo and the like) for a used Canham woodfield 5x7. I got my Canham Woodfield 5x7 with 4x5 reducing back for $1500, which is a little more than your stated budget, but would be worth the extra if you can. The Canham 5x7 weighs about the same as my Shen-Hao 4x5 (6 lbs). Having a camera so light to haul around makes a big difference.

C. D. Keth
6-Feb-2007, 15:03
Scott's is very good advice for your budget range. I thought of a Gowland and they seem very unstable for most shooting conditions. I think a Shen Hao would make you happy. I'm very happy with my 4x5 shen.

Bill_1856
6-Feb-2007, 16:45
Does the 5x7 Shen come with a Fresnel screen?

C. D. Keth
6-Feb-2007, 16:47
I don't believe so, my 4x5 didn't. The gg is quite fine and bright and if you want a fresnel, it's simple enough to get one. I wouldn't hinge your decision on an accessory that can be added so easily.

Jan_6568
6-Feb-2007, 16:50
Does the 5x7 Shen come with a Fresnel screen?
I asked Jeff at Badger Graphics and no, it does not

Jan

htswv
6-Feb-2007, 18:19
The Shen Hao looks like a nice camera but I'll second the vote for a used Canham 5x7.

Ted Harris
6-Feb-2007, 18:26
The Canham Wood 5x7 is my everyday 5x7. I've been using mine day in an day out for 11 years. Highly recommend same. I also own and use a Gowland PocketView 5x7; if you want ultimate lightweight this is it. Yes, if you find one Peter does
have a reducing back.

cobalt
6-Feb-2007, 18:46
I recently purchased a used 5x7 Tachihara with an exceptionally long (likely special order) extension rail. After letting it sit around being a few days (it's pretty, and looks quite fragile, so I was a bit reluctant to use it.), I found it to be an exceptionally nice camera to use. Adapter board was $99, and allows use of Technika lensboards. Movements are limited, but it is quite a tough little camera. Only weighs about 7-8 lbs. If I had the chance to do it all over again, I'd still buy the Tachi. No complaints, other than it is a bit on the pretty side...

John Kasaian
6-Feb-2007, 19:29
A Deardorff Special will do what you want.

Herb Cunningham
6-Feb-2007, 19:38
I had a Shen 4x5 and a 5x7 sold both. Have two canhams, 5x7 and 8x10. will keep both.

Canham quality several notches better.

Keith gives excellent usa service, can make a special part, etc etc.

Jan_6568
6-Feb-2007, 20:04
The Canham Wood 5x7 is my everyday 5x7. I've been using mine day in an day out for 11 years. Highly recommend same. I also own and use a Gowland PocketView 5x7; if you want ultimate lightweight this is it. Yes, if you find one Peter does
have a reducing back.

Ted,
what do you think of your Gowland? Is it enough sturdy? How easy it is to work with movements controlled by single knob? I understand that you can add extension rod to the monorail but what would be maximum extension bellows allows?

I saw on Peter Gowland's web page that he still offers 5x7 Pocket View, the one with "revolving" back. He also makes reducing backs. I thought he offered 5x7s no longer and it would be quite hard to find used one.

Jan

Capocheny
6-Feb-2007, 21:31
Jan,

I'll second John K's recommendation of the Dorff Special... it's a great camera and is quite manageable weight-wise.

They are a tad bit harder to find these days but, IMHO, it's well worth searching for!

BTW, I love mine. :)

Cheers

Ted Harris
7-Feb-2007, 07:21
Ted,
what do you think of your Gowland? Is it enough sturdy? How easy it is to work with movements controlled by single knob? I understand that you can add extension rod to the monorail but what would be maximum extension bellows allows?

I saw on Peter Gowland's web page that he still offers 5x7 Pocket View, the one with "revolving" back. He also makes reducing backs. I thought he offered 5x7s no longer and it would be quite hard to find used one.

Jan

First, i am prejudiced. As most here know, Peter is a friend. Second the Gowlandis a very specialized camera for special purposes. It is sturdy enough but not rock solid but that is the tradeoff for ultimate lightweight. The movements are more difficult to work than on may other cameras but not hard once you are used to them ... another tradeoff. As to the maximum extension I will have to go measure later today but it is not a hugely long extension, my guess would be somewhere around 300/360 as the longest lens. I seldom use the second rail, just mount a 150 on it and leave it alone.

