PDA

View Full Version : 4x5 View Camera Photographers Who Use Roll-film

Charles Mangano
6-Aug-2000, 09:12
1. Which roll-film format(s) do you use and why? 2. If you use more than one format, a. Which one do you use most often and why? b. How do you decide which one you will use for a particular image? c. Do you use a different holder for each format or a multi-format holder? 3. Do you: a. remove & replace the GG to use a roll-film holder, b. use a slider/rotary back to more quickly switch between the GG & the roll-film holder, c. or use a slide-in roll-film holder and why? Thanks,

Ellis Vener
6-Aug-2000, 16:54
1 6x9cm. I like the aspect ratio.

2.) N/A

3.) the former. I use the Horsema n roll film back. I used to own the Sinar 6x7 roll film back, which slips in under the GG frame, and found that to be excellent too. In a foolish move I sold it years ago when I thought I'd stop using an LF camera. I really liked that back.

Mark Windom
7-Aug-2000, 01:34
1. 6X9----because it is directly proportional to 70mm which my stock agency dupes to. One drawback to this format that I have found is the amount of cropping that needs to be done if dealing with a calendar company that produces "square" calendars.

2. N/A----I would consider the 6X7 as my second choice.

3. I also use the Horseman. Removing the GG on my Wista is easy to do. The Horseman holders have excellent reputations and in 5 years of heavy use I have never had a problem with mine.

Dave Schneidr
7-Aug-2000, 12:20
I use a 6x9 (Toyo) and a 6x8 (Graphlex). I prefer the 6x9 since it gives me the wider angle of view. I have never cared for the 6x7, among the reasons is that 10 exposures per roll is difficult to file and make contact sheets. I remove the ground glass with both holders even though the Toyo is designed to slip under the glass. It is very thick and the force required to insert it may knock my old camera out of alignment.

Dave_958
8-Aug-2000, 05:37
Charles -- I occasionally use 6 x 9 roll film back, especially when I expect to make a 11 x 14 print. I may have roll film back loaded with color negative film when I prefer a lower contrast image, while I mainly use higher contrast transparency film with 4 x 5. I have never experienced light leaks with roll film back, but on occasion I do lose Quikload/Readyload shots because of light leaks incidental to accidental bending of film as I shove the film back into film holder.

Regard