PDA

View Full Version : respirator?

false_Aesthetic
4-Feb-2007, 11:06
Hey,

The past few days I've been walking out of my darkroom a bit woozy and with a sore throat.

Either I have the avian flu or the chems are getting to me. I suspect its the 2nd esp because school ventilation SUX!!!!

I've made a request to have the vents checked, fixed and a louver installed. But this is a union school so I'm sure it won't attempted until until every electric outlet is checked with a screw driver, every loose floor tile glued back in place with Elmers, and every flickering lightbulb is replaced. . . . I've got a bit of waiting.

ANYWHO. A respirator seems like a good idea. Anyone have suggestions?

T

Alan Rabe
4-Feb-2007, 11:22
When I am doing toning I use a resperator made for pesticides. It is for fumes as opposed to dust which wouldn't do you a bit of good. You don't need the best, just a basic one will do. I use one made by AOSafety model R5700. Got it a Home Depot for under $30 bucks.

Colin Robertson
4-Feb-2007, 11:45
Hi False- what chemistry are you using?

Rob_5419
4-Feb-2007, 11:53
Sounds like a combination of various moulds in the room; legionella in the antiquated ventilation ducts as well as halide intoxication.

You might try a sports filter mask like the Respro City masks. These use activated carbon and last around a month in the city. They are comfortable to work and exercise with, so darkroom work won't be a problem.

Sounds like you might need some time to recover from the side-effects.

Ralph Barker
4-Feb-2007, 14:04
If you don't like wearing the pesticide-type respirator, you might consider calling the local TV station to "film" you entering the school darkroom in scuba gear. That might get quicker action by the school - either to fix the problem, or to ban you from the facility. ;)

Rob_5419
4-Feb-2007, 14:36
Ralph,

That's a sure way to ensure False-Aesthetic's school darkroom gets closed down for health & safety grounds and converted to a digital desk workstation.

Bruce Watson
4-Feb-2007, 14:39
A respirator seems like a good idea. Anyone have suggestions?

You might consider a half-mask respirator (http://www.labsafety.com/store/Safety_Supplies/Respirators/Air-Purifying_Respirators/29546/?noredirect=true). I suggest using both HEPA and activated charcoal cartridges to take out both airborn dust and mold spores and also organic fumes. You should be able to find such respirators at a local safety equipment vendor. Perhaps the school would be nice enough to supply you. Or perhaps you know someone in the Chemistry Dept who can help.

Charles Hohenstein
4-Feb-2007, 23:38
When I am doing toning I use a resperator made for pesticides. It is for fumes as opposed to dust which wouldn't do you a bit of good. You don't need the best, just a basic one will do. I use one made by AOSafety model R5700. Got it a Home Depot for under $30 bucks.

How well does it work on hydrogen sulfide from sepia toning? I can't imagine anybody going outside to do it with -30 degree wind chill.

John Powers
5-Feb-2007, 08:45
T,

I had the same problem four years ago with a local college darkroom. For me the best option was build a home darkroom with really good ventilation. If that is not an option for you I agree with earlier suggestions to use a facemask filter designed for the chemicals and other problems you are encountering. Three years ago I bought a rubber half mask with cartridge charcoal filters. Both are made by a company called Survivair. At the time B&H sold them. I don't see them using their search feature now. Perhaps they carry another brand, but I could not find it.

If your problem is allergy related it can easily expand to skin sensitivity. I say that not as an allergist, but one who has experienced it. Some darkroom chemicals can be very serious. There has been lots written here and at APUG.org. If you do have skin contact you might want to add Nitrile (purple) exam gloves to your protection. Walmart has them next to latex gloves which you don't want. Many pharmacies carry them as well. Hope this helps.

John

Louie Powell
5-Feb-2007, 08:56
Hey,

The past few days I've been walking out of my darkroom a bit woozy

T

Drinking the chemicals again?

Seriously, it is amazing the difference in air quality can make. When I first built my former darkroom, I did not include any ventillation. I found that I was absolutely exhausted after a couple of hours of work. Later, I installed a ventillator and doubled the amount of time that I could work without having to take a break.

Another example - this past weekend I woke up with a terrible sore throat on both Saturday and Sunday. Initially I thought it was a cold coming on, but just for chuckles I went downstairs to the furnace to check the setting on the humidifier. I found that it was essentially turned off, and within an hour or so of turning it back on, I was feeling normal again.

I don't know that a respirator would be the solution for you. If your school darkroom doesn't have ventillation, I suggest raising the issue with the school administration as a matter of safety. Installing ventillation is not expensive, and would be much cheaper than a lawsuit or an OSHA fine. Perhaps even offer to do some of the installation work if the school agrees to buy the materials.:)

On the other hand, if you make it sound too bad, they might just shut down the darkroom to avoid the problem. :(

neil poulsen
5-Feb-2007, 09:12
I got a full face mask for my darkroom and use it when I mix chemicals. One can attach a variety of filters, depending on the nature of exposure. It was just over $100 and worth it. These things cover the mouth and nose separately inside the mask, so that the mask itself doesn't fog. Your eyes also receive the same exposure.

While I attach a dust filter for dry chemicals, one can also get filters for fumes. If you're feeling the effects, don't go half measures when your health is at risk. Also consider that you can reach a level of intolerance where you can't tolerate ANY exposure, regardless of how small. Good bye avocation or vocation.

As Ralph suggested, these things look pretty space-age. Just using one in and around school might prompt your facilities people into action. It depends on their level of calcification.

John Powers has a good idea: "For me the best option was build a home darkroom with really good ventilation." Is there some way you could set up your own darkroom in a bathroom, or use a rental? Some rental places (if any exist in your area) give reduced rates for students.