As far as availability, there are no new 5x7's available and he won't be making any more (AFAIK there are no 4x5 Pocket Views either). I was with Petr & Alice two weeks ago and there didn't seem to be any Pocket Views around, he had had one 5x7 which he told me he sold a few months ago. He is working on 4x5 Gowlandflexes and that will the end of new Gowlands. Remember, Peter will be 91 in a few months! He does have plent of spare parts around and, yes,does have reducing backs for the 5x7 and 8x10 Pocket Views.

If you have your heart set on a 5x7 they do come up used if you have patience. However, I want to stress again that this is not a camera of everyone or for all times and places. Chances are you will pay a premium for one and it will give you far mor elimited capabilities than the Canham I and others ahve been recommending. OTOH, there is nothing that comes close in terms of weight and compactness and if that is your goal then go for it. If you are seriously interested in a 5x7 Gowland I know where there may be one for sale, send me an email or PM. Again, be sure this is the right choice for you. If I wanted to shoot from 90 to 450 or longer it wouldn'd be with the Gowland. If I was happy shooting from wide to 240 then the Gowland would be perfect IF I also wanted the light weight. It takes a bit of time to setup if you are carrying it fully disassembled but if partially assembled sets up quick. Just want you to get a feel for all its pluses and minuses. Peter built a superb lightweight, do everything camera but he did so with tradeoffs and tradeoffs that are not necessarily for everyone.

Stephen Willard
7-Feb-2007, 17:19
Reducing backs move the GG further out from the back of the camera body. Thus, a 75mm lens may not work simply because you would not be able to get the lens close enough to the reducing back GG due to the bellows. Most likely you would need a negative bellows extension from zero to get a 75mm lens close enough and most bellows will not do do such a thing.

Ted Harris
7-Feb-2007, 18:04
Reducing backs move the GG further out from the back of the camera body. Thus, a 75mm lens may not work simply because you would not be able to get the lens close enough to the reducing back GG due to the bellows. Most likely you would need a negative bellows extension from zero to get a 75mm lens close enough and most bellows will not do do such a thing.

Sometimes the case (frequently) but not always, depends on the design.

Stephen Willard
7-Feb-2007, 21:43
Now that I think of it, you may be able to solve the problem (if it exists) of not being able to using a 75mm lens with a bag bellows. I believe a bag bellows will allow negative extension.

Turner Reich
7-Feb-2007, 22:49
The Canham Wood 5x7 with a reducing back would certainly be a great solution. That's the route I would/will be taking soon.

David Karp
8-Feb-2007, 00:12
A Deardorff Special will do what you want.

I went on a photo shoot with a friend and another friend of his. He had a Deardorff special with the revolving 4x5 back and a 5x7 back. Very nice.

Vaughn
8-Feb-2007, 02:06
I used a knock-off of a Deardorf Special, with both 4x5 and 5x7 backs. It is a good combination. I only used it with a 210mm lens.

I also used a Gowland 4x5 for many years, which I really like. I do not shoot much 4x5 these days, but the Gowland is always ready if I do. I have lent it out once or twice -- but the borrowers never asked to use it again. Like Ted said, it is not the camera for everyone, but it is well made and well thought out in its own quirky way. Optimally, you should use one before you committ to buy it.

Good luck in finding something that fits all your needs!

Vaughn

Jim Noel
8-Feb-2007, 09:00
My 60+ year old Deardorff 5x7 has served me well for most of its life. I also have a 4x5 back for it which actually makes it essentially the Deardorff 4x5 Special. I even have the unusual, I hesitate to say rare, 2 1/4 X 3 1/4 back for it.

By the way, the original bellows is stilll in excellent condition.

Jan_6568
8-Feb-2007, 19:27
I do not really need wide angle lenses. The wides I use for 4x5 is 135mm and I use it only rearly, it is too wide for me. So I think reducing back will not be a problem.

I am more and more set for Gowland. The problem is that it is not very common camera and it seems quite hard to find used one. The new is a little out of my budget.

