PDA

View Full Version : 305mm portrait lens

chris_4622
30-Jan-2007, 04:47
Hi,
Does anyone know the size of the filter thread for the Kodak 305mm portrait lens ? Is it in millimeters? My rough way of measuring came up with 3 3/8".

chris

Ash
30-Jan-2007, 07:39
Chris, I'd recommend stopping by your local tool shop and picking up a set of calipers. They're really cheap and you'll be able to check diameters/thread sizes for all your future lenses/needs

andy bessette
30-Jan-2007, 18:14
Chris, I'd recommend stopping by your local tool shop and picking up a set of calipers. They're really cheap and you'll be able to check diameters/thread sizes for all your future lenses/needs

Yo,

I second that. There is a plastic dial caliper with enough precision to be useful (General brand is one) available in most hardware stores. It's east to read, and won't scrath your lenses.

best, andy

Jim Rice
30-Jan-2007, 20:41
Very often older lenses (especially American made ones) do not have standard filter threads. Through , say, the 1950's series sized filters ruled and slip on adapters were required. Sadly these filters and adapters have largely fallen into dustbins of history. I know y'all get tired of me suggesting it, but here it goes again:

Get a filter step-up ring whose absolute minimum inside diameter is just a little larger than the outside diameter of the front of your lens barrel. Go to your local drug store or stationers and get an assortment of rubber bands. Find a rubber band that when stretched around the nose of your lens makes an appropriate gasket to provide an interference fit with the step-up ring. For my 16.5" apo-artar and a 67>72 ring the rubber band was about 3/8" diameter un-stretched and about 3/16" wide. Try to get the ring as parallel to the front of your lens as possible.

Voila, a standard filter thread on a classic lens. S.K. Grimes has a different system which also includes rubber bands, but runs about $50~60 more.

chris_4622
31-Jan-2007, 05:54
I have a filter holder that screws into the front of this lens. I was hoping to get some step down rings to use this holder and filters on my other lenses but I don't know what size the threads are and whether they're a U.S. standard or metric thread. I'll try the plastic caliper method.

Ted Harris
31-Jan-2007, 06:58
chris, you can also call Jim at Midwest. he will have the appropriate rings and he recently acquired one of these lenses so he can tell you.

John Berry
31-Jan-2007, 23:35
It's a series 9. I gots me one.

olegkasko
8-Feb-2019, 13:15
Hello everybody. I have the same problem with this lens. I can't understand what the filter thread it is and there is not any shop where I could check it with different filters.
I measure the lens with a ruler and for me it looks like ~87mm. The most interesting is that this is something in between of what there is in the online stores (there are 86mm and 88mm filter sizes).
Does anyone know the accurate size of the filter thread for the Kodak 305mm portrait lens ?

Bernice Loui
8-Feb-2019, 13:22
Series nine filters for the Kodak 305mm (12") Portrait Ektar. This is the correct filter for both barrel and Ilex# 5 shutter versions.

The 16" Kodak Portrait Ektar (in barrel only) require larger filter.

Bernice

Hello everybody. I have the same problem with this lens. I can't understand what the filter thread it is and there is not any shop where I could check it with different filters.
I measure the lens with a ruler and for me it looks like ~87mm. The most interesting is that this is something in between what is in the online stores (there are 86mm and 88mm filter sizes).
Does anyone know the accurate size of the filter thread for the Kodak 305mm portrait lens ?

EdSawyer
8-Feb-2019, 13:30
generally all the old Kodak lenses used series filters, for the most part.

olegkasko
8-Feb-2019, 13:40
Series nine filters for the Kodak 305mm (12") Portrait Ektar. This is the correct filter for both barrel and Ilex# 5 shutter versions.

Thanks! I found out that Series9 is 87.3mm
http://prntscr.com/mijsgm
Now I just have to make the right step-up ring to mount my color filters.

Thank you!

Bernice Loui
8-Feb-2019, 13:51
Been at this for decades, never seen a series nine to threaded filter step ring.
What is typically available is threaded filter size to series filter holder.

Bernice

Thanks! I found out that Series9 is 87.3mm
http://prntscr.com/mijsgm
Now I just have to make the right step-up ring to mount my color filters.

Thank you!