PDA

View Full Version : Loupe that stays adjusted

Ed Richards
31-Jan-2007, 08:17
I have a couple of loupes that adjust by screwing in and out of their cylindrical sleeve. Unfortunately, they drift, so pretty soon I find that they are out of adjustment and I cannot see the focus clearly. Are there any ground glass loupes that have a locking adjustment, say like the one on the Pentax spot meter eyepiece?

Walter Calahan
31-Jan-2007, 08:48
Actually our eyes vary from day to day regarding focus, so locking in your loupe today doesn't mean it will be set correctly for your eyes two weeks from now. That said, I'm sure there a loupe out there that can be locked. I just don't own any.

David A. Goldfarb
31-Jan-2007, 09:46
If you have an adjustable loupe that you like, you can add this inexpensive locking device that fits across the eyepiece ring and the barrel to keep it from drifting. It is also useful for many other equipment locking applications--

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=Search&A=details&Q=&sku=271583&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

John Hoang
31-Jan-2007, 09:50
I 'lock' my loupe using masking tape, about 1.5 full circle. I re-adjust and re-tape it maybe twice a year to match my eyesight. It does not look too bad if you do it carefuly.

Ed Richards
31-Jan-2007, 10:28
Gaffer tape. Duhh. I even have a roll sitting on the desk. It is hell getting old.:-)

C. D. Keth
31-Jan-2007, 10:46
Put a dot of the non-locking loc-tite on the threads. That will make it adjustable, but only when you intend to adjust it.

Alan Davenport
31-Jan-2007, 10:49
Man ain't that the truth. About 7 years ago, it was like someone flicked a light switch and all at once my eyes got old.

Now, when I shoot, it's my regular glasses to choose the scene, then take the glasses off while I set up the camera. Reading glasses to compose the shot on the groundglass, take them off and use a loupe for fine focus, put the readers back on to see the darn meter and the settings on the shutter... When I use a lot of movements, there are generally several iterations between loupe and reading glasses, or no glasses.

However, I firmly hold to the belief that getting old beats the alternative.

John Bartley
31-Jan-2007, 14:11
.... what Alan said .... in spades :)

cheers eh?

gregstidham
31-Jan-2007, 19:30
Put a dot of the non-locking loc-tite on the threads. That will make it adjustable, but only when you intend to adjust it.
I always just used tape, but your idea is great. Thanks, I will try it.

Brian Ellis
31-Jan-2007, 22:22
A little Elmer's glue has gone a long way with my Peak loupes.

naturephoto1
1-Feb-2007, 08:29
A little electrical tape will also work well.

Rich

GPS
1-Feb-2007, 13:50
... you can add this inexpensive locking device that fits across the eyepiece ring and the barrel to keep it from drifting. ...
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=Search&A=details&Q=&sku=271583&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

I 'lock' my loupe using masking tape, about 1.5 full circle. ....

A little electrical tape will also work well. ..

Rich

All this makes me wonder - would an adhesive tape do..???

Eric Biggerstaff
1-Feb-2007, 13:53
Ok, I have one of the Calumet/Horseman 7X loups that can be adjusted. But how does this work? Do I first focus with my glasses on, then take them of and adjust until the image is once again sharp? I have never used the adjustment but would like to.

GPS
1-Feb-2007, 13:59
With or without your glasses first focus the picture on the gg. Then put the lupe on it and focus the lupe so that you get the maximum sharpness of the given picture. Then you can again refocus the picture on the gg with the camera focusing knob. Sorry if I misunderstood your question.

John Hoang
1-Feb-2007, 19:37
Eric, I find it best to adjust the loupe with a slide on a light box. By using progressive eye glasses, you can keep the glasses on while focusing with or without the loupe. Problem is some people are not comfortable with progressive eye glasses because of their narrower viewing agle. If you are not using those, give them a try. I tried once and can never be without it.

GPS
2-Feb-2007, 02:27
Eric, I find it best to adjust the loupe with a slide on a light box. ...

Focusing a loupe for a slide on a light box and for use on gg are, of course, two different actions even if of the same kind. If you focus the loupe for a slide, it won't be focused for use on your gg. The gg surface you focus on is more distant than the film surface of a slide because of the glass thickness separating it from the loupe.

Eric Biggerstaff
2-Feb-2007, 10:34
Thanks for the help everyone.

I am off to go photographing for a few hours and will try to get it adjusted.

John Hoang
2-Feb-2007, 17:18
GPS, You are exactly right.