PDA

View Full Version : replacing scanner glass.

false_Aesthetic
31-Jan-2007, 09:01
Anyone ever tried replacing the glass on their scanner by themselves?

Specifically a 4990 (past warrenty).

Thanks
T

Doug Fisher
31-Jan-2007, 22:13
I have removed the glass on an Epson 3200 which is basically the same shell/glass concept as the 4990. Once you get the shell apart, the glass is partially secured via a few clips which need to be removed carefully so as to not break them. Then you need to finish separating the glass from the shell (held by a sticky foam tape). I found small right-angle screw driver was the best "prybar." Just work your way around the edges very slowly to pry it gently apart.

To reassemble with the new sheet of glass, you will have to get all of the sticky foam tape off of the shell and then find a new adhesive that is approximately the same thickness - or find the closest thing and test+shim your holder to compensate so that it is back to the optimal height from the optics. Inregard to the replacement foam, it is better to go slightly thicker if you can't find an exact match because that can be compensated for via shimming the holder (calibrated shims, cut consistent sheet material, etc.) . Thinner foam could not be as easily compsensated for because it would necessitate your holder become thinner. Its easier to make it "thicker." :)

Whatever you do, don't put any marks or damage on the white calibration strip found on the underside of the shell toward the front of the scanner.

Doug
---
www.BetterScanning.com

Ted Harris
1-Feb-2007, 09:02
Another question is how far past warrenty? If it is only a few months it is worth a call to Epson customer service with some firm whining that they replace the unit for you ....

Hugh Sakols
2-Feb-2007, 17:50
I was inquiring about a new glass holder for my scanner and came accross this:
http://fpointinc.com/glass.htm