Kirk Keyes
5-Feb-2007, 10:19
I fyou go the respirator route, make sure you get trained on how to use one, there's a little more finesse involved than yanking the straps to get it on!

Also, check with who you buy it from about the chemicals you are using and what cartridges to use. I'm pretty sure a "pesticide" filter (activated carbon) is not a good choice for use with a photographic toner.

Alan Rabe
5-Feb-2007, 14:02
"How well does it work on hydrogen sulfide from sepia toning? I can't imagine anybody going outside to do it with -30 degree wind chill."

I used mine about three weeks ago to tone 25 prints in a bedroom converted to darkroom. NO exhaust fan as yet. I could not detect any of the fumes that were quite prevailent in the room, and suffered no ill affects.

Ralph Barker
5-Feb-2007, 15:27
. . . and suffered no ill affects, ill affects, ill affects.

;)

domenico Foschi
5-Feb-2007, 15:59
I would discorage you to use a mask.
I can't imagine working hours with something heavy hanging from my nose.
Like someone else said I would recommend to the administration the installment of a fan, it won't cost more than $ 70 if you do the installment yourself buying a bathroom fan, installing it in a box that you can make with scraps of lumber and some flexible hose for the exhsaust.
Check the book "Build your own darkroom" for the project.

domenico Foschi
5-Feb-2007, 16:02
That would be "Build your own home darkroom".

Greg Lockrey
5-Feb-2007, 16:28
...and we are exhausting these chemical fumes where? The global warming types will be after you next.

domenico Foschi
5-Feb-2007, 17:55
ehi Greg....

Greg Lockrey
5-Feb-2007, 21:12
ehi Greg....

I speak English pretty well, and I can speak Italian fairly well, but I'm not familiar with the term "ehi" in either language, so I can't comment other than to say, "does the cat have your tongue?"

Bruce Schultz
6-Feb-2007, 09:14
Coincidentally, I've missed my 2nd day of work after 2 consecutive 6-hour days in the darkroom. I've got to do something about ventilation. I blame it on the fixer (alkaline). I didn't notice the temperature rising in the darkroom as the day progressed, or I probably would have turned the window air conditioner on which would have sucked fumes out since it's right over my sink.

Would a regular bathroom exhaust fan suffice?

I'm going to get/make another cylinder similar to a unicolor drum to for the fixing of 16x20 prints. I surmise an open tray probably releases vapor constantly, but keeping fixer in a closed container and pouring it into a cylinder would probably reduce that exposure. I use a drum for developing, but I don't want to pour fixer into it and then have to rinse it out for developing the next sheet of paper.

Colin Robertson
6-Feb-2007, 10:51
Okay, my darkroom is small, and has no ventilation other than opening the door regularly (yeah, I know . . ) BUT I can print all day with no ill effects at all. The only thing that did cause me a problem was stop bath. Switched to Fotospeed odourless, problem solved. All toning is done in the kitchen by an open window. Again, no problem. That's why I wondered just what chemistry people ARE suffering a reaction to.

domenico Foschi
6-Feb-2007, 13:17
I have worked without fan for years, but at some point I started to feel dizzy, especially in hot weather.
A fan did the trick, and definitely an odorless stop bath is a good choice.
If you want to keep printing, think about the future, our body does change and as it has been mentioned, I believe it has a cumulative effect.
Better safe than sorry, and remember that your best work comes later in life, don't miss that chance.
I have a fairly small darkroom, about 10x10 and a bathroom fan works fine.

Ralph Barker
6-Feb-2007, 16:18
If you're going to be buying and installing a bathroom fan, Bruce, you might look for one of the Panasonic units. The better models have a higher air-flow rate (~150cfm), and are much quieter than "normal" bath fans. When you install the fan, you'll also want to provide a light-tight air inlet, ideally filtered, too. When I did mine in the new house, I used a total of six of the small circular vents from Calumet, as I have raised-panel doors.

Bruce Schultz
6-Feb-2007, 16:35
Thanks Ralph. I probably was going to buy the cheapest I found, without even thinking about cfm.
Sounds like you're pretty familiar with the installation procedures. Why don't you leave cold and frozen NM and take a scenic trip to Louisiana to install my ventilation system?:D :D :D

Ralph Barker
6-Feb-2007, 16:40
Work?! :eek:

John Powers
7-Feb-2007, 09:31
Bruce,

YYou will find that the Panasonics are more expensive than most, but they are also the most quiet I have found. Think about spending hours cooped up with the normal bathroom fan, pretty noisy. These are called whisper fans for good reason. I have had three for about three years and like to be able to listen to music or simply think while I am working. They have a model that works well in the rafters making placement easy.

Even though I am in Ohio I found RE Williams in California a very good mail order source http://www.rewci.com/panvenfan.html

John

Bruce Schultz
7-Feb-2007, 10:32
Thanks for the help John. I'll give it a shot.

David Karp
7-Feb-2007, 10:38
One can attach a variety of filters, depending on the nature of exposure. . . .

While I attach a dust filter for dry chemicals, one can also get filters for fumes.

There is/was a book that covers health hazards in the darkroom, I think the title was "Overexposure." It has a section that talks about respirators. Neil is right. One mask/set of cartridges will not suit all purposes. The ones that filter out dry chemicals will not do the job on the mixed chemical vapors and vice versa.

I had a problem for a while after catching pneumonia. I could not spend any time in the darkroom without having a respiratory problem that often resulted in bronchitis. I started using a respirator in the darkroom and was able to work for hours with no problem. I will try to dig up my respirator and determine what kind of cartridges I used (based on the recommendations in the aforementioned book).