PDA

View Full Version : PMK 2nd Bath

Peter Lewin
3-Feb-2007, 20:17
(Question triggered by a thread over on APUG, and I've searched on "PMK Afterbath"): is there a definitive (or at least majority) opinion on whether or not to return negs to the used PMK after fixing? Has Gordon Hutchings weighed in on this question anywhere? I'm still using the "afterbath" but of course willing to change if it gives improved results (i.e. no loss of useful density, but reduction in overall fog).

Dave Aharonian
3-Feb-2007, 20:38
Gordon's instructions in "The Book of Pryo" specifically call for a pyro afterbath, where after fixing, the negs are soaked in the (used) developer for a period of 2 minutes with agitation at 30 second intervals. This is said to induce the formation of stain in the developed negative. I have always followed this procedure and my negs come out perfect. I have never skipped this step so I have no idea what happens if you omit it.

David A. Goldfarb
3-Feb-2007, 20:46
I think Gordon Hutchings' position on this, from reports of people who have attended workshops with him, is that the afterbath is unnecessary following an alkaline fix.

I don't do it anymore, and the result is less background stain.

bruce terry
3-Feb-2007, 21:17
Heard the same as David, did the same, negs do the same. You can probably forget the second bath and never look back.

Dave Aharonian
4-Feb-2007, 11:14
That' s interesting - I was unaware of this. I'll have to give it a try and see how it works out.

lee\c
4-Feb-2007, 13:25
I agree with David on Gordon Hutchings current position. The extra soak just adds to the over all stain of the neg and really does not add anything to the neg.

lee\c

Robert Hall
4-Feb-2007, 13:37
Agreed. Reuse of the developer only adds to base fog.

bob carnie
4-Feb-2007, 15:01
Sorry to disagree with the above , I think that if you skip the after bath you will notice increased visual grain in your enlargements.
Give it a try one with one without , identical image capture , small format so you see the grain when enlarged.
Won't stake a bet on this but I believe you will see a noticable difference in the enlarge print.

Jim MacKenzie
4-Feb-2007, 20:06
I've stopped the afterbath and notice no change in results.

I think it's especially unnecessary if you use an all-alkaline process (water stop, alkaline fix). If you use acid stop bath and fixer the afterbath may provide some benefit, but I don't know as I've never fixed PMK negatives in an acid fix.

steve simmons
4-Feb-2007, 20:14
If you use an alkiline fixer (TF4 or TF3) then you do not need the second bath. This is according to Gordon Hutchings, If you use a Rapid Fix or acid fix then maybe, depending to the alkilinity of your water. But generally, with a rapid fix or acid fix Hutchings recommends the second bath. I called Hutchings this evening Feb 4, 2007.

steve simmons

Peter Lewin
5-Feb-2007, 08:36
Thanks Steve, esp. for taking the time to call Gordon Hutchings! A definitive answer, I'll continue to use the 2nd bath as long as I'm using NH5 (non-hardened) fixer, and eliminate it when I mix up some alkaline fix.

Amund BLix Aaeng
5-Feb-2007, 08:50
Hmm, as I`m using Ilford Hypam fix, I`ll have to try that afterbath then...