PDA

View Full Version : Advanced monochrome printing

Don Wallace
22-Jan-2007, 12:34
I just got back into printing after some absence, and I realize now that I was never all that good at it in the first place. I would like to get some recommendations of good books/websites about advanced monochrome printing, particularly anything that talks about using a colour head.

My immediate question is about my equipment and contrast. I am now using a colour head (Devere 504 enlarger) and while I love the convenience of not having to change filters, I really don't seem to be getting the contrast I want. All of my negatives were developed for a condensor enlarger and thus to a slightly lower contrast (I used the guidelines recommended by Adams in "The Negative"). I crank the magenta WAY up and my prints still look a little flat to me.

Has anyone else made this shift and had similar problems?

:confused:

Nick_3536
22-Jan-2007, 13:19
You could look at The Variable Contrast Printing Manual by Anchell. The book describes how to use a step wedge to test and see what contrast grades your enlarger can achieve. Other then that The Photographer's Master Printing Course by Tim Rudman.

Assuming the filters haven't faded it's possible the negatives are too low in contrast.

Colin Robertson
22-Jan-2007, 16:31
Hi Don. You'll get advice here from people a lot more experienced than me, but I have encountered the same thing. I did shoot MF and print in a condensor enlarger. When I moved up to 5x4 I bought an LPL with colour diffusion head. Immediately I saw a BIG loss of contrast. You will probably find that negs developed to print well in a condensor system will be way too flat. You will need to find a new developing time for your favourite film(s) which boosts contrast. For example, the suggested time for FP4 in Ilfosol is 5 minutes. MY standard time is 6 and a half, with 8 minutes for gloomy, low contrast conditions. I'm not telling you that YOU need those times, but you will need to find times to suit your film/meter/developer/enlarger system.

Merg Ross
22-Jan-2007, 17:07
Don, you may find a four part tutorial by Alan Ross helpful. It was available on cd from View Camera Magazine.

John Cahill
22-Jan-2007, 17:11
In ye oldene dayz, they told us just to use a single grade higher paper when printing with a diffusion enlarger rather than condensor.

brian steinberger
22-Jan-2007, 22:31
The "Variable Contrast Printing Manual" is a great suggestion. I would also recommend "Way Beyond Monochrome," by Lambrecht and Woodhouse. I consider this book my "Holy Bible" to Advanced darkroom work.

John Berry
25-Jan-2007, 00:00
This is why we all NEED to have both types of enlarger setting next to each other.

Colin Robertson
25-Jan-2007, 01:58
Yup. Only now I need a bigger darkroom (Oh, and somewhere to put the 10x8 enlarger I think I might need one day soon . . )

Bobf
25-Jan-2007, 06:53
Another option is to check the paper/developer combination you are using: some VC paper will not go above grade 3.5 - 4 in some developers regardless of filtration (Kentmere Fineprint FB in Ilford/Harman Warmtone developer is my most recent experience, although it almost matches MGIV in warm Ansco 130).

Cheers, Bob.

John Berry
26-Jan-2007, 21:33
Yup. Only now I need a bigger darkroom (Oh, and somewhere to put the 10x8 enlarger I think I might need one day soon . . ) My salsman lives in the garage. 10' colom, 14' celing.

Don Wallace
31-Jan-2007, 08:59
In ye oldene dayz, they told us just to use a single grade higher paper when printing with a diffusion enlarger rather than condensor.

This seems to be the case! Thanks to all who replied.