PDA

View Full Version : Wish me luck!

Ben Chase
25-Jan-2007, 21:05
Well I'm off to the Banff area for a friend until Monday morning for hopefully some good winter LF shots. If anyone is in the area, you just might see us!

Cheers,

Ben C

Ralph Barker
25-Jan-2007, 21:25
Good luck, Ben, and good light, as well.

Ron Marshall
25-Jan-2007, 21:59
I've only been in summer, but it must be fantastic in winter. Good shooting!

Capocheny
25-Jan-2007, 23:32
Ben,

Make sure to take warm clothing... temperatures are running in the minus 1 range and going lower through the week!

Anyway... have fun and good luck with the shooting! :)

Cheers

Ben Chase
29-Jan-2007, 20:11
Ben,

Make sure to take warm clothing... temperatures are running in the minus 1 range and going lower through the week!

Anyway... have fun and good luck with the shooting! :)

Cheers

Yeah, you aren't kidding, I just got back and let me tell you....It was VERY cold.

I shot 29 sheets of film..a little more than I expected. Hwy 93 North (the parkway) was a disaster zone. I saw a vehicle that had flipped end over end and came to rest in the 3-4 feet of snow along the side of the road. I stopped to have a peek and the windows were still fogged from someone's breath, but no one was inside and all the windows were intact (amazingly). Lots of other vehicles were either flipped over (including a semi truck!), or completely buried in the snow from sliding off the road.

Nuts. Next time I may avoid the parkway altogether during the evening in winter.

Ben C

Capocheny
29-Jan-2007, 20:39
Hi Ben,

Accidents aren't totally foreign to that area during the winter time... good to hear you weren't involved in one. :)

Did you manage to get down to Vermillion Lakes? That's such a beautiful shot in winter. Long, long before I got into LF (when shooting 35 mm) I use to hike down to the lake just to take that shot (and froze my butt off too! :))

Lake Louise, with the Rockies in the background, was also another favorite area to shoot during winter.

That location is really a great area to shoot in the winter! :)

I'll bet the time just flew by!

Cheers

photoshots
2-Feb-2007, 01:43
Hope that when you get back you could share some of your shots!

richard brown
11-Feb-2007, 20:45
hi there from a local resident....huge snowfalls from lake louise west so drive out to field, british columbia...half hour west of Louise and great scenery...and the Truffles and Pigs restaurant in Field.
photo shows .....in banff, craig richards and in my home, Canmore...the local artists guild has a lovely photo show ( I just hung it last week) at the library/gallery.
Good weather after tomorrow so enjoy and good shooting....you might see me out on friday with my 4x5.....
Safe Journey, Richard

eddie
19-Feb-2007, 16:53
awe man! i want to go!!! have fun. post some shots.

eddie

Fred Braakman
19-Feb-2007, 22:13
Hi Ben,
I was at Abraham Lake this weekend, only for a few hours, but the light was fabulous. This area can be really special at times. Located on the David Thompson highway, midway between Banff and Jasper. I approached the lake from the east, through Rocky Mountain House. Quite windy though.

I plan to go back, maybe next weekend, hopefully with my new 135 Rodenstock I ordered from Badger. Can't wait to get it. My first new lens out of the box.

Fred

Ben Chase
15-Apr-2007, 11:12
Hope that when you get back you could share some of your shots!

Well, I'm sending my stuff to get scanned, so in the next 2 weeks or so they will be posted on my website.

Now only if I could afford my own drum scanner....

Ben Chase
15-Apr-2007, 11:14
Hi Ben,

Did you manage to get down to Vermillion Lakes? That's such a beautiful shot in winter. Long, long before I got into LF (when shooting 35 mm) I use to hike down to the lake just to take that shot (and froze my butt off too! :))

Actually I pulled off a fairly decent morning shot there that I'm having scanned next week. It will be nice to see my first scans of LF film.

roteague
15-Apr-2007, 13:14
Well, I'm sending my stuff to get scanned, so in the next 2 weeks or so they will be posted on my website.

Now only if I could afford my own drum scanner....

I just use a cheap desktop scanner, Epson 4990, for my web images, and only have those transparencies drum-scanned that I plan on printing.

Ben Chase
15-Apr-2007, 13:26
I just use a cheap desktop scanner, Epson 4990, for my web images, and only have those transparencies drum-scanned that I plan on printing.

I think I might have found a happy medium. WCI can do non-wet-mounted Creo scans of 4x5 for a pretty decent price. Check it out if you have time: http://www.westcoastimaging.com/wci/page/services/scan/stockcreo.htm

I've never been happy with most flatbed scans I've tried with my 4x5 film, but I'm sure that it's partially due to the fact I have a crappy scanner (an old Microtek).

roteague
15-Apr-2007, 14:14
I think I might have found a happy medium. WCI can do non-wet-mounted Creo scans of 4x5 for a pretty decent price. Check it out if you have time: http://www.westcoastimaging.com/wci/page/services/scan/stockcreo.htm

I've never been happy with most flatbed scans I've tried with my 4x5 film, but I'm sure that it's partially due to the fact I have a crappy scanner (an old Microtek).

Thanks Ben. WCI already gets most of my printing and scanning work as it is. I didn't think about their Creo scans.

Ben Chase
15-Apr-2007, 14:24
Thanks Ben. WCI already gets most of my printing and scanning work as it is. I didn't think about their Creo scans.

I figure that this might be a good solution to getting good scans for the purpose of preview/display on my website.

I wait until I get a buyer for a particular image before I make a drum scan, so I can just eat the cost when it makes the most sense, rather than upfront.

Sideshow Bob
15-Apr-2007, 16:08
If you need a good drum scanner I have a Howtek 4500 with a bunch of spares for sale ($3400). I'm headed up to the John Day area later this week then on to the Columbia river, if you want to buy it, I'll bring it along and meet you somewhere (hehe).

Gale