PDA

View Full Version : contrast values - colour head

Joseph O'Neil
3-Feb-2007, 05:58
Dumb question time. I've been using Ilford filters in my old Omega for some of my variable contrast papers, but now that I have my new, used De Vere enlarger up and running and I might actually get to do some printing soon, I realize I don't have any colour charts for VC paper.

I do have an info sheet from Ilford showing Durst values for their paper, but do these value apply to DeVere, to other papers, or will I just have to spend a few nights playing with the yellow and magenta until I get it right for myself. :)

Any suggestions appreciated. Especially for Agfa VC, FB paper, I still have a pile of it on hand.

joe

Nick_3536
3-Feb-2007, 06:03
I'd guess DeVere uses Durst style numbers but I'm not sure. The other main choice is US style numbers.

OTOH I'd suggest just using any number for a starting point. Look at the print and then dial in more/less. The beauty of a colour head is you aren't stuck with grades. If you want a fraction more or less you can do it.

If you want to test then the Variable contrast book covers this. So does

http://www.butzi.net/articles/vcce.htm

false_Aesthetic
3-Feb-2007, 06:34
Attached is the info provided by Ilford for their FB warmtone paper.

Hope this helps.

t

Don Wallace
5-Feb-2007, 18:32
I do have an info sheet from Ilford showing Durst values for their paper, but do these value apply to DeVere, to other papers, or will I just have to spend a few nights playing with the yellow and magenta until I get it right for myself. :)

Joe, DeVere uses the Kodak filtration. If you check online for different papers, they should give you a chart with the right exposure. You will find that all your negatives are about 1 grade too soft now. You need to develop to a higher contrast for a diffusion head.

I just got my DeVere up and running and started to print a few weeks ago. I am also in Ontario and there has been a real flood of DeVeres around here. What's up? Anyway, I am going through a calibration process right now for a few different papers. We should stay in touch.

Joseph O'Neil
6-Feb-2007, 16:12
Joe, DeVere uses the Kodak filtration. If you check online for different papers, they should give you a chart with the right exposure. You will find that all your negatives are about 1 grade too soft now. You need to develop to a higher contrast for a diffusion head.

I just got my DeVere up and running and started to print a few weeks ago. I am also in Ontario and there has been a real flood of DeVeres around here. What's up? Anyway, I am going through a calibration process right now for a few different papers. We should stay in touch.

Hi;
It was actually ammounced on this list not long ago, Toronto Image Works cleared out a pile of 504 DeVeres at $50 each (plus taxes, of course. ).

Mine was well beat up, but certianly useable. It really needed a lot of cleaning. The advice to take out the fan on the colour head and blow that area out resulted in a dust cloud bigger than a volcano erupting, but things are good now.

Anyhow, got my Kodak colour chart for my papers, so many thanks to everyone, not just need some time to start printing. :)
joe

HI;

Duncwarw
10-Feb-2007, 09:35
That's where I got my L1200. Lovely piece and well worth the trip from NY.
Now all I need is the other half of the 6 X 7 femoneg plate.;)

There's a chart of filter values taped on my enlarger. A free bonus I guess.