Vaughn - why do you say (like Ted) it is not for everyone. I think I do not understand where the problem might be. It seems lightweight, has plenty of movements...
I have no opportunity to use it before I decide so please, let me know more.

Jan

John Kasaian
9-Feb-2007, 01:34
I do not really need wide angle lenses. The wides I use for 4x5 is 135mm and I use it only rearly, it is too wide for me. So I think reducing back will not be a problem.

I am more and more set for Gowland. The problem is that it is not very common camera and it seems quite hard to find used one. The new is a little out of my budget.

Vaughn - why do you say (like Ted) it is not for everyone. I think I do not understand where the problem might be. It seems lightweight, has plenty of movements...

Jan

Jan,

Gowlands are fine cameras, but nearly all of them are special in one way or another. They are very useable (I have an 8x10) but they aren't like your normal monorail--for example you probably won't find geared movements and some models use hex keys instead of knobs. These innovations go a long way towards making Gowlands what they are---very lightwieght and compact. If that is what you want then you probably want a Gowland, but they are nothing like, say Sinars or Arca Swiss.

A "plus" thing about Gowlands are that they are so light, you won't need a heavy tripod to support one.

A "negative" thing about Gowlands is that they are so light, even a light wind can cause issues (except for maybe the 8x10 TLR!)

If I were going to shoot in the Pribiloffs, the Colorado Plateau, or Chicago I'd take a Deardorff. If I were going to backpack across China or Europe, I'd take a Gowland.

If you want a Gowland, give Peter a call--his tel.# is on his website. Sometimes he refurbishes used ones. If not, He's still a great gentleman to speak with, especially about his cameras!

Vaughn
9-Feb-2007, 12:18

Jan

One complaint I got was there were no indents for knowing that all movements were in their "neutral" positions. This does not bother me as one can line up the movements pretty close without them, and I can judge alignment by the image on the GG.

The need for an allen wrench for some of the movements turns some folks off. Many have replaced the allen-headed screws with knobs (I have done this with the front standard for tilt, and if I used it more instead of my 8x10, I would also replace the ones on the back standards). My Gowland, bought new from Calumet for $220 in the early 80's, came with a landyard for putting the allen wrench around one's neck -- I still have the same one after 20+ years...but keep a couple extra in the camera bag "just in case".

No revolving back (on my model). But it is light enough to tilt 90 degrees on the tripod. If one shoots more of hort than vertical (or the other way around), the camera can be set up to be in that orientation.

It is not a tank. But it is not prone to damage. Some folks want something that is rock steady, and are willing to pay the extra price in weight. I used a Gitzo 300 series pod and #2 ballhead. I had no problem with camera shake under normal conditions.

It is not in its own "box". I would disconnect the two rail pieces, loosen the swings and compress the camera into a small unit. With just a little practise, putting it back together is just as quick as setting up my Zone VI 8x10. It is also light enough to keep on the tripod as one wanders around (2.5 pounds with lens).

That's all I can think of now. Some of these charteristics are enough to turn people off the camera, for others, they are the positives that commend the camera.

Vaughn

Jan_6568
9-Feb-2007, 21:32
The Gowland is really tempting me. One more question - is there anything like 4x5 to 5x7 conversion kit or back for the Pocket View? There is 4x5 on e-bay now and I was thinking to try to get this one and "enlarge" it rather then to get reducing back for 5x7. Any thoughts?

Jan

Vaughn
10-Feb-2007, 12:22
Mine probably could not convert to a 5x7 -- perhaps one that had a rotating back would be possible. Since Mr. Gowland hand made these cameras, the variation between cameras is large. The model marketed thru Calumet when I bought mine is probably the lightest (only a 12' rail -- two 6" sections, pail handle back, and the bellows have a rectangular shape just big enough for 4x5). My bellows are also glued on -- not removable.

A call to Mr.Gowland with a description of the ebay camera might be the best way to go on this question. Now you got me wishing I could convert mine to 5x7!

Vaughn

Edited to add: Just looked at the camera on ebay -- it is identical to the one I have...down to the allen wrench on a landyard. Still might be worth calling Mr. Gowland -- he might have some ideas.

Jan_6568
10-Feb-2007, 21:52
I will, thanks a lot.

Jan