PDA

View Full Version : Temporary Scarcity of Fuji Pro160S 4x5 Film

claudiocambon
25-Jan-2007, 12:26
Perhaps my post will finally result in the phone call saying that the film finally came in, but I wanted to kvetsch that I can't get 50 sheet boxes of the stuff (I don't want readyloads or 10 sheet boxes, and I hate Kodak color neg film). I've had gobs of it on order for almost a month now for a project that starts in 10 days out of the country, and no one knows when Fuji is shipping more/when it is supposed to arrive. I think it's a just a supply snag on their part, although I do wonder whether this would have happened even a few years ago in a less digital time.

At any rate, Samy's is waiting, I bought a few from Calumet, B+H is out, as is Hunts. Does anyone have any recommendations on other places in the US that might have it who are reliable and competitive in pricing? (Or do I hear in the background the scurry of feet hurriedly going to buy the stuff in my place?!! :D )

Jim Jirka
25-Jan-2007, 12:45
http://www.glazerscamera.com/

Try here. They are up in Seattle, usually have good stock, just maybe a bit more pricey than other outlets.

I went and checked out their stock and from the website it looks as though you are good to go. Call and confirm stock before ordering.

And I am no way affiliated with Glazers. It is just a local business I deal with.

Jim

Eric Leppanen
25-Jan-2007, 13:14
Looks like Freestyle may have some too:

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_main.php?cat_id=1104

BradS
25-Jan-2007, 14:33
I have not been over to Palo Alto in a few months but, Keeble and Shuchat (http://www.kspphoto.com/) usually have a whole lot of it on hand....

Ron Marshall
25-Jan-2007, 15:32
Badger has it:

http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=605

claudiocambon
25-Jan-2007, 15:35
Thanks, everyone. This has been great. I'm still giving Samy's a few more days, but I need to have my options, and appreciate all these suggestions.

Salty
25-Jan-2007, 18:21
Freestyle's website shows it, so it should be at their Santa Fe Springs store which is just off Florence Ave off the 605 frwy. You listing Long Beach as your location, it's a fairly short drive.

BrianShaw
25-Jan-2007, 18:46
Gosh... why bother with sheet film. ;) I'm looking for a local lab to process 4x5 C-41 and I was told by "the last of the great pro labs" (his claim) that there is no reason to be shooting sheet film anymore. As he said "Trust me..." -- I never heard the rest of hte sentence because I hung up the phone before he could finish the sentence.

claudiocambon
25-Jan-2007, 18:55
Gosh... why bother with sheet film. ;) I'm looking for a local lab to process 4x5 C-41 and I was told by "the last of the great pro labs" (his claim) that there is no reason to be shooting sheet film anymore. As he said "Trust me..." -- I never heard the rest of hte sentence because I hung up the phone before he could finish the sentence.

Tell me it wasn't A+I.

BrianShaw
25-Jan-2007, 20:13
Tell me it wasn't A+I.

No, it definitely was NOT A&I... but the place does have a 3-initial name that includes an "A". :D From what I heard at my local place (that still processes sheet film in both B&W and transparency), A&I is the ONLY place in LA that processes sheet C-41.

BradS
27-Jan-2007, 10:14

Sheesh....what a jerk.

That stands in stark contrast to the little pro lab up the street from me...every time I take any sheet film in there, I have to plan on staying an extra fifteen minutes to half hour to listen politley to him go on about how sheet film and view cameras are so superior to anything else and why "nobody" gets it....funny really.

He does 4x5 B&W, C-41 as well as E-6 and only charges $2.50 a sheet.

BrianShaw
27-Jan-2007, 10:52
He does 4x5 B&W, C-41 as well as E-6 and only charges $2.50 a sheet.

Do you know how really lucky you are???

I was looking for a new lab because the one I use hires counter kids who "waste" 5 minutes of my day asking "dumb" questions like: What ASA is FP-4; The box says 'Tri-X' (scribbled out) but you say its E-6, which should I believe; I need to check if this kind of film can be contact printed; etc.

It gets frustrating so I went on a quest for another lab. After talking to "the last of the great pro labs" (his claim)" I'll be going back to my regular lab and I'll stop complaining or getting frustrated over the time spent explaining and re-explaining. The lab manager put life into perspective for me when I mentioned my frustration. He said "Brian, my lab people have been working for me for 10 years; you have to realize one thing... these kids on the counter will NEVER make it into the lab."

At least I'll still be able to get B&W and E-6 done; C-41 will take a bit more effort since A&I involves a drive "over the hill".

You are very, very lucky!